R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

I wish every one would read my post on the future of 12th scale.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Boy reading this thread about Lipos and not being the future? Round cells will be old fashion soon. Lipos are in and getting better. Whenever the next battery technology becomes available for us to use in our R/C cars comes out- who knows? But until then Lipos are what everyone is going to go for.What you use in this class and any other class is up to you and your local group/club.Me it's lipo!
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #123
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
If I am not mistaken, Ford's Hybrid system used in the Escape Hybrid and new Fusion Hybrid uses/stores battery power from 200+ NiMh, D-sized cells.

yea, and we use sub C size, so like i said......
Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #124
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Everyone except me!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #125
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
Boy reading this thread about Lipos and not being the future? Round cells will be old fashion soon. Lipos are in and getting better. Whenever the next battery technology becomes available for us to use in our R/C cars comes out- who knows? But until then Lipos are what everyone is going to go for.What you use in this class and any other class is up to you and your local group/club.Me it's lipo!
Wait I thought it was Nihms that were the future cause Ford uses them.......now I am confused. Everyone look into their crystal balls and tell me what the future is please.

Find a class that allows your equipment then shut up and race.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

At NorCal Hobbies, we have been running 17.5 with any lipo as a separate group for the last couple weekends. Last Sunday, we had five CRC Gen X10 cars and yesterday we had nine of them going at it. We are now the largest run group at NorCal. And there still are a couple more CRCs being built.

We got us ourselves a convoy...

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #127
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Well, last night I finally bought the SMC 3.7v pack and ran it in my WGT along with a 10.5 motor. The speed was good, but there were no other WGT cars at the track last night so I didn't have a peer to compare with. However, the WGT was much faster than my 17.5/rubber tire touring car down the 80' straight away. My motor was only coming off at 90 degrees so I've got some more room to gear up if need be. Punch out of the corners wasn't bad either....of course I was geared a little low. I was also running at 1086 grams...a little under minimum wieght. I didn't run a booster or RX pack. I wanted to see how well the car worked without 6v to the servo. As suspected, the servo felt sluggish and would not center coming out of a hard turn. Sometimes the servo even felt "locked" coming out of a turn and I would take a sharp left or right into a board. I think a booster will be all I need to get the servo issue worked out....I'll be buying Novak's booster as soon as possible!! All in all, I'm very happy with this pack and I truly believe we might be seeing the end of Nickel based cells....at least at my local tracks!!

By the way, here is my WGT setup....please bare in mind I'm a WGT rookie and I only race at the club level:

Speed Merchant Speed Spec II
BSR Double Pink Front
BSR Pink Rear
Novak Havoc ESC
Novak SS10.5 motor
Multiplex Polo Digi 4 servo (basically a digital Hitec HS-85MG)
HPI Mustang GTR body (I know it's a "flying brick" but it just looks cool)
...and of course a SMC 3.7v 4000 battery!!
cla5675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

We going to try 21.5 lipo on our small to medium carpet track. I am 1 ounce over with my battery in place. All else on my car meets the spec of the rules.

CRC tires
CRC Gen X Pro 10
Protoform C6R
Hitec 225
Novak 21.5
Novak GTB

Major fun!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #129
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Major fun!
Exactly!! Lipo/brushless are what make the hobby a lot more enjoyable for me and my racing buddies!! We only wrench to fix a broken part or change set up. No more motor/battery maintenance!!
cla5675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #130
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla5675 View Post
Well, last night I finally bought the SMC 3.7v pack and ran it in my WGT along with a 10.5 motor. The speed was good, but there were no other WGT cars at the track last night so I didn't have a peer to compare with. However, the WGT was much faster than my 17.5/rubber tire touring car down the 80' straight away. My motor was only coming off at 90 degrees so I've got some more room to gear up if need be. Punch out of the corners wasn't bad either....of course I was geared a little low. I was also running at 1086 grams...a little under minimum wieght. I didn't run a booster or RX pack. I wanted to see how well the car worked without 6v to the servo. As suspected, the servo felt sluggish and would not center coming out of a hard turn. Sometimes the servo even felt "locked" coming out of a turn and I would take a sharp left or right into a board. I think a booster will be all I need to get the servo issue worked out....I'll be buying Novak's booster as soon as possible!! All in all, I'm very happy with this pack and I truly believe we might be seeing the end of Nickel based cells....at least at my local tracks!!

By the way, here is my WGT setup....please bare in mind I'm a WGT rookie and I only race at the club level:

Speed Merchant Speed Spec II
BSR Double Pink Front
BSR Pink Rear
Novak Havoc ESC
Novak SS10.5 motor
Multiplex Polo Digi 4 servo (basically a digital Hitec HS-85MG)
HPI Mustang GTR body (I know it's a "flying brick" but it just looks cool)
...and of course a SMC 3.7v 4000 battery!!
yeah, my 12th car locked up like that too.. u need more voltage to run your reciever that what you are giving it .. either a flight pack or a voltage booster will cure that problem.

Oh yeah , you are supposed to be runing lilacs all corners !
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

WCIC series race #2, 9 WGT cars all 4 cell/13.5, top 5 cars qualified within 2 seconds of each other. No fuss, no muss, no blown up packs, just good racing.

Like it or not just use the rules, nothing wrong with them the way they are.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #132
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
WCIC series race #2, 9 WGT cars all 4 cell/13.5, top 5 cars qualified within 2 seconds of each other. No fuss, no muss, no blown up packs, just good racing.

Like it or not just use the rules, nothing wrong with them the way they are.
I do have a 13.5 Pulse and Ener-g 4600s just in case, but would prefer to stay with 7.4 V.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #133
Tech Master

Uhhmm , .... WCIC ?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #134
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Uhhmm , .... WCIC ?
WCIC is "Western Canadian Indoor Championship". It's a 4-race series run at venues in Alberta and Saskatchewan that attracts some of the best racers in Western Canada.

I was one of those that Johnny Wishbone was referring to in WGT (I qualified 5th and finished 2nd ). It was, without a doubt, the BEST and CLOSEST racing I've ever been part of!

We had no problems with 4-cell/13.5 and I'm very content running this formula for WGT for now. Having said that I can't help but think that if we could settle on a reasonable formula using Lipo we'd probably attract even more racers to this class. I've personally heard more than one person in our local club say that they'd be in WGT in a second if they didn't have to deal with NiMH's (Although I suspect they are still thinking about the crappy IB cells from a few years ago).

Any which way you slice it, this is a GREAT class!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #135
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike View Post
WCIC is "Western Canadian Indoor Championship". It's a 4-race series run at venues in Alberta and Saskatchewan that attracts some of the best racers in Western Canada.

I was one of those that Johnny Wishbone was referring to in WGT (I qualified 5th and finished 2nd ). It was, without a doubt, the BEST and CLOSEST racing I've ever been part of!

We had no problems with 4-cell/13.5 and I'm very content running this formula for WGT for now. Having said that I can't help but think that if we could settle on a reasonable formula using Lipo we'd probably attract even more racers to this class. I've personally heard more than one person in our local club say that they'd be in WGT in a second if they didn't have to deal with NiMH's (Although I suspect they are still thinking about the crappy IB cells from a few years ago).

Any which way you slice it, this is a GREAT class!

Cheers,
Mike

I would venture to say its not because they are thinking of the old IB cells. Its probably more along the lines of less hassle maintaining the cells. I personally travel 95% of the time and since the introduction of lipos racing has been 1000 times more fun for me personally. With no cells to maintain I dont have to worry about the up keep and just show up and race. For now I'll just run at a club level and if the rules change and allow lipo I will definitely take it to a major event.