R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Ceramic

Im just wanting to find out if there is noticeable difference between standard and ceramic bearings. No one in Australia runs them (or at least havent noticed them running them).
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:19 AM   #2

I've only heard of a few people who have purchased them. Ceramic bearings are lighter and supposedly last 12 times longer, but spin about the same as a standard bearing. There is a rumor that Boca is going to release an inexpensive ceramic bearing for RC cars, but until then, they are a little too much money for what you get, in my opinion.
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I've heard, from someone who ran Acer's ceramic bearings, that they ATE diff rings.

I hear really good things about Acer's PFTE bearings, though. Much more affordable, and easier on the diffs.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #4

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use Acerís ceramic bearings on the front wheels of my 10L2. They are noticeably smoother and spin longer. That advertised, ď30% less frictionĒ is obvious.

On the other hand, they donít seem to work all that well for the rear end, getting very notchy and rough very fast when placed under the heavier load of a Pan Carís rear axle assembly.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #5
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I ran a complete set of the Acer ceramic bearings on my TBEvo3, and they were awesome. They spun smoother and longer than anything I've ever seen, and are much more reasonable than Boca's prices. acerracing.com
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:42 AM   #6
Tech Elite

I recommend Acer bearings as well. They have the best ads!
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:26 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

I run acer ceramics in my tc3 and are much smoother and last longer before a rebuild than that standard teflon bearings in the kit.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Ceramic bearings are great if you can afford them, and you can stay away from the walls. They have less rolling resistance than comparable steel units, but the surface of the ball can "flake" off because of hard side loading (wheel impacts). This will make the bearing feel gritty or nothchy no matter how much you clean them.
Jay Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:09 PM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Dub
Ceramic bearings are great if you can afford them, and you can stay away from the walls. They have less rolling resistance than comparable steel units, but the surface of the ball can "flake" off because of hard side loading (wheel impacts). This will make the bearing feel gritty or nothchy no matter how much you clean them.
pure ceramic (white) has this problem. ceramic nitride (grey or black) is super hard and it is harder then carbide steel.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Manticore I agree, but I have heard of a few people eating ceramic hub bearings after a hard hit. I think it usually gets the outside one which indicates it IS possible to crack the ceramic balls from something other than lack of maintenance,
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:01 AM   #11
Tech Adept

I have a complete Acer racing cermanic equipped XXX-S and a 12L3.. I'm 100% happy... XXX-S & 12L3 are noticably a lot free spinning.. Real Bearing Tech info: Balls in Bearing are rated for roundness!! 1-50.. 1 being the best roundness. Acer racing Cermanic bearings are Grade 5. My diff rebuilds are at 6 month apart. When I rebuilt Diffs in XXX-S diffs felt all most as smooth as I first built it.I just basically cleaning them now. Prices? I'll never see me buying Boca pocas. Acer prices are very good. 3/32 Carbide balls(Losi Brand) for Losi diff @ hobby shop are 11.99 (12.00). Acer cermanic diff balls are 19.99 (20.00). Not much more. I have all of Acer Racing bearings. All good stuffs for the price.. All the rest of bearings at Acer are grade 10..
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:43 AM   #12
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

I have also purchased Acer Bearings and ceramic diff balls but I'm not as pleased as you are!

I own an X-ray and my friend XXX-S, and both are not happy.

1. Some of the bearing don't fit well on my friend's XXX-S
2. diff balls are very hard on the plates and not only we change plates every time we rebuild but we have to change diff balls as well! (we have tried without and the diff still feels gridy)
3. On almost all of my ball bearings the teflon shield gone!

It has great prices but for my experience the product doen't match my standards!

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel

Last edited by nnick; 10-10-2003 at 01:02 AM.
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 02:08 AM   #13
Tech Adept

nnick, I have run into problems with "losi" molded parts before too. That is probably why bearings don't fit. Or maybe losi parts are worn out? As far as cermanic balls being hard on diff rings. Yes that can happen.Is your thrust bearing worn out? I polish my rings with 400 grade sandpaper to take wear off. Then polish them with 1000 grade for mirror finish.. Then I use "Niftech Rocket Ring Lube," the best stuff out there.. Put diff together, Just tighten thrust bearing until it seats. Then I take a variable speed demel tool with a felt poslishing tip that just fits inside outdrive. Hold left outdrive in left hand. Then very carefully turn on demel tool to slowest speed. Run it for a couple of minutes. Then swap ends. Then I hold diff in left hand. Pointer & thumb finger holding gear and rest of left hand holding outdrive. Take right hand turn and turn right outdrive. If it slips, tighten a little and run it in dremel tool again. Do this until diff doesn't slip. Diff is ready to put in car. 90% of time I don't have to retighten diff when run in car. Diff will be smooth & will not slip.
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by nnick
I have also purchased Acer Bearings and ceramic diff balls but I'm not as pleased as you are!

On almost all of my ball bearings the teflon shield gone!

It has great prices but for my experience the product doen't match my standards!

Nick
I too have had this problem with the Teflon sealed/shielded Bearings from Acer. The seals are paper thin and have even had them blow out when cleaning the bearings.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 06:22 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
I too have had this problem with the Teflon sealed/shielded Bearings from Acer. The seals are paper thin and have even had them blow out when cleaning the bearings.
You should get the one with the polyamide (spelling??) shield/sealed... It's though and stay's on the bearings...