R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC5 Diff Building Problem

I am currrently trying to build a TC5R, I say TRYING because the diff has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever tried to build. I followed the instructions at least a dozen times but there is no possible way that this thing is going together. I have compressed the spring and made sure the nut is all the way down in the retainer but there is no way this thing is going together..

Either the screw is too short or the spring is too long or??? I have read many posts on various sites about problems with the diff in the TC5 but I thought
they would have corrected it on the new TC5R, guess I was wrong.
Cubic$Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I had the same issue. Ended up pushing down severely on the nut to get it to thread on the bolt.

And the the shocks were a bit of a hassle as well. The plastic pieces that inserts into the shock body was too large to slip in...again had to force them in. Also the blue foam pieces located above the bladder are to small to fit snugly into the shock cap or too big to fit into the bladder depression. They just float around. Seems a little odd.

But, the diffs and the shocks work fine.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

sell it unbuilt and buy a nice car, like a Yokomo or an HB.
SammyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Tech Champion

They do go, there's just not much thread to get the bolt on from what i've heard.

i'm pretty sure someone has released a slightly longer bolt to help, but the stock one does go. I think it has something to do with the spring, it needs to be clamped up a few times with pliers before fitting.

hth

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2869&P=Z

Direct replacement and it goes in with little to no effort.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One thing that I have done with the spring is get a locking Cresant wrench, and compress the spring for 2 hours and that has seemed to help a lot!!!
[B]Stephen Shook [/B]Monday Evening, the 6th of October 2008. I will always remember you and what you did for me.
IH8Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubic$Racing View Post
I am currrently trying to build a TC5R, I say TRYING because the diff has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever tried to build. I followed the instructions at least a dozen times but there is no possible way that this thing is going together. I have compressed the spring and made sure the nut is all the way down in the retainer but there is no way this thing is going together..

Either the screw is too short or the spring is too long or??? I have read many posts on various sites about problems with the diff in the TC5 but I thought
they would have corrected it on the new TC5R, guess I was wrong.
Sometimes the bolt is slightly shorter from kit to kit,somtimes part of the problem when using high speed roll forming of threads is you will have a length variation. What I have done to ease the assembly is use a second allen wrench across the retainer nut housing in the diff so I can apply pressure to the nut and bolt at the same time, or use a diff screw from a TC4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
I had the same issue. Ended up pushing down severely on the nut to get it to thread on the bolt.

And the the shocks were a bit of a hassle as well. The plastic pieces that inserts into the shock body was too large to slip in...again had to force them in. Also the blue foam pieces located above the bladder are to small to fit snugly into the shock cap or too big to fit into the bladder depression. They just float around. Seems a little odd.

But, the diffs and the shocks work fine.
I know it sounds silly with the foam, did the same thing myself, put the foam in the bladder before installing into the shock body. The foam will compress slightly in the bladder as well as help it to seal from the extra little bit of pressure.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My question is that from all of the posts I have read this is a major problem with this kit. It seems like a simple fix to a problem that causes a great deal of frustration. Why has Associated not responded with a solution, I expected it to be corrected in the newest versions of these kits.

It looks like my only solution is to let the kit sit on the work bench while I order parts to correct a problem Associated should have fixed.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and replys.
Cubic$Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Make sure the nut is all the way to the bottom of the holder and square when inserting it and it will be very easy to install.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
sell it unbuilt and buy a nice car, like a Yokomo or an HB.
Unless you have an idea that will help him build the diff of the car he currently owns, keep your comments to yourself.

Regarding the foams in the shocks, when i first built my car i put them in and the shocks just didnt' seem to work properly. When i asked Scotty Ernst about it, he asked me if i used the foams in the tops of the shocks. When i said i did, he said to take them out and not even use them. Haven't used them since and the shocks work flawlessly. And i'm pretty sure that the guys who race for Associated don't use them either.

I too had a problem getting the plastic pieces in. It's supposed to be like that to hold the bottom of the shock together.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

AssocRacer,

I remember reading something about that as well. So, to confirm, when building the shocks, just use the larger flat foam inserts? I have the TC5R as well and am about to start the build process. Also, are thany any other useful building tips you can proide?

Thanks

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssocRacer View Post
Unless you have an idea that will help him build the diff of the car he currently owns, keep your comments to yourself.

Regarding the foams in the shocks, when i first built my car i put them in and the shocks just didnt' seem to work properly. When i asked Scotty Ernst about it, he asked me if i used the foams in the tops of the shocks. When i said i did, he said to take them out and not even use them. Haven't used them since and the shocks work flawlessly. And i'm pretty sure that the guys who race for Associated don't use them either.

I too had a problem getting the plastic pieces in. It's supposed to be like that to hold the bottom of the shock together.
ravex911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

I don't use ANY of the foam inserts in my shocks, just the rubber bladder and the shock caps. As far as building tips, i really can't think of any right now. I build mine like a year and a half ago. Just the usual, make sure all of your parts fit tightly but still move freely. I used a reamer on my arms and then polished the suspension pins. Other then that i really can't think of any others.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The instructions lead you to use a washer with the wrong thickness in with the spring in the build steps, but there's a spare thin washer in one of the other bags. Use that and the diffs will go together great.

Last edited by BobbyS; 12-02-2008 at 03:43 PM.
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the tips.

What do you use to polish the pins with? Makes sense to make sure the arms move as freely as possible.
ravex911 is offline   Reply With Quote