R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
So, am I reading the GFX #s wrong????
You are looking at the numbers correctly. I am just stating that on track performance is more important than what the GFX states.

Without mentioning brands. I had a brand new lipo for the Halloween Classic and it cycled out great, but after several runs on the track I really did not think it was anything special. So I got out one of my older packs that cycles out much lower and went "significantly" faster on the track. This battery was from another company and had a lot less MAH rating as well. One was a 5000mah and the other was a 3800mah. 3800 was night and day better on the track.

My point is we are not racing GFX's.........

I would also like to note that I think this TP battery will be the battery to beat on the track. They are not new to this game. They're number one in the air.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hey RBLove, my GFX keeps traction rolling. Do you have any setups tips??
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
OK, I'll lighten things up a bit with an easy question.

Are there bumps on the bottom to engage the chassis' battery slots?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle478 View Post
On the 5000maH batteries there is not slots. On the smaller cells they will have the "bumps".
So, without the bumps, what's the best way to secure the pack? I just use strapping tape front to back, but should I use servo tape or something to hold it side-to-side?

OK, here's another easy one:

I run higher-turn motors such as 13.5, 17.5, and even 21.5. It's clear how a pack like this can benefit current-sucking low-turn mod motors, but can it benefit stock-ish motors as well? My guess is yes -- I would have a much higher average voltage over a 5-minute race.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #124
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post

Make sure you are running at least 200A on both left and right leads, if all else fails turn the C rating down.....it changes from pack to pack......lol!!!
trickd122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #125
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My GFX can kick your GFX"S...ohhh, sorry, got confused as to what we were racing again..

Hey Jason,

I ordered two packs yesterday to be two day aired to Indiana (leaving for the US Open Wheel Champs), can you confirm for me that they are on their way?

Thanks,
Mark Stetler
Stetler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickd122 View Post
Make sure you are running at least 200A on both left and right leads, if all else fails turn the C rating down.....it changes from pack to pack......lol!!!
Now that is some funny stuff.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #127
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99

As far as I am concerned the capacity of a pack means crap. What is important is a standard discharge current similar to what was done previously on NiMH cells. The real important numbers are not Avg voltage at the end of the runtime. We should only be looking at numbers which correlate directly to a race. Meaning what is the voltage at say 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m and 6 minutes. You could then also avg the data points for each of those times. Who cares what the Avg Voltage is down to 3V per cell.

We are only looking at the Energy needed to complete a race + hot laps. What is the open circuit voltage and then 1 second after the 30A is applied?

I typically discharge my cells on an electronic load programmed with a 25% duty cycle 30A pulse at 2kHz representive of an output of an ESC. This avg current is only 7.5A but it does give an indication of how the cells perform when hit with a high current load. This gives me IR. And yes all test setups differ. Why expose cells to 200A continuosly, what does this indicate nothing.

Now Danny at SMC, and I am not 100% sure had previously stated in another thread he tested at 28A where his packs were rated at 28C. I am guessing that the C Rating was how much current was discharged. Now ThunderPower has stated 40C packs and a 200A load. 40 x 5000mA = 200A

Test both packs at a standard rate say 25A and post the data at discrete times which can give an indication of what a racer MAY expect during a race.

Thanks
rinkrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Reading all this BS is worse than back in the day when people said Reedy packs were false because the "LAVACO" system wasn't the norm. To me if every manufactor isn't using the same standards in matching then it's all marketing mumbo jumbo. SMC puts out some great cells and has pretty much run away with the lipo trophy. If someone else has come along and has matched or one up SMC then so be it. It's the nature of the beast. As far as finishing results go who's to say who will be standing tall at the finish line? Most of the top dogs have battery sponsors so it may be tough to get TP up there.......then again people switch teams all the time. Bottom line is it's the grunts like me that will be purchasing the batteries anyways so once someone at the club level starts doing well with a certain pack others will take note of that and fall in line. To be honest......out here in Norcal the battery beating everyone is the Reedy 5000 20C Are we racing C ratings or are we actually racing on the track????? Having a variety to choose from is great. I love the internet. How many PM's (good or bad) will I receive over my comments?????????????
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #129
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
So, am I reading the GFX #s wrong????
You are not reading it wrong. What you are seeing is the variation between different GFXs hence it is impossible to reproduce the numbers.
itchynads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #130
Tech Regular

Thunder power. When will the 8000 mah packs be available... Thats what allot of us are really waiting for.
Dragonfueled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #131
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Superglue the side of your GFX.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #132
Tech Rookie

The best test of this new 5000 is on the track, has it been run in any major races? How did it compare to the Orion, SMC and other major brands?
FIG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #133
Tech Adept

We have received several requests asking us to show how our wires exit the case on our cell packs. We put them on the corner edge so that you can position them to be flush on top and side if needed. Several cars have bulk heads and or top plates that may interfere.

ThunderPowerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #134
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
I cycled it how you posted you cycled the battery and it made a world of difference..
Can someone point me in the direction of this info...?

Thanks
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPowerRC View Post
We have received several requests asking us to show how our wires exit the case on our cell packs. We put them on the corner edge so that you can position them to be flush on top and side if needed. Several cars have bulk heads and or top plates that may interfere.

That is what I thought was brilliant about this pack...