Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the deal with TC weight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default What's the deal with TC weight?

It seems like all of a sudden, we're trying to reduce the minimum weight rules for sedans. I see ROAR plans to make changes, Snowbirds has a much lower weight, and I think Novak as well?

So what's reasoning behind this? Is it to kill of NiMH? To benefit designs like the Type-R and E4? Is this really the best move, or is it change for the sake of change? And, finally, what's the new standard weight going to be?

One really nice thing about LiPo is that it gives just about any car the opportunity to be right at the legal weight limit without all kinds of crazy concessions, like titanium screws and LW bodies. With lighter batteries, wouldn't it make more sense to increase the durability of the cars (likely making them heavier)?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Here in Melbourne, Australia they have changed the min weight to 1425grams. They believe this is the way rc is going so they have made the change to be effective of jan 1st 2009.

I believe 1450 grams would of been a better min weight as its easier for some one with Nimh packs to get there car to that min weight.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I say its a good move....I know with the 08 I had to add like 140g of weight to meet the 1525 for rubber tire. Also another racer with a Type R had to add almost as much about 130g of weight to make 1525. Now what I think would be a better change would be short bl motors so they dont hang so far off to one side.......of course the Tamaya(sp) guys dont have to worry as much with there 90% blue car...
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mild seven
Here in Melbourne, Australia they have changed the min weight to 1425grams. They believe this is the way rc is going so they have made the change to be effective of jan 1st 2009.

I believe 1450 grams would of been a better min weight as its easier for some one with Nimh packs to get there car to that min weight.
Nope legal as of the 1st of Dec
Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Adam?
It seems like all of a sudden, we're trying to reduce the minimum weight rules for sedans. I see ROAR plans to make changes, Snowbirds has a much lower weight, and I think Novak as well?

So what's reasoning behind this? Is it to kill of NiMH? To benefit designs like the Type-R and E4? Is this really the best move, or is it change for the sake of change? And, finally, what's the new standard weight going to be?

One really nice thing about LiPo is that it gives just about any car the opportunity to be right at the legal weight limit without all kinds of crazy concessions, like titanium screws and LW bodies. With lighter batteries, wouldn't it make more sense to increase the durability of the cars (likely making them heavier)?
I think decisions to reduce weight limits in TC are a bit premature.

As it stands there is not one chassis on the market that has been designed for LiPo, everything out there has six slots in the chassis. We have just finished an IFMAR world championship where NiMH was the only cell used.

LiPo is still a very young technology in RC cars, really it is only during the course of the last year that people have started to look at it seriously, and I know a lot of people locally who either prefer the feel of their car with NiMH, or are not prepared to dump all their cells and buy new just because it is the latest trend.

To decrease weight limits now will just penalise NiMH users and only serve to split up the racing community - when what we really need now is a consensus. Electric on-road has too many classes, too many voltages, too many equivalencies already.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Minimum weight in sweden is 1400 and we use NiMh 5 cells.
We dont use LiPo in competitions.

My Kyosho SHIN has a weight of ~1350 fully tuned and i need to add some extra weight.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
I think decisions to reduce weight limits in TC are a bit premature.

As it stands there is not one chassis on the market that has been designed for LiPo, everything out there has six slots in the chassis. We have just finished an IFMAR world championship where NiMH was the only cell used.

LiPo is still a very young technology in RC cars, really it is only during the course of the last year that people have started to look at it seriously, and I know a lot of people locally who either prefer the feel of their car with NiMH, or are not prepared to dump all their cells and buy new just because it is the latest trend.

To decrease weight limits now will just penalise NiMH users and only serve to split up the racing community - when what we really need now is a consensus. Electric on-road has too many classes, too many voltages, too many equivalencies already.
In the U.S. this trend is a lot different then Europe, as most of Europe seems to be running 5 cell. (to which there is not an equivalent Lipo battery).

In the U.S., the majority of the drivers were using Lipo. I know some guys stayed with Nimh, primarily if they were going to run in Worlds since they had to run them there.

But overall, here in the U.S. at the national events it seems most of the drivers have already switched to Lipo.

I do find it amusing that you're complaining about the voltage differences, when it was the European block that introduced 5 cell.

I'm glad that ROAR was proactive and lowered the weight.

Paul
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Lower weight stands to benefit the car's durability, when you hit things the lower mass should translate into fewer broken parts. It will also reduce tire wear, assuming your track runs a spec tire/hardness, otherwise that's a wash, people will just use the next softer tire. Lipo is better in every way so it's time to embrace it. Races like worlds/nationals are irrelevant to the racers that buy the products and use them in club racing.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

can't you run TC's the way FullScale on-road racing had handicaps for power and performance?

For instance, if a racer were to use the super light, but less powered $35.00 Orion 2400 LIPO vs a much higher priced, higher output SMC 5000 priced at $129.95 (priced at the top of this page in a STORMER HOBBIES ad) Give that combo the weight break difference in actual weight between those 2 packs.

In the On-Road racing I grew up watching (real cars) they always ran cars of different weights, and power...and handicapped them in some way to make them perform more equal on the track. Why shouldn't SCALE racing be similar...then RUN THEM Together.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
can't you run TC's the way FullScale on-road racing had handicaps for power and performance?

For instance, if a racer were to use the super light, but less powered $35.00 Orion 2400 LIPO vs a much higher priced, higher output SMC 5000 priced at $129.95 (priced at the top of this page in a STORMER HOBBIES ad) Give that combo the weight break difference in actual weight between those 2 packs.

In the On-Road racing I grew up watching (real cars) they always ran cars of different weights, and power...and handicapped them in some way to make them perform more equal on the track. Why shouldn't SCALE racing be similar...then RUN THEM Together.
Kinda falls into the KISS principal....(Keep it simple stupid)....no pun intended..
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Lower weight stands to benefit the car's durability, when you hit things the lower mass should translate into fewer broken parts. It will also reduce tire wear, assuming your track runs a spec tire/hardness, otherwise that's a wash, people will just use the next softer tire. Lipo is better in every way so it's time to embrace it. Races like worlds/nationals are irrelevant to the racers that buy the products and use them in club racing.
That is offset a little by the fact that the cars will be faster at a lighter weight. It is amazing what big a difference two identical cars at 100g difference in weight can do to the speed. A lot more then I thought it would be!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

As a BL lipo user, I'd like to see weight limits come down. To make weight I have to add strips upon strips of lead weights to my car (TA05 w/ tub chassis) and might even look to replacing my titanium screws back to steel (haha)

But in my few months of on-road racing, I've noticed that on-roaders love to scrutinize minutiae and b*tch and complain over every little thing. Foam, rubber, nimh, lipo, brushed, brushless, this body, that body... You're penalizing this group, that group. It's too expensive, etc. etc. etc...gah!

I do applaud ROAR for this though...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

My club run lipo and brushless. 1525 is what we run and my tc5 almost 200 grams under, if I don't add lead. I wish ROAR would lower the minimum. 1525 is easier to get if you run nimh.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think people are over-looking the fact that most cars as they are designed today need the extra weight to balance them (since they were designed for nimh). If you lower the weight you are penalizing people with cars of that design (most except Losi and TM). Once I balance my TC5 I need to add very little additional weight to get to 1525g.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by or8ital
I think people are over-looking the fact that most cars as they are designed today need the extra weight to balance them (since they were designed for nimh). If you lower the weight you are penalizing people with cars of that design (most except Losi and TM). Once I balance my TC5 I need to add very little additional weight to get to 1525g.
Yep! And since the LiPos we use take up the same physical space as NiMH, it's not exactly feasible to move electronics around for balance like the 5 cell guys do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.