What class should be cut?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What class should be cut?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Open mod is ridiculous and unattainable for most of us. If it were something more reasonable (like 10.5) I think you'd see more guys give it a shot, but wide open, it's just an exhibition class at big races... and a fading one at that.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Rick Hohwart has one of the best ideas.
Let me lay it out for you: the reason for mod/10.5/13.5/17.5 splits is the fact that not everybody can handle the speed. If the jumps is too great, you see unhappy racers who break their stuff too often. 13.5 is too fast for newer guys. 10.5 is like mod a couple years ago. 17.5 is about right for the new/less serious guys.

Add to this to the fact that dudes getting 100% parts or other major considerations to run the slowest class, but who don't run mod need somewhere to go.

In a perfect world there would be 2 classes, but you have money mixing into it and people's egos. It's hard to say what the best solution is.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac

Sorry no VTA at National level events.
That's what the USVTA Nats are for!!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
I like the format of the European Nationals. NO STOCK CLASSES. I mean come on, at the national level we should have the "best of the best" racing. These drivers should be way beyond the entry/beginner level of stock racing. Running Stock at National level events makes it look like a glorified club race! Stock should be reserved for beginners running at club level races.

Foam can only be kept alive for so long in the Touring class. Eliminating it from National level races will help speed up the process and move things forward. I would also like to see a Spec Foam Tire(like in WGT) used in 1/12th racing. Everyone on the same foam.

National Level Classes
13.5 or 10.5 Super Stock Rubber Touring
Open Mod Rubber Touring

1/12th GTP 13.5 or 10.5 Super Stock
1/12th GTP Open Mod

World GT 13.5

Sorry no VTA at National level events.

Last I checked Hara, Mark, Andy Moore and other international drivers signed up for Mod Foam at the iic in vegas.....

U.S. is only behind in rubber tire/asphalt...

I personally like running on rubber tires for sedan and wish that promoters would just choose one type of tire at particular events...
cleveland gets foam, vegas gets rubber tires just for example....

Hey, some of the super stock drivers might even sign up for mod instead for signing up for super stock rubber and foam...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
That's what the USVTA Nats are for!!
Exactly.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nitro doesn't have a lot of classes - 1/8th buggy, 1/8th truggy, nitro tc, 1/8th onroad. That's easy enough. Beginner and expert use same class of engine. The better drivers float to the top.

Why can't electric do the same? TC, 1/12th, buggy, truck, 4wd. Use whatever motor you can handle. If you can't handle a 3.5 with the A-mainers drive a 13.5 in the C main until you get good enough to drive a 3.5. Its a shame to see really talented drivers limited by a 13.5 motor.

Although I did like racing foam tires its so unpopular that its not worth keeping a car for foam racing.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Initiate

I've taken a break for a few years and getting back into the hobby now. Things def seem much more confusing now. With BL motors and LiPo batteries, there appears to be an endless amount of variation.

You'd think with new technology TC cars would have gained popularity. How did things get so out of control?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We should just have

- Stock and Super Stock

- Rubber in Touring Cars and Foam in Pan Cars
Old 12-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

mod and stock. pick ur poison for tires and chassis.

R
Old 12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
i dont think someone should be limited on the classes. If there payn what difference does it make. The only advantage is more track time.
The difference it makes is the amount of time every other racer at the event has to sit around while you race that extra class. It's an advantage to you, and both a disadvantage and a waste of time to everyone else.

IMO, the single biggest problem with the big races is the entry limit per racer. The limit should be one entry per car type per person, max of two entries per person. Implementing this rule would drastically cut down on the length of big races. Also, big races could go to triple mains.

As a racer running fewer classes you put more emphasis on the ones that you do run. Right now you're either bored out of your mind or hopping back and forth between different classes.

Frankly, I think the Brits have it right. A big event should host one kind of car, and there should be two classes (a spec motor and an open motor). You should only be allowed to enter one of them.

Unless you are Michael Phelps, you will benefit from more focus and track time on the class you do enter.

Also, as suggested above, I agree that big races should make sedan either foam or rubber - not both. I like them both, and when races have both I'll run both, but I prefer being able to focus on one tire type per race.

-Adam
Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
The difference it makes is the amount of time every other racer at the event has to sit around while you race that extra class. It's an advantage to you, and both a disadvantage and a waste of time to everyone else.

IMO, the single biggest problem with the big races is the entry limit per racer. The limit should be one entry per car type per person, max of two entries per person. Implementing this rule would drastically cut down on the length of big races. Also, big races could go to triple mains.

As a racer running fewer classes you put more emphasis on the ones that you do run. Right now you're either bored out of your mind or hopping back and forth between different classes.

Frankly, I think the Brits have it right. A big event should host one kind of car, and there should be two classes (a spec motor and an open motor). You should only be allowed to enter one of them.

Unless you are Michael Phelps, you will benefit from more focus and track time on the class you do enter.

-Adam

If you are a promoter paying for a hotel ball room you would want as many sign ups as possible. I say limit the classes and if anybody is crazy enough to race all of them.. let them
Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I agree with the idea of going back to 2 motor choices, stock and Mod. In nitro on road you had just to classes 1/8th scale open and 200mm sedan(not counting IGT yet). One word........Resort.

Just figure out what is stock and what is mod.

Mod= 8.5 and lower?
Stock=13.5 and above?

Anyone remember what it was like to finally make a B-main, let alone an A-main, because you were always in the C or D?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The financial problem is a very simple one to solve: Charge more for the class entry fee. Justify it to the racer by pointing out that they get to run that class more than in the old system, so the price per amount of track time is the same. Also, if they can knock a day off the event, that saves the racer something like $80 hotel plus $10 food plus $100-200 wage plus 1 vacation day.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

just ban 12th scale
Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
just ban 12th scale
............did he just say that out loud?????..................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.