R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

we run the WGT cars with the lilacs like in the rules for that class but we limited it to 3700's . That allows us to dead short the cells after running and storage isn't a baby sitting job. I hope soon we can all run a single cell lipo and 10.5. we may just be as well off with a 13.5 and no extra weight with the 3.7v battery.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #137
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
we run the WGT cars with the lilacs like in the rules for that class but we limited it to 3700's . That allows us to dead short the cells after running and storage isn't a baby sitting job. I hope soon we can all run a single cell lipo and 10.5. we may just be as well off with a 13.5 and no extra weight with the 3.7v battery.
Good luck with the 10.5 or 13.5 and the 3.7V lipo...Hope that is a workable solution too.

Keep it up!

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #138
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A buddy let me drive his WGT car last fri for a run. What fun! The car was tweaked pretty badly but, I could still kinda get a feel for it. Very simalar to my 1/12 scale. Just a bit more stable and slower. Would love to try it but wont touch round cells. Come on guys, get the lipos in and working so I can play too !!!

Im running 13.5/1c in 1/12 and love it. I bet 10.5/1c would be perfect in WGT.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #139
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
A buddy let me drive his WGT car last fri for a run. What fun! The car was tweaked pretty badly but, I could still kinda get a feel for it. Very simalar to my 1/12 scale. Just a bit more stable and slower. Would love to try it but wont touch round cells. Come on guys, get the lipos in and working so I can play too !!!

Im running 13.5/1c in 1/12 and love it. I bet 10.5/1c would be perfect in WGT.

DK
I'll be doing some testing with my WGT next week. From what I've seen in 1/12 scale, I would guess there won't be much difference between the 10.5 and 13.5 once they are geared to run consistant laps for the whole race.
1/12 scale drivers are reporting that voltage drop off happens quickly when 2500~2600 MAH have been used. I'm pretty sure I could feel a difference at around 2400 MAH into the run.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #140
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

21.5 lipo geared 100/33 with box stock tires rolling out to to 62.6 mm is about a half a second to a full second a lap FASTER than the 13.5 sedans. My CRC is an absolute blast to drive. I could see limiting the C rating for sure.

Sedans were running right around 10 seconds during testing. The CRC cracked a couple 9.2s and a 9.1, but seriously settled in around 9.4 seconds.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 AM   #141
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
I'll be doing some testing with my WGT next week. From what I've seen in 1/12 scale, I would guess there won't be much difference between the 10.5 and 13.5 once they are geared to run consistant laps for the whole race.
1/12 scale drivers are reporting that voltage drop off happens quickly when 2500~2600 MAH have been used. I'm pretty sure I could feel a difference at around 2400 MAH into the run.
Awsome !! Let us know how it goes.

As for the voltage drop off, I use from 2400 to 2600mah and the motor gets a touch smoother but thats about it. Lap times are still the same.

DK
Old 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #142
Tech Regular

I made some real progress running the single cell lipo with my Orion 13.5 and Tekin RS.

The gear combo that had the best feel with a balance of punch and top speed was the 31/88 with 2.25" tires. That's only a 2.5 rollout which suprised me a little.

WGT didn't have a full class due to weathwer last night, so I jumped in with stock 1/12 for an 8 min race. I was able to run about 1 second off the pace for the full 8 min. with no sign of falling off. I used around 2300mah capacity. This is with a heavy car and a track transponder. Motor ran cool all night.

I used the Chinese voltage booster for the first time wired directly to back of the battery connector. Tekin 189 software, sensored with full timing boost and 0 timing on the motor. Everything worked perfectly.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #143
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I made some real progress running the single cell lipo with my Orion 13.5 and Tekin RS.

The gear combo that had the best feel with a balance of punch and top speed was the 31/88 with 2.25" tires. That's only a 2.5 rollout which suprised me a little.

WGT didn't have a full class due to weathwer last night, so I jumped in with stock 1/12 for an 8 min race. I was able to run about 1 second off the pace for the full 8 min. with no sign of falling off. I used around 2300mah capacity. This is with a heavy car and a track transponder. Motor ran cool all night.

I used the Chinese voltage booster for the first time wired directly to back of the battery connector. Tekin 189 software, sensored with full timing boost and 0 timing on the motor. Everything worked perfectly.
Eddie, how you coming in for weight?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #144
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:

yeah,, that sounds right . I run on a 75x36 track and roll best around 2.5 as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #145
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

Very kewl...Hope you get to run with "legal" WGT 13.5/4-cell cars soon. Seems that you would have to run 10.5/single cell lipo to keep up with them.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #146
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Eddie, how you coming in for weight?
My car weighs 1008g without the transponder. It's a Speed Merchant speed spec chassis without side fins.

It's a little heavy compared to the top of the line stuff, but it's a nice handling car and I had it left over from my speed spec days.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #147
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Calling all pan car dudes in the Los Angeles area. I am trying to get a core of guys that want to run pan cars at least once a month at Crystal Park Raceway. At the moment we meet for racing the 3rd Saturday of the month. I want to push for the pro 10 class but willing to go World GT if the majority rules. The track as you will see is a nice big track and would be ideal for Pro 10. Currently I am running Novak 3.5r, lipo. But again as stated I can easily swap to a 10.5 or 17.5 for World GT. Let me know if you are in the area and see if we can meet up any weekend for practice before racing.

Flyer

Here are some recent pictures of the track and of my car:

One of the nitro guys I see at the track running an electric touring car

Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #148
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
Calling all pan car dudes in the Los Angeles area. I am trying to get a core of guys that want to run pan cars at least once a month at Crystal Park Raceway. At the moment we meet for racing the 3rd Saturday of the month. I want to push for the pro 10 class but willing to go World GT if the majority rules. The track as you will see is a nice big track and would be ideal for Pro 10. Currently I am running Novak 3.5r, lipo. But again as stated I can easily swap to a 10.5 or 17.5 for World GT. Let me know if you are in the area and see if we can meet up any weekend for practice before racing.

Flyer

Here are some recent pictures of the track and of my car:

One of the nitro guys I see at the track running an electric touring car

More of an eighth scale track, but its beautiful!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #149
Tech Master

I would kill to have a track like that close to me. Awsome looking track.

DK
Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #150
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice track- wish I lived in LA to race on it.Anyone out there running their cars with a 13.5 and single cell lipo?
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote