Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major races would fewer be better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Major races would fewer be better?

Its obvious that entries have been in a major decline this year and in recent times. It seems as there are to many major races and not enough demand to keep them all. Such as Cleveland, Vegas, Birds, Onorad nats, Carpet Nats, Reedy, Novak, and im sure there one or two I missed...I beleive it would be better to fewer of them so the remaining ones would have a bigger turn out so making the main would be something again! Whats others thoughts on this???

Bryan
Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I dont think it is as much too many races as it is too many classes. I myself and many I have spoken to say the same. Too many darn classes. Just not fun to spend a grand to travel to race 15 guys in every class. Do we need 3 1/12 classes and 5 touring classes ect..No ,look at Grand Slam I think that format should follow to all major events. Touring 2 foam classes and 1/12 2 add VTA for spec(non facttory drivers) and maybe 1/10 GT 1 rubber class 13.5 is perfect.. Just my thoughts.. I already hear Birds will be watered down in classes and many say it wont feel same winning there like past.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John Tag
I dont think it is as much too many races as it is too many classes. I myself and many I have spoken to say the same. Too many darn classes. Just not fun to spend a grand to travel to race 15 guys in every class. Do we need 3 1/12 classes and 5 touring classes ect..No ,look at Grand Slam I think that format should follow to all major events. Touring 2 foam classes and 1/12 2 add VTA for spec(non facttory drivers) and maybe 1/10 GT 1 rubber class 13.5 is perfect.. Just my thoughts.. I already hear Birds will be watered down in classes and many say it wont feel same winning there like past.
Good point this has also been taked about in the Florida State Series. Im my opinion there should be 2 classes for each car mod and a spec class (13.5, 17.5, 10.5). At the same time still would be nice to have that one big race during the year that everyone would try to attend!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The major "national" races are starting to look "regional"-ish. The increasing number of races, the increasing number of classes, the decreasing number of racers, and decreasing funds of racers Im sure are all contributing. I don't think more races are necessarily a bad thing. Gives me people the opportunity to attend bigger races closer to home. I guess the only thing difficult is to determine who is really the "champ".
Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I agree with Tag. It's not so much the turnout as the number of classes. I think turnouts are a touch low given the economic climate we are in, but I for one don't want to spend a ton of money to race against 20 guys.

Take it down to the basics....
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Why not take a race like Cleveland indoor champs and make it, or bring it back to only a 12th scale race? 17.5 and 10.5 that's it.

I imagine it would be better to have 200+ people racing for the 12th crown would be a lot more interesting....
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
I agree with Tag. It's not so much the turnout as the number of classes. I think turnouts are a touch low given the economic climate we are in, but I for one don't want to spend a ton of money to race against 20 guys.

Take it down to the basics....
1) Tag is right...WAY too many classes in TC and 1/12, and on top of that now VTA and WGT?

2) Another huge problem is that there is no National program set up. The "big" races are organized by individuals, and are not linked one to the other as a series.

For example, if we set up a system where those big race events were part of a Season, then you could determine a National Champion at the end. Here's some of the events Bryan mentioned:

1) Novak
2) Snowbirds
3) ROAR Carpet Nats
4) Jackson
5) Reedy Race
6) ROAR Asphalt Nats
7) Speedworld Cup
8) KO race
9) Vegas
10) Cleveland

Each of those events could be made to be part of a series, with driver points and manufacturer points, which would be carried to the next event, and tallied till the final race, which would determine the national champion.

In Europe they've started the ECS, Euro Championship Series, and they have 6-7 races, on carpet and asphalt, and in the end have a Euro Champ.

Once the Season has been set up, then make sure they are the most affordable, accessible, and exiting. Why are racers being charged $60-70 entry fee for a race? There are plenty of nice tracks in the USA, asphalt and carpet, with the basic requirements to host a nice event, instead of trying to get fancy places. Also, keep the events in places most people can access easier. Have good announcers, promoters, nice presentations, great enviroment, and people will want to come back for more.

Question is, who is willing to organize a series like this here in the US, and will the organizers of these events in the US be willing to work together on this

ROAR could take the lead on this issue, and talk to all event organizers and come up with a series which incorporates carpet and asphalt racing, and in the end have a system in place to determine who is the US Champ.

Or someone like Scotty could take the lead and organize a series and set up the system have everyone buy into it.

Last edited by yyhayyim; 12-01-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

i Feel it is a combination of the Two ( Too Many " big Races" and Too Many classes)
Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
1) Tag is right...WAY too many classes in TC and 1/12, and on top of that now VTA and WGT?

2) Another huge problem is that there is no National program set up. The "big" races are organized by individuals, and are not linked one to the other as a series.

For example, if we set up a system where those big race events were part of a Season, then you could determine a National Champion at the end. Here's some of the events Bryan mentioned:

1) Novak
2) Snowbirds
3) ROAR Carpet Nats
4) Jackson
5) Reedy Race
6) ROAR Asphalt Nats
7) Speedworld Cup
8) KO race
9) Vegas
10) Cleveland

Each of those events could be made to be part of a series, with driver points and manufacturer points, which would be carried to the next event, and tallied till the final race, which would determine the national champion.

In Europe they've started the ECS, Euro Championship Series, and they have 6-7 races, on carpet and asphalt, and in the end have a Euro Champ.

Question is, who is willing to organize a series like this here in the US, and will the organizers of these events in the US be willing to work together on this

ROAR could take the lead on this issue, and talk to all event organizers and come up with a series which incorporates carpet and asphalt racing, and in the end have a system in place to determine who is the US Champ.

Or someone like Scotty could take the lead and organize a series and set up the system have everyone buy into it.
Three of those ten races you listed are run by Scotty already. The Euro series is also run by Scotty as well as marc's father. I will drop Scotty a pm to let him know about this thread. I am pretty sure he would be interested in voicing his opinion.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wicked-Wayz
Three of those ten races you listed are run by Scotty already. The Euro series is also run by Scotty as well as marc's father. I will drop Scotty a pm to let him know about this thread. I am pretty sure he would be interested in voicing his opinion.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Thanks Aaron...can't wait to hear Scotty's opinion on the matter. If someone can get this moving its Scotty
Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

If the US had a series like the Euro series that would be amazing! Scooty is deffinally one that can make it happen and the best race promoter there is!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teammidget lilB
If the US had a series like the Euro series that would be amazing! Scooty is deffinally one that can make it happen and the best race promoter there is!
I think you're on to something here, Bryan Imagine loggin into a website, and looking up your National ranking! How cool would that be? Keep track of what events people are going, classes being raced, which drivers do better on which surfaces, and which cars or tires work better what surface, and manufacturer points as well?

Scotty could get this going, but the main question is would the independent organizers of those races be willing to jump in and work with Scotty on this, or would he have to go on his own? If he goes on his own, in a couple yrs it will be come the standard, and those who would follow the program would have to join or close down.

Then we could a US/EUro champs "Worlds" type event as well

Scotty?!?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Too many Races and too many classes.

On the local level i see big races becoming hard to get racers out to. Some clubs are becoming "trophy race whores" Monopolizing the calendar with 3,4,5 races a year..... The same i see on the national level. Used to be Cleveland was the place to be. Now diluted with to many classes and competing with all the other races. Big names age getting spread across the country and the world....

The major event organizers should sit down an try to make each race worth something. Make each event a points paying race, and have one place host the year end finally, (determined by bidding war or by draw of a hat). Giving us common folk something to follow. We gots F1 and Nascar, lets have an RC series that we can follow for a year at a time. Something the manufactures could build teams for

I got a chance to race Cleveland in 2000 and 2001 and it was a blast, but even then the start of to many classes had started.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't really see the amount of big races as being a problem. I travel when I want to and when it is convenient for me. I tend to travel to more Nitro events since I know there is only two classes which will guarantee at least 6 full heats for each class .... Sedan and 1/8th scale
Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

its because every1 wants a chance to win in a class they like or that their track runs. if big races were foam heavy, u'd see a drop in asphalt club tracks. if it was rubber, then prolly the opposite. big tracks cater to faster motors, smaller to slower 1s. its all in tryin to cater to every1.

12 scale is easy because its all foam. perhaps WGT (foam) and VTA (rubber) can help with stability. however, things were much nicer both in terms of classes, club races, and even readin results in the mags b4 internet..............when it was stock and mod. thats it.

R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.