R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I have been testing my SMC 1 cell with my 12th and WGT cars lately. I found in my 12th that the loss in weight from te batery wasn't much of an issue. however in my 10R5 my car felt MUCH better once I added weight back to the chassis on the battery. I had way too much off power steering. I will try a softer rear spring to see if I can get the car to work without adding the weight. The SMC weighs in right around 120 grams and a normal 4 cell pack comes in right at 300.
If you can, try softer side springs too. Putting a lighter batt in the car is almost like making all the springs on the car stiffer.

We ran into this when we started running 5 cell mod in sedans. We had to switch from Schu White (rated 14 but more like 15) springs to Tamiya Yellow (13.9) to let the car roll and transfer weight with the lighter batt.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Will do.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
If there is a change the industry will have to absorbe it . But it seems we have enough enginuity to do anything we want to. Problem is most of the racers have other obligations in life other than just buying all new stuff t play speed racer once or twice a week.
Seems to me there has to be a "Formula" not unlike what the trans am guys do. I love that vintage stuff ! Problem is , no one wants to go slow. But then again they also want to keep their cars in one piece. I see in other forums people suggesting that the slowest GT3 class might be the biggest. Ok ok.. thats touring cars but listen up please.
Setting up races where everyone is close no matter what they run.
making cars slower to make it more of a drivers race .
acceleration standardized almost by .... historic at best motors or changing the voltage from the source pack. We have enough toys to play with , lets race then , and if you have a 12th car and u want to run 3.7v and a 13.5, whatever ! bring on your 380 mini motor monsters and lets go toe to toe . just come out and race. Diversity is not only out strength but also neusence. things were far more fun when everyone only had a 12i or whatever but we all had the same crap. There were like 20 or more of us all 4 cell and a 27 pos motor. Trans Am has an ansewr for almost any configuration. Kinda like MINI M03 but 4wd and not plastic! Figuring out how to win without the FASTEST car on the track sounds like the best racing around! My 4 cell 12R5 was Amazing last friday. felt a bit slow but 1st week out you know. For now lets race because most people wont like what another says we need to do. Spend more time on the track proving yourself wothy of an opinion about what others should be running. For one I like the motor size we have and I love Lipos. Efficiency or not a brushless motor canbe made to run about any speed imaginable. Lets remember the sanctioning bodies want to slow the cars down. Making the cars lighter will only change setup. but that will also make the cars faster . So how do we formulate a ligitimate seudo reality toy car race. Final drive .. wind .. volts.. tires.. whatever it takes. but then industry... who picks what tire... the tire manufacture? Us? Hmmm, What ever happened to that fair trade agreement ? There will always be faster cars... better drivers... lets find out by racing. not crashing , not breaking, everyone finishes .... every time. well almost
i 'would' agree whole heartly, except for the fact i can buy a 50.00 silver can motor to run GT3 and Mini with, and not to mention ALL the tricks to get a slow car to run fast.

We did have a conversation about just saying run what the heck ever you want, but if your faster your gonna gear down to stay with the pack.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #64
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by el salvador View Post
My thoughts about the LiPo vs 4cell NiMh debate..... This past weekend, here in Seattle, we had round #3 of our NWIC race @SIR. I observed the following: there were 8 WGT entries, all were required to run 4cell. Two guys would have prefered to run LiPo, but switched to 4cell, (the TQ and winner was one who prefered LiPo), Two guys brought their cars but didn't want to switch to 4cell, so they didn't race. Myself and another guy would have raced but I refuse to buy new 4cell packs to do so. And, if I'm not mistaken, One guy got pissed off about all the equivocating and infighting and sold his AE car to Skypilot, (he didn't want to see the class go LiPo). A few days prior to this "Big Two day Race", I had our Race Directer tell me that he didn't care about the 2 power systems running together, BUT!, the advantage "had to go to the 4cell cars period". (kinda takes the fun out of it). So, to make a short story long, all I keep getting is "attitude", irrational "attitude", and to this I say, exactly how is this supposed to "GROW THE CLASS!!!". I think that there can be reasonable parody between the Two different battery types, and if it's not fair enough, then devide the cars into seperate classes, (but you know if that were to be done, I'd be willing to bet that the LiPo technology would suplant the 4cell cars in popularity in short order).

So the'res my .02, and more food for thought.....
good post lynn, BUT, the reason Fred sold is car is incorrect, At the beginning of the season the rules for the class were same as IIC, 4 cell, 13.5. for the 2nd race of the series at Timezone, a vote was taken to switch the motor to 10.5, the vote was for a one time, one race change, then at timezone the another vote was taken to run 10.5 the rest of the series, or at least at SIR, I ran 10.5 at SIR, bad choice of any hope of close racing. If I'm not mistaken, Dave and some others decided to run 13.5 instead. anyway, another short story long, Fred sold his car because of the motor rule change.

btw (SIR did change its club rules to 4 cell 13.5)
Old 12-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
good post lynn, BUT, the reason Fred sold is car is incorrect, At the beginning of the season the rules for the class were same as IIC, 4 cell, 13.5. for the 2nd race of the series at Timezone, a vote was taken to switch the motor to 10.5, the vote was for a one time, one race change, then at timezone the another vote was taken to run 10.5 the rest of the series, or at least at SIR, I ran 10.5 at SIR, bad choice of any hope of close racing. If I'm not mistaken, Dave and some others decided to run 13.5 instead. anyway, another short story long, Fred sold his car because of the motor rule change.

I believe that Dave ran the 10.5 for the mains. The racing was not as bad as I thought it would have been with 8 cars on the track but there was not really any close racing just a few battles. Hopefully it's back to 13.5 from here on out. And the club rule is 13.5 4cell/21.5 Lipo I think
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Ok.. 4 cell 13.5
LiPo 1 cell 10.5
LiPo 2 sell 21.5
all cars have to be no less than gt spec. weight!
Done. Just race and have fun, WTF!
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Very good combo -- and fits for everyone...

I'm hoping to have a car together to try this class out after the 1st of the year, and I can do ALL (3) of those combos, but I prefer not to run ROUND Cells, and I'm not yet sold on 3.7v -- but it's got potential.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Ok.. 4 cell 13.5
LiPo 1 cell 10.5
LiPo 2 sell 21.5
all cars have to be no less than gt spec. weight!
Done. Just race and have fun, WTF!

lol, great idea, now to talk the guys into lipo 2 cell 17.5
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post

I sold the car because I was tired of all the dicking around with the rules for a class that was designed to be run on 4 cell. The original intent was to follow IIC rules, wherever they came from,and where they will probably wind up being ROAR rules, 4 cell 13.5BL.

And you people wonder why on-road is going down the tubes.
Gone off-road, where rules are stable and a regular Sunday club race draws more than an indoor series that used to have 5 tracks to race at.
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #70
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
Gone off-road, where rules are stable and a regular Sunday club race draws more than an indoor series that used to have 5 tracks to race at.
tru dat homie, true that.

you get those snow tires on yet? I'll be there friday and sunday, storm or no storm
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Fred how can I say this nicely.... you friken A hole you brought up the motor change vote up at the first race in Salem. You guys before even showing up at our track thought that 13.5 (4) cell would be too slow at our place so you guys' voted for 10.5..... We did not even have cars or vote at the time.

The vote did come up to keep the 10.5 motor at our race, and we after selling (10) new cars to the local market and getting them on the track, we did include ourselves in the vote.

That was it... never another rule change just a friken suggestion that we look at a lipo solution..... Probably the most active topic on RCtech is the lipo in WGT discussion. You sold your car because the competition drove you away... Sorry man but I don't appreciate being called ignorant for bring up a topic for discussion.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On my first test (not at track) everything ran great. So I'm sticking with my 13.5 and 1 cell lipo pack set-up.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #73
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
Fred how can I say this nicely.... you friken A hole you brought up the motor change vote up at the first race in Salem. You guys before even showing up at our track thought that 13.5 (4) cell would be too slow at our place so you guys' voted for 10.5..... We did not even have cars or vote at the time.

The vote did come up to keep the 10.5 motor at our race, and we after selling (10) new cars to the local market and getting them on the track, we did include ourselves in the vote.

That was it... never another rule change just a friken suggestion that we look at a lipo solution..... Probably the most active topic on RCtech is the lipo in WGT discussion. You sold your car because the competition drove you away... Sorry man but I don't appreciate being called ignorant for bring up a topic for discussion.
Sorry you feel that way Mark, and certainly did not imply that you are ignorant.
You have the best track in the north west, 100X60 carpeted pool table. At Salem there were only 4 cars in WGT, I asked if they wanted to run 10.5 for your race only! The cars were great. I was the only one that voted against 10.5 for the rest of the series, and it played out pretty much that way at SIR didn't it?
I'm happy to make the A, I'm a mid pack racer like you, so faster competition never has bothered me.

But you did threaten to boycott the SIR race and not have the other 10 cars you sold show up unless you got to run lipo 7.4V.
So it went from 4 cars at the first race to 12 at the second race and the boycott brought it down to 8 cars for the third race of the series.

The 10R5 I sold only needed a reciever and transponder, had a Speed Passion speedo and Novak 10.5, 3 batt packs and lots of tires, ask the new owner why he didn't run race 3.

I had planned on running the final round there with a 1/12th from Scottrick, let me know if I'm not welcome.
Fred
Old 12-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
Sorry you feel that way Mark, and certainly did not imply that you are ignorant.
You have the best track in the north west, 100X60 carpeted pool table. At Salem there were only 4 cars in WGT, I asked if they wanted to run 10.5 for your race only! The cars were great. I was the only one that voted against 10.5 for the rest of the series, and it played out pretty much that way at SIR didn't it?
I'm happy to make the A, I'm a mid pack racer like you, so faster competition never has bothered me.

But you did threaten to boycott the SIR race and not have the other 10 cars you sold show up unless you got to run lipo 7.4V.
So it went from 4 cars at the first race to 12 at the second race and the boycott brought it down to 8 cars for the third race of the series.

The 10R5 I sold only needed a reciever and transponder, had a Speed Passion speedo and Novak 10.5, 3 batt packs and lots of tires, ask the new owner why he didn't run race 3.

I had planned on running the final round there with a 1/12th from Scottrick, let me know if I'm not welcome.
Fred
We'll enter you under a pseudonym and get you a disguise. Just tell us where you hid the beer this time!
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdut View Post
We'll enter you under a pseudonym and get you a disguise. Just tell us where you hid the beer this time!
Guess I will just have to hide the beer in the snow pile by the door like last time, the necks were sticking out of the snow