R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2003, 07:32 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default Battery Scenario .......(help)

The Particulars
GP3300's matched
Integy 16X7 Pro AC/ DC (running out of the wall)
Charging at 5 Amps
.04 mV/cell Threshold
Stock motor in my XXX-s
First charge on my pack for the day takes 40-45mins pack gets warm to hot. Run has good run time, lots of punch(awesome). I run the pack until the car runs slow. Take the pack out, let it cool hour to hour and half. NOW, I try to charge again and it takes like 15 minutes, pack not really warm. Put it in the car and get three strong minutes but then pack dumps. Now I'm fairly sure I'm getting false peaks but why? It's my understanding a pack's second charge of the day is supposed to be it's best. Where am I going wrong?? Any help you all can lend is most appreciated!!!!

KEVIN
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Battery Scenario .......(help)

Quote:
Originally posted by hicheef
The Particulars
GP3300's matched
Integy 16X7 Pro AC/ DC (running out of the wall)
Charging at 5 Amps
.04 mV/cell Threshold
Stock motor in my XXX-s
First charge on my pack for the day takes 40-45mins pack gets warm to hot. Run has good run time, lots of punch(awesome). I run the pack until the car runs slow. Take the pack out, let it cool hour to hour and half. NOW, I try to charge again and it takes like 15 minutes, pack not really warm. Put it in the car and get three strong minutes but then pack dumps. Now I'm fairly sure I'm getting false peaks but why? It's my understanding a pack's second charge of the day is supposed to be it's best. Where am I going wrong?? Any help you all can lend is most appreciated!!!!

KEVIN
Let pack cool off after use, and then discharge it ( I have an Integy 30AMP discharger). Let battery cool.
Normal charge... Let battery cool, re-peak it a couple of more times. I have an intrgy 16x3 and when I had the same problem and when I contacted Integy they told me to re-peak it a couple
of times before using it. I'm using a friends Turbo 35 BL and I still re-peak all the batteries before I use them.
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
Tech Addict

dude, do some math and you will know what's going on

with 5A you get roughly about 1250mAh into your pack, and your pack's capacity is 3300mAh, so that looks like a false peak if your had dumped your pack in the first run
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

is it a brand new pack? some new packs will false peak the first few times they are cycled
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:13 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Battery Scenario .......(huh?)

Some Chargers are more prone to false peaking than others. My Reedy Quasar Pro would false if the threshold setting was too low.
If the final Mah count is low after the pack is charged, try a slightly higher threshold. Ideal temperature for fully charged GP3300's is between 140-150F (very warm to touch), checked right when finished charging.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Do you have more than one pack? Do they all false peak or is it just one pack?

Give the pack a couple of charges, just the way you do it now. If it false peaks at less 35 minutes (or read the capasity read-out on the charge, it should peak near 3300), then start the charger again. It the pack false peak after a couple more runs, try increasing the cut off voltage, just a little.