Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Racing with the HPI Vintage Trans/Am bodies in CA.?? >

Racing with the HPI Vintage Trans/Am bodies in CA.??

Racing with the HPI Vintage Trans/Am bodies in CA.??

Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Racing with the HPI Vintage Trans/Am bodies in CA.??

How many places in Calif. have added some type of Vintage Trans/Am racing to their racing classes?

I know the Ventura Road Runners are running them in Camarillo, and we're doing them at our club races in Nipomo (central coast)

But are there any of the other So. Cal. races that have picked up on the class too?

What/how are you running the class to get the most LOCAL participation?

Are there more than 20 - 30 racers running these in the So Cal area?

(I have an idea to do a class of these as an exhibiton sometime in '09 at a OVAL RACE at the Encino Velodrome. The velo has a huge concrete infield, and I'd like to set up a medium size track to run on, the same day we do one of our OVAL events.)

Several of our oval series racers, have also built VTA cars so we might be able to pull 8-10 just from the oval guys...
Old 12-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
How many places in Calif. have added some type of Vintage Trans/Am racing to their racing classes?

I know the Ventura Road Runners are running them in Camarillo, and we're doing them at our club races in Nipomo (central coast)

But are there any of the other So. Cal. races that have picked up on the class too?

What/how are you running the class to get the most LOCAL participation?

Are there more than 20 - 30 racers running these in the So Cal area?

(I have an idea to do a class of these as an exhibiton sometime in '09 at a OVAL RACE at the Encino Velodrome. The velo has a huge concrete infield, and I'd like to set up a medium size track to run on, the same day we do one of our OVAL events.)

Several of our oval series racers, have also built VTA cars so we might be able to pull 8-10 just from the oval guys...
VTA hasnt taken off like the RCGT class has. check out my signature for the new series that's going to start up soon.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

VTA is in its infancy here in Camarillo, but we're trying. RCGT is very popular in the region and growing, and is probably giving everyone their spec racing fix. I'm putting one together myself for the series mentioned above.

I still think that USVTA can catch on here. The USVTA pace is enough slower than the 17.5s that RCGT runs that once people see the close, fun racing it'll grow.

We've probably got 15 or so cars together in the club, with 6 or 7 showing up at each race. We started out with silver cans to try it out but will be transitioning to USVTA spec over the next couple months. The silver cans (6 cell) actually are close enough to regular USVTA speeds to keep it fun. I ran 21.5 last race and was beaten by better drivers with silver cans.

I'd be very interested in an exhibition event and could rally some troops for it.

I also plan on hoofing it up to Nipomo one of these days to race with you guys!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

There racing VTA here at DHW, some of those cars handle better than there stock car I've yet to make the jump into it, but it looks like alot of fun
Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sometimes I think they handle better because of the speeds. On short tracks the speed of a VTA car is a kick..on big tracks, bring a chair and a pillow - LOL after running MOD in an oval car, then driving a VTA car 5 minutes later...it's hard NOT to just swerve back and forth on the long straight! It's funny, but the speeds remind me of the very FIRST TC's I got to drive back when the idea of a TC class was being developed in the US. (Back when it was known as a T/K Touring (Tamiya/Kyosho) in the NORRCA days.

REEN,

I've been wanting to get down to CAM too, and bring a couple guys with me...

My personal feeling is that the SILVER CAN MOTOR w/ LIPO could have been an awesome way to develop the VTA class, since it's primarily about VINTAGE Chassis's (old stuff that was laying around) and VINTAGE Bodies... what better than VINTAGE indestructable motors that are CHEAP. But I'm a huge supporter of the 21.5/LIPO route too, and NOVAK's Havoc will help get guys in that direction.

I've been running 27t/4 cell in mine.but they are all burnt up, so the first one now has a 17.5/4 cell in it. It'll get run Sunday (Which is our final NIPOMO race until the first Sunday of February 09)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
Sometimes I think they handle better because of the speeds. On short tracks the speed of a VTA car is a kick..on big tracks, bring a chair and a pillow - LOL after running MOD in an oval car, then driving a VTA car 5 minutes later...it's hard NOT to just swerve back and forth on the long straight! It's funny, but the speeds remind me of the very FIRST TC's I got to drive back when the idea of a TC class was being developed in the US. (Back when it was known as a T/K Touring (Tamiya/Kyosho) in the NORRCA days.

REEN,

I've been wanting to get down to CAM too, and bring a couple guys with me...

My personal feeling is that the SILVER CAN MOTOR w/ LIPO could have been an awesome way to develop the VTA class, since it's primarily about VINTAGE Chassis's (old stuff that was laying around) and VINTAGE Bodies... what better than VINTAGE indestructable motors that are CHEAP. But I'm a huge supporter of the 21.5/LIPO route too, and NOVAK's Havoc will help get guys in that direction.

I've been running 27t/4 cell in mine.but they are all burnt up, so the first one now has a 17.5/4 cell in it. It'll get run Sunday (Which is our final NIPOMO race until the first Sunday of February 09)
Well, let's keep in touch about getting together for some VTA racing, even if it's a mix of specs just for fun. Well, it's all just for fun anyway!

We're repaving our track this month and then there will be some kind of grand re-opening event early in the new year. Maybe that'll be a good opportunity since you guys will be itching to race by then! Maybe even with some new Christmas toys!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hebiki
VTA hasnt taken off like the RCGT class has. check out my signature for the new series that's going to start up soon.
Wow, its funny how the popularity of the class depends on the area/region you're from. Over here on the east coast, Vintage TA racing is the biggest / greatest thing since sliced bread as far as on road. RCGT has yet to really take off, but some RCGT races will be starting up in 09. I think its going to catch on quickly. The numerous body choices & 6 cells are a couple aspects that will make RCGT a big hit here on the E.C.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DJ919
Wow, its funny how the popularity of the class depends on the area/region you're from. Over here on the east coast, Vintage TA racing is the biggest / greatest thing since sliced bread as far as on road. RCGT has yet to really take off, but some RCGT races will be starting up in 09. I think its going to catch on quickly. The numerous body choices & 6 cells are a couple aspects that will make RCGT a big hit here on the E.C.
depending on how well the RCGT series goes... i might dive into a VTA series