R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
I've had fun debating this one before. My son, and a lot of the youngsters that race have never, not one time, paid for a car, a part, entry fees, travel expenses, hotel or food. Not once. The best of whatever he needs, for free. What is it that a professional sponsored driver gets?

"sponsored drivers" is a one size catch all phrase that people use to mask the weaknesses in their own driving.
What is it that a professional sponsored driver gets? Equipment that you cant buy. Setup and technical advise you have no clue about. Daddy is not a sponsor. Was daddy at that big race the last 5 years with 4 guys feeding him setup info on what works and what does not? No. Did daddy show up with a setup that has worked for the last 2 years on his car? No.

Not even sure how to respond to that last comment.

Quote:
I'm confident that if I swapped cars with Mike Blackstock, he would still win a major event (now with my car) and I'd be back in 40th with his "sponsored" car. Why is that? And for the record, no amount of free parts will change my 40th position. Why is that?
There is no way he would win a major race with your car. The pro's have there cars perfectly setup and dialed in for them. Sure they would beat most guys but they couldnt compeat at the highest level with it. You would probly be still stuck in 40th though.

Quote:
The problem is that some drivers are simply better than others, and there's really know way around it. You can't buy skill. Although the first guy to figure out how to do it will make a bundle. ...lol...
No you cant buy skill but the teams can help setup your ride and give you driving advise that daddy cant give you. Can daddy tell you how to get threw the switch back at full throttle? No but the team has 2 guys that are doing it and can tell you how. Can daddy hit the double with out over shooting the corner? No but there are guys on the team that can and will tell you how.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Technically, if it was the most "entered" class, then yes, we would need it. Dump the least entered class. Entry numbers dictate what classes events use.
I really like the way you think, Bob. You always have an amusing way of looking at things. (no sarcasm intended) Here's one for you. If the class is not offered at the national level, then technically it IS the least entered class.
I guess my point was that we keep adding these "less expensive, more fun" classes and immediately think that we need to name a national champion for them. They seem to be fads of the hobby and only dilute the established programs. The Novak race took a big step last year and only allowed brushless motors. There were alot of people that said it wouldn't work, but it did. People will adapt to what they are offered rather than trying to offer everything and further feed the problem.

BTW, I will change my name to "stiltskin-stormer" if you want to throw a few free cars and parts my way. But I'm not going to call you Daddy.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

mini should be cut
Old 12-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
What is it that a professional sponsored driver gets? Equipment that you cant buy. Setup and technical advise you have no clue about. Daddy is not a sponsor.
Mind you, just a fun debate.

What makes you feel that everything the pro's get is better? I was sponsored for a while as a youngster. I was flown to a race by a company to promote their tires. They sucked, but I made the best of it, and did what I was supposed to do. But it would have been easier with a different brand (the brand that was winning at the time).. Pro's are pro's because they can make it work. Sometimes it's harder, but they can make it happen.

Every team is busting their humps on forums just like this one handing out free information to anybody interested. If you walk up to somebody like Burch at a race, he will gladly hand you his exact setup. He wants you to be successful, and frankly companys need to see cars (their cars) finish as high as possible.

It's good business to have LOTS of your cars finish high up. That guy in the "G" main is gonna come on a forum like this and RAVE about the setup he got off of Burch and how it was the BEST driving car ever. People don't care if Burch is fast. People only care that THEY are fast. And that's fair and reasonable.

I will debate that parents "are a sponsor" deal to the bitter end. Most factory drivers don't get as good a deal as kids get from their folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
There is no way he would win a major race with your car. The pro's have there cars perfectly setup and dialed in for them. Sure they would beat most guys but they couldnt compeat at the highest level with it. You would probly be still stuck in 40th though.
Probably not with my setup on it. Their gonna look at it, find all the things I missed, and kick ass with it. BUT even with my setup (or yours), most good drivers can drop .2-.3 off per lap with your car, as is, over you driving it. I've seen it done many times.... and it irritates me EVERY SINGLE TIME... ...lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
I really like the way you think, Bob. You always have an amusing way of looking at things. (no sarcasm intended)
I appreciate that you see the humor in it. I'm advised to not post on the forums. But I do it anyway.

Quote:
Here's one for you. If the class is not offered at the national level, then technically it IS the least entered class.
I guess my point was that we keep adding these "less expensive, more fun" classes and immediately think that we need to name a national champion for them. They seem to be fads of the hobby and only dilute the established programs. The Novak race took a big step last year and only allowed brushless motors. There were alot of people that said it wouldn't work, but it did. People will adapt to what they are offered rather than trying to offer everything and further feed the problem.
I think it's natural to add a class and then "throw a big event" for it. It's fun, you're interested, why not? It's fun to try different things. It would be boring if we didn't. Just like TV, my favorite shows change all the time as my tastes and interests change.

Quote:
BTW, I will change my name to "stiltskin-stormer" if you want to throw a few free cars and parts my way.
Excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
mini should be cut
<---slaps Vazzo for removing the funnest class EVER.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Mind you, just a fun debate.
Sorry, missed that part on your first post.

Quote:
BUT even with my setup (or yours), most good drivers can drop .2-.3 off per lap with your car, as is, over you driving it. I've seen it done many times.... and it irritates me EVERY SINGLE TIME... ...lol...
Ya, I had a factory guy do that to me one day. Local fast guy that wins just about every time everywhere was .1 or .2 faster. Factory guy was .2 in front of him. WITH MY CAR. Thats when I really started to watch there lines. Loved racing with those guys. So much knowledge to be picked up. They would throw tips all the time. That is what you get from a team sponsor. Way more knowledge.

I roomed with a motor sponsored driver at cleveland once. He asked if I needed anything for the race. Sure, 10 dbl should be a good pick for a small track. That motor would destroy my store bought 8 turn motor in every way. Just sickening how fast it was. Would have loved to get ahold of a team pack !!!

Sorry, over the counter stuff is diffrent than what the team guys are getting at big races.

Guess I should have said "Team sponsored" instead of "sponsored" ?

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

ban 12th scale
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
ban 12th scale
More importantly, how many people know what a b18c is?

now THAT is how you hijack a thread.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 12-08-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #68
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last big race we had I raced 4 classes. Had a blast. Would have raced the other 2 but didnt have enough battery packs....lol. Btw finished 2nd in 3 of those classes.

I had to bribe my son with a new video game to corner marshall for me but it was well worth it. I race so many classes because I want to race and I have all these cars i dont get to run all the time at club races because there isnt enough time between rounds. I do run 3 classes alot of times though. Keeps me busy doing what I love best......racing my toy cars.

Signing up and racing all those classes shows support for the race promoter which helps to ensure the race will be held the next year. And hey there is only one winner for each class so the chances of you actually pulling off a 1st place trophy are not all that great. So what is it really you are trying accomplish by attending a big race? How about to race your car(s). Doesnt matter if you win or come in last you still raced. Might need to re-evaluate YOUR reasons.