R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default VTA MMR Club Spec Racing

MMR Spec racing is to keep cars in close racing and grow local club racing.

The number one reason we see racers leaving is when the class they run becomes too fast or too expensive to compete in. We often find by specing the class you continue to grow the class and racers enjoy being able to keep in touch with the car and we see a need to keep the class slowed down. The fast racers will always be fast regardless of Spec so do not fret if you are a hair off there pace.

By no means does the MMR Spec take away from or change any current running class in this case USVTA rules but we add to the rules to increase driver turn out and help maintain current racers in the class. Always remember if the spec class is too slow there is a class already that goes fast, uses the most current in tech and is for the elite hard core racer.

You may also find as we have many are already running a similar type spec in the class and this will allow them all to openly promote a race standard for there events.

MMR VintageTrans-Am Club Spec Rules and Specifications

Body Specifications:
Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed (not wings). No additional skirts or raised/extended wings or air control surfaces allowed. Body must be trimmed
at body trim lines. Full rear bumper required.
Tire & Wheel Specifications:
HPI tire part #4793 front and #4797 rear, stock tire inserts provided with tire and any HPI Vintage wheels designed to fit.
26mm width fronts and 31mm width rear tires. 8-spoke Vintage wheels from #3805 through #3814, 5-spoke Vintage wheels from #3815 through #3822 and Vintage stock car
wheels from #3854 through #3860 are all legal wheels.
Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed.
Tires must have visible tread.
Chassis Specification:
Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only. Tires must fit within the body.
Motor Specifications:
Option 1: 27-turn ROAR stock motor: ROAR motor rules apply for 27 turn.
Option 2: 17.5 brushless motor: ROAR Motor Rules for 17.5 ROAR sportsman rules for speedos.
Battery Specifications:
3-cell NiCd or NiMh batteries
1-cell LiPo hard cased
Ride Height Specification:
Minimum ride height is 5mm.
Weight Specification:
Minimum 1280g Lipo
Race Specification:
5 minute Qualifiers Heats are run "heads up" with a horn start. Shuffling of start order for each round with slowest qualifier first and fastest qualifier last

9 Minute Mains: Starting grind should have cars aligned through the track giving ample space and we strongly encourage not aligned down the straight.

Body List:
HPI part numbers:
17510 - 1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda
17519 - 1966 Ford Mustang GT
17508 - 1965 Ford Shelby GT-350
7494 - 1968 Chevrolet Camaro
17526- 1969 Chevrolet Corvette
Parma part numbers:
10143 - 1969 Z28 Camaro
10141 - 1970 Boss Mustang
10113 - 1970 'Cuda
Pegasus Hobbies part numbers:
PGH4001 - 1970 Camaro SS
PGH4002 - 1970 'Cuda
PGH4003 - 1970 Mustang

[email protected]

Monitor the front post for changes as with all racing the spec is modified to keep the cars in check and as motors, batts, speedcontrollers all change we will adjust as much as possible to continue to give you the most fair standard of racing we can.

There is nothing much more exciting then watching a VTA main were multipule cars are on the exact same lap pace and jocking for position, taking multipule attemps at passes, making runs in short shoots to muscle the line into the next corner. Side by side action through the sweepers for finishes that are meer inches apart across the line. Were a slight rubb on the wall can cost you position & thousands of dollars in support parts are not required to be in that mix.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.

Last edited by ammdrew; 10-05-2010 at 06:41 AM.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

MMR? What's that?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Ummmm, huh?

So it's USVTA but with different FDR limits? That's in the USVTA rules anyway:

"If any one power choice shows a definitive advantage at a certain track, it is up to the race management to even the racing out via suggested gearing changes."
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post

Now many are saying WHOAAAAAA what about 21.5/Lipo.
We have found the 21.5/lipo does not race well with the 4 cell options. But for many the cat is already out of the bag. If this is the case we have some working recommendations but have not finalized a good spec yet. As we slow down the 21.5 it gains infield advantage. Every layout is different but almost always we get the "big Block pull form the 21.5 even if we get straight away speeds in check to were they do not run over the other options.

This is were we currently are working this combo and would appreciate all the feedback we can get from clubs working to get the three powerplants on par.

Cat Out Of The Bag Addition
Power Source Option :

ROAR approved LIPO pack
ROAR approved 6 cell Sub C pack

Motor Option with 7.2 volt power source:

ROAR Approved 21.5 Motor FDR 5.1 ( Race Director must monitor and adjust for track conditions)
Maybe I'm missing something, what's the point of these changes? You admit you need a Cat out of the bag option, but that allows ROAR approved 21.5?

In the other USVTA tread it was mentioned that alot of the ROAR 21.5 were faster than the Novak. Other people said that wasn't true.

So if it is true, your rules will make it worse. If it isn't true, USVTA will eventually change it from Novak only to ROAR, which puts right back to your rules?

Call me stupid but I just don't see what you're getting at here?
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Single white female-ish.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post

Single white female-ish.
Perhaps, but definitely single white male!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

this is just like the movie "Coming to America".....McDougal's
Instead of McDonalds.....The USVTA has revitalized T/C racing all over and it doesnt need fixing...So close this thread and try an have an original thought...
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER View Post
this is just like the movie "Coming to America".....McDougal's
Instead of McDonalds.....The USVTA has revitalized T/C racing all over and it doesnt need fixing...So close this thread and try an have an original thought...

Thats hiting the nail on the head.
squearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I think this class should be 17.5 and 4 cell only. I will explain myself here.
1. I belive it was in omaha they were running only a half of a second off per lap against the stock rubber sedan. That is not the point of this class.
2. When you mix 17.5 4 cell with the 21.5 lipo it is totally unfair. My dad is a good consistant driver and he is a great wrench. At the last 2 day race in omaha he was the only one with a 17.5 4 cell combo in the A. He could almost keep up on the infield but on the straight somebody hit him so hard it turned him around. This creates a big gap in overall speed and kills half of the class.
3. When they came up with the rules for usvta I think they were just feeling in the dark. But as we know putting a 21.5 against a 17.5 is like putting mike tyson against an infant with big ears.
4. This class is about having limited parts breakage.
I am all for the usvta mmr spec. Lets make it happen.

Last edited by joezjr; 12-02-2008 at 04:14 PM. Reason: cause I can.
joezjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Correct there is nothing wrong with TA and there are some issues.

We have found this to work very well and have put out a standard we are racing by and many other clubs are also. It is a compliment to USVTA. And our strong recommendation for healthy club racing. This will also allow anyone going to another club track be able to know there equipment is able to compete if they are running the same spec.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezjr View Post
3. When they came up with the rules for usvta I think they were just feeling in the dark.
That's a huge insult to those who organized USVTA. You obviously know nothing about how USVTA evolved nor have you read the thread here about it.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Tech Elite

The real point is that there's nothing new here. Under official USVTA rules local race directors may opt for different FDR options at their discretion. I'm sure some do this -- they just don't feel the need to broadcast it everywhere and try to sell t-shirts.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
Correct there is nothing wrong with TA and there are some issues.

We have found this to work very well and have put out a standard we are racing by and many other clubs are also. It is a compliment to USVTA. And our strong recommendation for healthy club racing. This will also allow anyone going to another club track be able to know there equipment is able to compete if they are running the same spec.
Your joking right.....Why dont you just quote the USVTA rules and call them your own.....
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezjr View Post
3. When they came up with the rules for usvta I think they were just feeling in the dark.
Wow that pretty much as far off the mark as possible.

Again what's the point here? You're mentioning that the 21.5 is too much of an advantage at your track, the new 'MMR Spec has provisions for 21.5 so what does it change? The FDR? Well that's already covered!

You don't need a new VTA spec, why not do some testing and figure out an FDR for the 21.5 that works at your track per the current USVTA rules?

Look I'm not trying to insult anyone, but this one of the stupidest threads. Everything in the MMR rules is already covered in USVTA.

As I said before some show me what is different?

Actually, MMR rules are making even worse if I've learned about the battery advantages and disadvantages correctly since coming back.

The NIMh batteries would give the 21.5 brushless even more of an advantage, correct me if I'm wrong.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
Tech Elite

You know, you guys are right. I didn't read very many of the threads because i do not feel like reading the 120 some odd pages. I just started running usvta this year. But from my basic understanding is that the cars should be somewhat equal in speed. Is this correct? Did you field test a 17.5 vs a 21.5? Did you really think these were equal? Or are you just trying to sell an oval motor that otherwise would not sell in any other market. You should almost feel insulted if you field tested this. I felt like I would give you guys the benefit of the doubt and say you were feeling around in the dark because there is such an obvious speed difference.