motor breakin!

Old 10-10-2003, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Default motor breakin!

guys i am posting this because i have read other post on what people do to break in thier motors so please please post here your break in procedures!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Damn... I thought I was getting a good story about a motor breakin'...
Old 10-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

once i have everything installed and motor setup i break it in for at least 3 minutes at 2 volts. I watch the amp draw and cut it off when the numbers start to flatten out. This is when your brushes are seated and ready for racing. For harder brushes this may take longer. Always break it in dry on the comm, the brushes will not seat otherwise!
Old 10-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

trinity holycow ithink it was him on another thread said that after he breaks the brushes in he pulls the motor apart and recuts it and reseats the brushes for 30 seconds! you basically just ruined the break in procedure might aswell have only broken the motor in for half the break in time.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

yea that doesnt make ne sense to me at all
Old 10-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

they are in the motor tuning thread and it part of the breakin procedure for the guy and he saying that he has no punch ? i wounder why.

cut the motor seat the brushes depending on the compound i say between 200 and 300 second on a turbo 35 dry and your ready to go i dont like speed juice because it creates arching and it coats the comm and burns it out.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

I use Tribo after I break it in. makes the power last longer through the run.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default Motor break-in!

Guys;

I too have read (maybe in a Magazine) the RE-cut the Com after break-in thing somewhere, so 'holycow' is not just making this up on his own. I tried it once or twice based on that article, and saw no performance benefits in doing so.

Using a sharp Lathe Bit, then a few minutes of break-in at low voltage (3-4v) with no load, Should have little effect on Com concentricity (trueness), in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

But guys, what your doing is breaking in the brushes, not the comm. When you break-in the brushes you want the brushes to wear evenly to that they seat on the comm and every part of the brush is wearing evenly. Now if you do a cut afterwards it just to keep things nice and shiny, as the comm will not have the damage on it after breakin like it does after it has a few races on it. So the comm is basically has a touch of material off it and all you need is 30 odd sec's to make sure the brushes re-seat onto a clean comm without issues(as they should). I personally do not re-cut the comm but I'm not a diehard gotta win racer.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:05 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I don't buy it. If you're going to do that, I think it would be better in the long run just to cut your comm after every round of racing. Based on what you describe, you are going to re-cut the comm, but after 20 seconds on the track with a race pack, the comm will be as "black" as it is after a 2 minute low-voltage break in. So you are shortening the life of your comm for a minor, minor, minor benefit (if a benefit at all).

But, that's just me.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I usually only let the motor run for about 1 minute or so when I do it for myself. I don't believe in breaking the brushes in unless the motor is really acting funny.

If you watch Mike R. at the big races you see him apply voltage for a short period of time. I am guessing that this will tell him if the motor is going to run or not. Then it goes into a car. This is for mod so why should stock be any different? Unless it is acting funny.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

I break in my brushes for 3 minutes at 3 volts with a fan on the shaft. I do not re-cut the comm but I do clean it with a comm stick.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

"as the comm will not have the damage on it after breakin like it does after it has a few races on it"

Yes, I should have said "after a race", not "a few races". If people are willing to cut their comm after breakin they are probably cutting after every run.

futureal - I never said it was logical, thus why I said "diehard gotta win racer" some people go to crazy lengths to gain an advantage no matter how minor. If they want to chew through arms like crazy that's their buisness. Some people have more money then sence. Thus why I don't do it myself.

Kraig - Wouldn't breaking in a mod for too long put more wear and tear on the brushes reducing performance?