R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default Hudy comm lathe

I recently bought a comm lathe and tried a could of armatures and ended up burning out the armature holder (the purple plastic pieces to hold the two ends of the armature). I used 6 cells, 7.2 v and didn't use oil on the v grooves. Is it because I ran it too fast or didn't use oil? I checked the internet, most people use 4 cell power.
05forfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05forfun View Post
I recently bought a comm lathe and tried a could of armatures and ended up burning out the armature holder (the purple plastic pieces to hold the two ends of the armature). I used 6 cells, 7.2 v and didn't use oil on the v grooves. Is it because I ran it too fast or didn't use oil? I checked the internet, most people use 4 cell power.
At 7.2v I'm surprised the lathe didn't take off and fly around the room. Run it at 2.5 to 3 volts and oil the v grooves
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ODpurple is correct... a few other things to make sure of:

The purple armature holders aren't strictly necessary, many lathes don't have them. The o-ring that drives the armature normally will also be sufficient to hold it in the grooves.

Make sure the armature spins AWAY from you under power. If it spins toward you, it'll try to lift out of the grooves when the bit is cutting. The purple plastic retainers can hide this from you.

If you do use them, make sure they're not too tight.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I always run 12-15volts on my lathe... Right off my power supply..

Not sure why guys piss around with battery packs:not charged, rpm changes while cutting motors if your doing alot ect ect.

Get a 12volt lathe motor and enjoy consistant low rpm cutting
Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

...Or an Integy 55T 7.2v lathe motor. Works great off of any 6cell pack I happen to have lying around in my Integy lathe. And if you want even lower rpm, get the 65T version...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My issue was never having a pack available or fully charged. I always have a powersupply with me racing or at home. So while im charging or doing what ever i still have 12volts on tap to cut motors...

Oh those days are behind me now... comm cutting is so last year !!! LOL

Im a BL convert.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Couple of things, first is what type of drive motor are you using? If it's a normal out of the case R/C motor of 27 turns or lower it is running waaaaaaay too fast on 7.2v. Try it at 3 volts if at all possible or get a motor specifically wound to handle the extra voltage. I have one that is something like a 70 turn really small wire that runs perfectly directly off of a 12v power supply. No you can not order one as it was hand wound by Sean Cochran years ago.

Make sure you oil the v blocks and like the other poster said, make sure the rotation is away from you not toward you when cutting. I would be surprised if you didn't damage the lathe bit doing what you did, but you may have gotten lucky. If it makes a crappy cut running it slower, you either hurt the bit or the height of the cutting point needs to be changed in relationship to the comm center line.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote