Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 AM   #46
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TP 40C/5000

Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #47
Tech Fanatic

I have seen the cycle numbers on Humpty's pack. The numbers I saw were kick ass but were not that good. I do recall seeing the following:

105 degree prior to discharge
516 runtime
7.56 voltage
3.6 IR

The new TP pack is very good and on track performance reflected that. The lower IR gave the pack more snap out of the hole but comparing the curve the TP pack holds it's own against some of the industry leaders. I think the lower IR is what really made the difference and it seemed to show on the track as well.

Congrats to TP for their hard work on developing a high end racing Lipo.

PRS - Hyperdrive - EA Motorsports - Corally USA - Parma/Faskolor - SMC - Killer Koncepts - MSA - Finishline - IRS - Lunsford - Trinity - Guarantee Graphix - RC4Less
Tornado_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
Last time you posted the numbers on your 35C packs you didn't seem to impressed so what has changed since then ?

I cycled it how you posted you cycled the battery and it made a world of difference..

If Humpty cycled his pack out and got IR numbers like that........ simply awesome !!!
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:03 AM   #49
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I was VERY interested in TP's packs when I saw them at the iic in Vegas this year. I was wondering when this release was gonna happen.
Talking to folks who come from the heli/airplane side of things and who KNOWS Thunder Power......one thing is for sure, TP wouldn't come out with a pack that's just mediocre.
So strap your boots up fellers, there's looking to be a new sheriff in town

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #50
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Danny SMC... I attach the small leads directly to the leads coming off battery ... I skin the wire and attach small leads directly.. And plug the deans connector together so they are not touching..

Tony that is the other one after a rest for 3 days ... When I got back home ..
These #s are @ 100 degrees... My heat pad sucks and wont get much hotter...

These are true readings and are the best I have seen .. And have a ton of Punch which does create a tire spin problem.. But I will work on that .. Thanks again to Jim Skinner and Thunder Power for the awesome products...
Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #51
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty View Post
Danny SMC... I attach the small leads directly to the leads coming off battery ... I skin the wire and attach small leads directly.. And plug the deans connector together so they are not touching..

Tony that is the other one after a rest for 3 days ... When I got back home ..
These #s are @ 100 degrees... My heat pad sucks and wont get much hotter...

These are true readings and are the best I have seen .. And have a ton of Punch which does create a tire spin problem.. But I will work on that .. Thanks again to Jim Skinner and Thunder Power for the awesome products...
Humpty: Can you please measure the pack for us? We don't know the dimmention of the packs

Also how much do it weigh?
Adis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I was VERY interested in TP's packs when I saw them at the iic in Vegas this year. I was wondering when this release was gonna happen.
Talking to folks who come from the heli/airplane side of things and who KNOWS Thunder Power......one thing is for sure, TP wouldn't come out with a pack that's just mediocre.
So strap your boots up fellers, there's looking to be a new sheriff in town
These cells and packs are completely different then the cells they had at IIC. I bought one of their 30C 5000 packs in Vegas and have been running it ever since. I think it has more rip then my SMC 5000 pack, but not by much. I also paid $60 for the TP pack in Vegas and paid over $130 for my SMC pack.

I find it really interesting to see SMC in a TP thread. It's like having Hudy commenting in a Tamiya thread.

I am pumped to see these new packs and I hope that TP brings their many years of knowledge and experience to the ground racing scene!

When it comes to LIPO and Brushless technology we could all learn a lot from the Heli and plane guys that have been running LIPO for 10+ years.

If you like SMC packs that is fine just express your jubilation in the SMC thread and keep this one focused on the TP products.

I would like to see the TP people providing some more information on these packs. Some specs would be really great!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #53
Tech Initiate

Where are you guys buying your TP5000mah 30C packs from? Are they ROAR legal yet?
Adis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #54
Company Representative

Humpty: Thanks for the info.

Wallstreet: Glad that the way I told you to cycled helped.

Artwork: If you would see info concerning you that is false I think you would like to set it straight and I had some questions which is what these message boards are for. I have not said anything negative about the TP packs and I'm sure they are good packs as it would be stupid to think that were the only ones that have good packs.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #55
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
OK guys.... Put The Kool Aid Down........

Why is everything being questioned all of a sudden ??? Cause one guy who doesnt have a 30+ c rated cell on the market or a device to test c ratings is saying to ????

I have a buddy who races with me alot , also happens to develope lipo battery systems for hybrid and all electric automobiles ... He laughed at the false lipo claim thread, and is probably laughing at the guys questioning the 40c as well... There are far far superior batterys out there that just havent made it to the rc industry yet cause of cost and other reasons.. And when new cells are developed the other cells become cheaper and brought into different industries. So dont let one person tell you to question every product that comes out. Let these companies bring out there products, give us there spec and either by them or dont. Thunder Power knows lipos, they have been around for a while now and not just in rc cars, they have stuff for heli's and planes as well.. I do not own any thunder power products but a few guys at the track i race at have the thunder power charger and say its awesome... So give companys a chance.

My 5200 35c cycled out better than my 5000 28c by a good margin so i fail to see how its being falsely advertised...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
Read closely people, the man makes some good points there.
Good points??? Please make your statement after you do more research on Lithium Polymer-ion battery (Lipo). Someone who does know about the manufacturing of the high rate lithium battery may really laugh at your ignorance of the Lipo facts.

A Hybrid car or a EV car is using a large capacity lithium battery system (range from 30Ah to 500Ah) or the Manganic acid lithium battery. Did you buddy tell you that is a totally different chemistry formulation from the high rate lithium polymer battery? The "far far superior battery" is for large capacity battery for EV cars and it is a restraint for the RC packs due to the battery cell size limitation. Can your buddy tell you why the good lipo manufacturer may able to improve the C rate for a lipo pack from his "professional" Lipo powering knowledge for EV cars? You are simply asking a space shuttle engineer to build a submarine. Or you need me to tell you the correct answer?

I don't have any doubt that the technology for a 40C dischage rate lipo pack is already for the market. It is really possible that this TP pack is powered with ture 40C discharge current (200amp). All TP (and all other Lipo packs sellers) need to do is to show the ture testing data (the discharging curve, the discharging time and the percentage of the retaining discharged capacity) to all the consumers. Noone is telling anyone "to question every product that comes out." The consumers just deserve to know what they are really paying for.

Thunder Power buy cells from Enerland(may be also buying from one other Chinese manufacturer? now), so TP does "know" the Lipo by choosing a good Lipo cell manufacturer(s).

P.S. a Thunder Power charger can't speak out for a Thunder Power lipo pack. So give the consumers a chance to know what they are paying for their lipo packs. Companies win their chance by selling a ture and quality product.
O'Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What happened to my post?
Oh well............

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 11-28-2008 at 11:11 AM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adis View Post
Where are you guys buying your TP5000mah 30C packs from? Are they ROAR legal yet?
Horizon Hobbies carries them so any hobby shop that orders from them can get 'em for you
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #58
Tech Adept

First off, thank you for everyone’s interest. I’m sorry for the delay in posting additional data. Had to do the turkey day thing.

Here are some additional specs:
Model: TP5000-2SPR

Description: 5000mAh 2S 7.4V Pro Race 40C LiPo w/Case

Dimensions: 24mm H x 46.4mm W x 138mm L

Case Type: Hard/Standard

Maximum continuous discharge rate/current: 40C/200 amps

ROAR approved: Yes

MAP/Street price: $124.99

Here also is a graph showing the discharge curves of the 5000mah Pro Race 40C cell (generated using our in-house test equipment…we test and match our cells and assemble all of our packs here in Las Vegas, NV USA). As you can see, the cell delivers more than 90% of the rated capacity when discharged at the 40C rate.

Additional data will be posted next week. Have a good weekend!

ThunderPowerRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSteve93 View Post
Sweet. Doesn't seem to have the bumps on the bottom. Just have to get the chassis adapters for em.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Brain View Post
Good points??? Please make your statement after you do more research on Lithium Polymer-ion battery (Lipo). Someone who does know about the manufacturing of the high rate lithium battery may really laugh at your ignorance of the Lipo facts.

A Hybrid car or a EV car is using a large capacity lithium battery system (range from 30Ah to 500Ah) or the Manganic acid lithium battery. Did you buddy tell you that is a totally different chemistry formulation from the high rate lithium polymer battery? The "far far superior battery" is for large capacity battery for EV cars and it is a restraint for the RC packs due to the battery cell size limitation. Can your buddy tell you why the good lipo manufacturer may able to improve the C rate for a lipo pack from his "professional" Lipo powering knowledge for EV cars? You are simply asking a space shuttle engineer to build a submarine. Or you need me to tell you the correct answer?

I don't have any doubt that the technology for a 40C dischage rate lipo pack is already for the market. It is really possible that this TP pack is powered with ture 40C discharge current (200amp). All TP (and all other Lipo packs sellers) need to do is to show the ture testing data (the discharging curve, the discharging time and the percentage of the retaining discharged capacity) to all the consumers. Noone is telling anyone "to question every product that comes out." The consumers just deserve to know what they are really paying for.

Thunder Power buy cells from Enerland(may be also buying from one other Chinese manufacturer? now), so TP does "know" the Lipo by choosing a good Lipo cell manufacturer(s).

P.S. a Thunder Power charger can't speak out for a Thunder Power lipo pack. So give the consumers a chance to know what they are paying for their lipo packs. Companies win their chance by selling a ture and quality product.
I can guarantee you the engineer wallstreet is talking about knows his stuff.

I also noticed with a simple "find more posts by this user" search, you make an appearance on every thread and question the lipo, or ask if it's as good as an SMC. But you talk up the SMC on other threads.

That is the total of your ten posts here.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote