R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Setting Tweak, is there a new way? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/258227-setting-tweak-there-new-way.html)

alcyon 12-06-2008 05:05 AM

Setting Tweak, is there a new way?

i have been facing this problem and i only noticed it recently. i am sure all you guys set tweak on your TC right? well here is the way i do it.
i would adjust camber on a flat surface,then put a knife to the middle of the front, then lift the knife up too see which wheel lifts off first. so the left front wheel lifts, so i turn the shock collars on the rear shocks to put more pressure on the rear right wheel, and reduce prerssure on the right left wheel.. now the front is flat. then i repeat the process for rear. so i see the right rear wheel lifts. so i increase the shock collar on the front right wheel and reduce the front left one,now rear also flat.
after that i double check camber front and rear and double check tweak until the front and the rears touch the flat surface at the same time.Now every wheel is perfectly tweaked. i even make sure the anti roll bARS are pushing each side evenly by adjusting the linkages. so now i have the front right shock and the left rear shock pushing down on the respective springs more than its counterpart on the other side. funny thing is even though the tweak is perfect, but my car oversteers to the left, and understeers turning right.

i have a theory. i think its because the right rear spring is pushing down less that the left rear, and the fron right is pushing down more than the front left, when turning right, since the left rear spring is pushing harder, the body rolls less, making sure both rear wheels touch the groud, so i have traction hence understeer. when i turn left, its the right rear shock thats pushing down less, so it causes the rear right side to roll more easily to the right, causing loss of grip on the left outer wheel, hence the oversteer. I can still vouch that its better than setting alll the shock collars the same height. But my question is, how do i solve this problem? is there some other way to set tweak with the left rear, right rear, then left front right front shock collars are the same height? i dont know how to solve my tweak problem now. i am at wits end. please HELP!!!

Dasmopar 12-06-2008 05:15 AM

You are sorta correct. You have more preload on one spring so that corner is not going to take as much load to start making even more resistance against upward movement. One way to correct this is to balance the chassis better by moving your rec. esc. transponder, ect around in the chassis so the car is better balanced to start with so you don't have to have more preload in one corner to balance the chassis. You always wanna make sure the chassis sits dead flat on a flat surface with no wheels on it. AKA make sure the chassis it's self is not tweaked.

Roelof 12-06-2008 05:15 AM

http://www.redrc.net/2007/07/3racing...tweak-station/

http://www.redrc.net/2007/05/cs-elec...l-tweak-board/

Cammer 12-06-2008 05:30 AM

Not really a new way but maybe the best way. Buy 4 small digital scales, you can do this with one or two but 4 is the easiest to explain. With your chassis ready to race less the body, place your chassis on two of the scales. One on each side of the car (l to R), make sure the scales are the same distance away from the center. Start rearranging your electronics and weights to balance the car as best you can. Once the car is balanced, set you ride height to where you would normally race, make sure all other adjustments are in line, especially your droop as it could be out of whack after adjusting your ride height. Place the car on the four scales, and do your spring adjustments as did earlier to transfer weight left/right fore/aft. Check your ride height again. This should give you a balanced car with the correct pressure on each wheel. When I do this with a pan car I first weigh the pod separate and adjust my weights slightly as it is unsprung weight.

alcyon 12-06-2008 05:31 AM

dude, those things will help, but wont solve my problem, i still have to adjust the chock collars!

alcyon 12-06-2008 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dasmopar (Post 5134083)
You are sorta correct. You have more preload on one spring so that corner is not going to take as much load to start making even more resistance against upward movement. One way to correct this is to balance the chassis better by moving your rec. esc. transponder, ect around in the chassis so the car is better balanced to start with so you don't have to have more preload in one corner to balance the chassis. You always wanna make sure the chassis sits dead flat on a flat surface with no wheels on it. AKA make sure the chassis it's self is not tweaked.

thanks dude, i will experiment with some weights to place around, now i have to find the right spots to place them!! i cant move the esc around too much, theres just no room!

1fastdude 12-06-2008 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by alcyon (Post 5134068)
i have been facing this problem and i only noticed it recently. i am sure all you guys set tweak on your TC right? well here is the way i do it.
i would adjust camber on a flat surface,then put a knife to the middle of the front, then lift the knife up too see which wheel lifts off first. so the left front wheel lifts, so i turn the shock collars on the rear shocks to put more pressure on the rear right wheel, and reduce prerssure on the right left wheel.. now the front is flat. !

What you are explaining is where your droop is set, not tweak!

alcyon 12-06-2008 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by 1fastdude (Post 5134150)
What you are explaining is where your droop is set, not tweak!

really, then how do you set tweak? cause i always thought droop was your shocks at full extension, i set my rear shocks to 65mm full extension, front 62.5mm full extension, without droop screws. droop is equal left to right always. do correct me if i am wrong, cause we sure can learn a lot more.

1fastdude 12-06-2008 08:57 AM

To set tweak you need scales or a tweak board. You can also set tweak if your droop screws are backed all the way off and your arms do not hit the chassis when lifting up by using an exacto.