Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEST ESC AND MOTOR!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? BEST ESC AND MOTOR!

My son and I are going to start from scratch to making a t4. all aluminum. And we want a super fast t4. we are gearing it at 31/76 and don't know what kind of esc and motor to get! the novak
Novak Havoc Sport Sensored Brushless System w/8.5 motor says it will make your car go 40mph. And we want faster. I also have looked at the mamba max 5700kv. We want to drive off road and on road. need suggestions!!
and the motor cant be over 150 and the esc cant be over 110 or a complete set of 230.
and we want to go brushless!!!!

thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you really wanna go crazy with speed. Go for LRP Sphere TC Spec with 3.0 turn vector X-11 brushless motor.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

I just put together a TC4 I have both the mamba Max 5700 and 7700 motors. I am running the stock Spur gear and switch between a 19 pinion and 21 pinion. I use SMC 5000 2C lipos.

The car is extremely fast with the 5700 motor and close to uncontrollably fast with the 7700.

My 100 foot speed calculation on the 5700 with the 19 tooth gave me est 44 MPH
On the 7700 it was 51 MPH.

I used some agressive ESC settings through. A bit more timing and punch( an aweome feature with the Mamba)

The 21 tooth would make both a bit faster, although a slower start

I wanted a fast car to, but in reality, these speeds are so fast when you are actually driving the car it is hard to comprehend and it takes a LOT of skill. To enjoy this speed you can only go to empty Home Depot// Costo//Walmart lots...anything else and the car is so fast you risk hitting something.

All of this is easily in your budget, Although you have the pricing swapped, the ESC shoud be the more expensive componant. The kit is 180.00 to 200.00 new on ebay for the 7700 and 125-140 for the 5700.. just make sure you get the castle link

Last edited by Fergup; 12-08-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Honestly, after certain speeds, it's not really fun anymore. It's awesome to see it fly through a parking lot, but what's the point if you're going so fast that you can't turn?

the mamba max is probably going to be your best bet, some people say it's not smooth enough for racing, but if you're just giong for top speed runs, it'll be cheap (relatively), reliable and fast.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

well its not just about top speed. im going to the hobby races on saturday by the hobby shop. im like a begginner and stuff and i race the oval. and i like it too. its just that i want to win every time.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Novak GTB or Havoc with the 17.5 or 13.5 and have fun!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

If you want to go fast, you have to start slow. I know it's a cliché here, but it's true. Having a fast car is one thing, keeping it under control is another.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You want something that fast and want to race and your a beginner. I race Trans Am. Thats a 27t motor and a 4 cell pack and I have problems with that. I wouldn't get ahead of yourself start slow if your going to race it will be alot more fun.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djoplin
well its not just about top speed. im going to the hobby races on saturday by the hobby shop. im like a begginner and stuff and i race the oval. and i like it too. its just that i want to win every time.
You may never win a race. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just reality. If you do win a race I can guarantee you that it will have little to do with what ESC and motor you bought. Really what you need to do is figure out what wind motor most of the fast guys at the track are using. Then purchase a similar motor and an ESC from one of several companies and work on your driving. There are a lot of new generation ESC's coming to market now and I'd suggest you go with one of those.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am a beginner in the on road area. Let me give my .02. Beginner+ alum.=a jacked up tweaked piece of junk. I bet I went through 3 sets of alum front c-hubs on my xray before I figured out that composite was way better for a properly set up car. Sometimes its better to just break a part. At least then you know that something is wrong and can fix it and learn how drive better instead of having something warped and wondering what the hell is wrong with your car.

alum may not break as easy but it sure does bend when you smack a wall at 50mph.

If you still want to fly low without clearance I got a novak 3.5r i'll sell you can hit 70mph if you gear it right