Wiki Posts
Search

Novak ESC question?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Novak ESC question?????

Can you use a different brand motor (sensored) with the Novak brushless ESC? please explain
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by mike williams
Can you use a different brand motor (sensored) with the Novak brushless ESC? please explain
With most of our ESCs this is possible, but with certain ESCs there are software checks that inadvertantly prevent some other brands' motors from being run.

This stems from the fact that most other manufacturers fail to include an onboard temperature sensor for the motor. Some of our ESCs run checks to ensure that the temperature sensing for the motor is active (IE, temp sensor wire has not been cut, etc) to ensure safe running conditions. If the motor temperature sensor is not present, some of our ESCs will not power up and run the motor.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have used Novak, Trinity, and Speed Passions motors with my GTB with no problems. I'm pretty sure that most of the name brand motors will work with the GTB. Ones like the Mambas won't. I think Hacker works with the GTB as well but i could be wrong.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
The Evicerator

Most of the sensored motors should run fine with the GTB!
Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
With most of our ESCs this is possible, but with certain ESCs there are software checks that inadvertantly prevent some other brands' motors from being run.

This stems from the fact that most other manufacturers fail to include an onboard temperature sensor for the motor. Some of our ESCs run checks to ensure that the temperature sensing for the motor is active (IE, temp sensor wire has not been cut, etc) to ensure safe running conditions. If the motor temperature sensor is not present, some of our ESCs will not power up and run the motor.
Sounds like your employeed by Novak. I have heard that you can run some other brands with the GTB, but I have the XBR Esc and looking for a little more performance. Would it be better to run a 8.5 w/sinter rotor like the NOV3408
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12846

I just don't want to pay $80 for just a motor, seems a little steep. Any other advice. I like the feel of the 8.5 just needs a little more torque.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
The Evicerator

Mike,

You're right I am employed at Novak.

Your easiest (and cheapest) solution is to get a sintered rotor upgrade kit for your motor. This will upgrade your motor to near "pro-spec"... basically the only thing it will be lacking will be the ribbed/lightened endbells... but there is not major performance difference in the two types of endbells.

If you go online to our shopatron website you can get the upgrade kit... the part number is S5923.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by mike williams
Sounds like your employeed by Novak. I have heard that you can run some other brands with the GTB, but I have the XBR Esc and looking for a little more performance. Would it be better to run a 8.5 w/sinter rotor like the NOV3408
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12846

I just don't want to pay $80 for just a motor, seems a little steep. Any other advice. I like the feel of the 8.5 just needs a little more torque.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Steve, I feel like an idiot....I did not see your signature. Thanks for the info and were can i purchase that upgrade other than the shopatron? I like to use paypal. I did not see it on amains website.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
The Evicerator

unfortunately that kit has been discontinued from general distribution... you *may* be able to find it elsewhere like tower or horizon...but otherwise if you don't like shopatron you will have to part it out with the sintered rotor and large bearing front end bell
Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Gtb

Originally Posted by AssocRacer
I have used Novak, Trinity, and Speed Passions motors with my GTB with no problems. I'm pretty sure that most of the name brand motors will work with the GTB. Ones like the Mambas won't. I think Hacker works with the GTB as well but i could be wrong.
I have a Hacker 17.5 running fine off a GTB.