R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
coupons only work on in stock items, also if you are willing to pre-order, tell you local hobbyshop they might cut you a break since you are pre-ordering them
Never ceases to amaze: People making absolute statements that are false.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I'd expect to see a ton of these in USVTA with the 21.5.
Thanks for starting up this thread. I think you can add 1 more to that.

I plan on pre-ordering one on Tower Monday after I talk to Novak. I want to see if there is any other reason why I shouldn't get a GTB instead. The "only" reason I can see is if I wanted to use it in another car later with a lower turn motor. I want to get Novak's opinion of where the GTB will make a difference. I do have a GTB now in my JRX-S.

I notice that there isn't a cooling fan included, yet they sell it separately (~$13). Has anybody seen a need for the cooling fan?

I think my question of use with a spread spectrum system was answered else where.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Kids, the Novak page no longer says Item can be preordered on their web page, it says Item is Available.

Is it time to cheer or still a little premature?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Kids, the Novak page no longer says Item can be preordered on their web page, it says Item is Available.

Is it time to cheer or still a little premature?
Tower has the 21.5 kits in stock, and as icing on the cake they have a $20 off $149 coupon code on their home page.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Tower has the 21.5 kits in stock, and as icing on the cake they have a $20 off $149 coupon code on their home page.
I'm glad I found this old thread. I just had to search by the creator and there it was. Everyone needs to read this.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

these are a great value! Novak rocks!

and as far as the brushd motor limit goes, its 27t on the havoc for safety reasons as far as i can tell. Apparently there were issues with both the GTB and the XBR since they DO NOT have a shottky diode built in like all popular brushed speed controls. They can only run for a limited amount of time before something goes wrong and thats exactly what happened to my friend. His stocker killed his GTB due to lack of a shottky diode. I immediately put one on my XBR and he warranty'd out his GTB and put a shottky in the new one and we ran an entire season with no issues. So im assuming anything stronger than a stock brushed puts the speedcontrol at high risk of failure because shottky diodes will likely not be used, and not easy to come by at that.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

We started shipping the Havoc Spec Systems to our Distibutors last week, but it will take a while to get though the back orders.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
We started shipping the Havoc Spec Systems to our Distibutors last week, but it will take a while to get though the back orders.
As long as they arrive, its all good. Wheels will roll!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Well lookie dis now...

Novak Havoc 3S ESC
Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

i bought the 21.5 havoc and its working wonders its as fast as others in VTA so im not in the c-main im in the a- main with the team orion 2400 7.4
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Tower called me yesterday to say that the 17.5 systems are in stock and they're shipping mine.

The website says late Jan but I just talked to them again and they said they have them.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I pre-ordered 2 Havoc systems from Novak and got them yesterday....which is also race night for me!! I put the 10.5 system in my WGT car and ran with a SMC 3.7v pack and the ESC did really well. Brakes are not as strong as I'd hoped but I should be able to adjust the ESC and my radio to get the braking power up to what I'm used to. I put another 17.5 system in a rubber tire touring car and it worked well in that application also. Again, the braking power was down but I still need more time to tune. I also wanted to try a Trinity Duo based 17.5 motor but the ESC wouldn't calibrate with this motor so I switched back to the Novak SS17.5. I think my sensor wire may be screwed up on the Trinity 17.5. All-in-all, the Havoc SS sytstems are by far the best "competition ready" systems I've seen/used for under $150. Heck, the Havoc systems are probably the only "competition ready" system for under $150!!

P.S. I was racing on a 80x40 ozite track last night.
cla5675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla5675 View Post
I pre-ordered 2 Havoc systems from Novak and got them yesterday....which is also race night for me!! I put the 10.5 system in my WGT car and ran with a SMC 3.7v pack and the ESC did really well. Brakes are not as strong as I'd hoped but I should be able to adjust the ESC and my radio to get the braking power up to what I'm used to. I put another 17.5 system in a rubber tire touring car and it worked well in that application also. Again, the braking power was down but I still need more time to tune. I also wanted to try a Trinity Duo based 17.5 motor but the ESC wouldn't calibrate with this motor so I switched back to the Novak SS17.5. I think my sensor wire may be screwed up on the Trinity 17.5. All-in-all, the Havoc SS sytstems are by far the best "competition ready" systems I've seen/used for under $150. Heck, the Havoc systems are probably the only "competition ready" system for under $150!!

P.S. I was racing on a 80x40 ozite track last night.
Did you have to do any special voodoo to run with the single cell lipo? I have the same system coming for my 1/12 tomorrow.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I received my 21.5 Havoc combo from Tower last week. I did get the $20 discount applied. I also ordered the cooling fan to go with it just for insurance.

I hope to get a chance to drive it soon but I'm waiting on a spur gear from Tower also.

I spoke to Novak tech support and they indicated the only "real" limitation of the Havoc ESC was for low turn motors, the minimum spec is 8.5. I think for the 17.5 & 21.5 it will be hard to tell the difference between that and the GTB.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
Did you have to do any special voodoo to run with the single cell lipo? I have the same system coming for my 1/12 tomorrow.
Nope. Just disabled the "Lipo Cut Off" and ran it. Worked like a charm. The servo was the only problem I had all night. If you can get a hold of a rx pack then you might want to bring it with you if you're just doing some testing. I definitely needed a rx pack last night, but I didn't have time to find one or borrow one.
cla5675 is offline   Reply With Quote