R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2003, 12:23 PM   #31
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
American science and surplus
anyone know where i could find 30mmx30mmx10mm fans?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:16 PM   #32
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

If the fans don't make that much of a difference, then why have they become so popular with the PRO drivers? There must be some advantage to them. Besides any air moving across a metal object will help with cooling whether it be 3cfm or 30000 cfm. Next you're gonna tell me that Big Jim's tip for put ice on my motor doesn't help one bit.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:59 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think that idea is cool. I've been trying to figure otu a place for a fan in my car and that solves it!!!

-Sushi Boy
Old 10-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #34
Tech Regular

I debated weather or not to post to this thread, but felt I needed to. The circulating of air over and around the motor is beneficial, no matter how small. 3cfm is not allot, but everthing will help. I am also a strong believer in heat sinks, because they also work. The problem with deciding to run a heatsink, or use a fan, is one of dynamics. If you are going to use a fan, use one that is the most efficient use of space and energy. 5v fans are available in the 30mm sq. foot print that produce around 9cfm, they are also expensive $12-$14. Less expensive fans are available but they also produce lower cfm ratings. The current draw of the fans is also negligable compared to what your motor draws. The heat sink is also a nice add on, but can actually cause heat build up in your motors. Few manufacturers will tell you this, because most sell tons of heat sinks. The key is that the heat sinks CANNOT cover the vent holes in the can. Most heat sinks DO cover the holes in the can, and the motors will run hotter than before. So, if you are going to but the latest greatest gadget, use your head-Buy a heatsink with holes in it for air circulation thru the motor (Trinity has a good one), and if you are going to buy a fan, make sure it is 5v, and buy one that will do the best job possible-Advance Racing Components (ARC) has a good one (pre-wired w/connector too)
Jay Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:10 AM   #35
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Dub
I debated weather or not to post to this thread, but felt I needed to. The circulating of air over and around the motor is beneficial, no matter how small. 3cfm is not allot, but everthing will help. I am also a strong believer in heat sinks, because they also work. The problem with deciding to run a heatsink, or use a fan, is one of dynamics. If you are going to use a fan, use one that is the most efficient use of space and energy. 5v fans are available in the 30mm sq. foot print that produce around 9cfm, they are also expensive $12-$14. Less expensive fans are available but they also produce lower cfm ratings. The current draw of the fans is also negligable compared to what your motor draws. The heat sink is also a nice add on, but can actually cause heat build up in your motors. Few manufacturers will tell you this, because most sell tons of heat sinks. The key is that the heat sinks CANNOT cover the vent holes in the can. Most heat sinks DO cover the holes in the can, and the motors will run hotter than before. So, if you are going to but the latest greatest gadget, use your head-Buy a heatsink with holes in it for air circulation thru the motor (Trinity has a good one), and if you are going to buy a fan, make sure it is 5v, and buy one that will do the best job possible-Advance Racing Components (ARC) has a good one (pre-wired w/connector too)
hey, i could not find anything about Advance Racing Components, is there a link or something like that?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:17 AM   #36
Tech Adept

You can take present heat sink without holes and drill holes in them. So you don't cover vent holes on motor. I wish fan mount was part of motor mount & cooling more of end bell.... But that would be a problem with XXX-S
akrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:29 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Genetic Send a message via Yahoo to Genetic

I think drilling the holes in the heatsink do sort of work. btw you can mount the fan in front of your xxxs, thats what i did.
Genetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:51 AM   #38
Tech Regular

Advanced Racing Components is a new company, they don't have a web set yet. I know they have product @ Hobby World in Gilroy Ca. I think they will sell to the public if your LHS doesn't carry their stuff yet.
Jay Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:37 AM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Quote:
Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
I hook it onto my motor so it spins when the motor gets throttle.
This past weekend I ran a fan in a TC3 connected to the battery slot in the receiver. I guess the slot does not provide enough voltage to run the fan at a descent speed to cool the motor enough???? I will connect it to the motor for more voltage then I am sure it will pull enough air to make a difference. I was also thinking of using a 9 volt battery to power the fan completely independent of the main batteries. We'll see....
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:07 AM   #40
Tech Initiate

The fan works great. I have ran it for a few races (a lot of practice) on the carpet, no fibers in the fan and I ran out of power before the motor got hot. The air movement is out of the motor not blowing into the motor. If you feel the motor w/o the fan and heatsink you will feel that the air is blowing out of the can via the vent holes, if you position the fan so it moves the same direction you will move more air.
kcburnzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:27 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

I have a 7cmf 5 volt orion fan on my xray evo 2. Works good. I can't get a heatsink on my motor in an xray cause of the bulkheads.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

The best part of using the heatsink fan is that after a race I unplug the fan from the reciever and plug it into a 4 cell reciever pack and let it run to cool the motor while I am marshalling. This is not as big of an issue indoors as it was in the summer.
kcburnzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:15 AM   #43
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by minicooper
This past weekend I ran a fan in a TC3 connected to the battery slot in the receiver. I guess the slot does not provide enough voltage to run the fan at a descent speed to cool the motor enough???? I will connect it to the motor for more voltage then I am sure it will pull enough air to make a difference. I was also thinking of using a 9 volt battery to power the fan completely independent of the main batteries. We'll see....
Do you have a 5v fan? If you have a 12v fan then it wil not move enough air.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:49 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper

Yes 5V fan, 5.40 cfm, .15 amps, 6000 rpm

Last edited by minicooper; 10-14-2003 at 12:04 PM.
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote