Wiki Posts
Search

How to keep tyres hot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default How to keep tyres hot?

Hello people,

Well, I am driving TC with Rubber tyres on Carpet, we have control tyre, I have check that if I take the tyres warm/hot to the track the performance is better for 3-4 lap, but after that they come cooler and they don't work so good, what should I change on the set up to make the tyres to keep the temperature?

Thank you
Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roedor
Hello people,

Well, I am driving TC with Rubber tyres on Carpet, we have control tyre, I have check that if I take the tyres warm/hot to the track the performance is better for 3-4 lap, but after that they come cooler and they don't work so good, what should I change on the set up to make the tyres to keep the temperature?

Thank you
You need a softer compound tyre. Fundamentally, the current compound is too hard, you are artificially heating it and getting grip at the start, however it's normal running temperature is cooler so after a few laps it returns to that and you lose grip.

If you are using a control tyre, try a lower temperature setting on the warmer until you get a consistent car for 5 minutes, and build your setup around that.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Are the control tyres premounted?

If not, you could run a thicker insert in the tyre as this helps to keep heat in.

-Mark
Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

I run sweep 36 preglue, so I can not change anything on the tyres just the temperature and the aditive, I use LRP.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

At one club where I race they run on carpet but dont have a control tyre and doesnt allow the use of traction compounds. At that club, I'd be racing on Sorex 20/24Rs or Sweep 24Rs to keep the traction levels up. The 36 compound would be run on asphalt here!

Is it also possible that your car doesnt handle very well at all unless you use traction compound and warm the tyres? To me, when the warmth comes off and the compound wears out a few laps into the race you're probably just seeing the base handling of your car.

Its been suggested to get your car consistent first, but I'd be doing that by removing all the things that enhance traction and getting a good tuning session in and making your car handle WITHOUT it first. You can then start warming tyres and using compound for real performance increases then, not just to take up the slack from a less than perfect setup.

Also, does your track treat the carpet for traction purposes?

-Mark
Old 12-01-2008, 03:34 AM
Tech Champion

Try some softer oil and springs to try and compensate for the grip in any free practice (if its allowed).

You might even find that trying different hole pistons gives the car a better feel, as might a bit more front toe out. If the back end starts to come round, get an extra degree of rear toe on the car and see if it helps.

Are you in a stock class?

I ask as typically, i've found if you can hold a good line but the car is a bit limited on speed because of your rear toe in, it makes the opposition hard to find a way past as you already have good speed/grip through the corners, by the time they've tried to use the extra speed on the straight they've not made it past you on the outside. You just need to handle the pressure of them being on your tail....
Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roedor
I run sweep 36 preglue, so I can not change anything on the tyres just the temperature and the aditive, I use LRP.
The Sweep 36 must be pretty hard for carpet! The Sweep 32 is used at a couple of carpet series here in the UK, that tyre runs a lot better if you use the red Much-More additive which is pretty potent stuff. Maybe try the Much More additives yourself.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

generally speaking, if you wanna build more heat on the tires on the longer run, you need to run a stiffer suspension.

Stiffer suspension will put more load on the tires and hence build up heat.
you can start maybe by running spring that are just one notch stiffer and see if you see any difference..