R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #331
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Cool Bad cell

I purchase a new thunder power 5000 40C lipo pack at the snowbird from superior hobbies. I'm hoping that someone from thunder power can help me? It has one cell that blow up (one of the two and the #2 cell ok) I have not charged the pack or drop it or anything It just started to puff up one day and it real big now. I would hate to loss $120 dollars
flbugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #332
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason/TPRC View Post
"...all of our products carry a 1-year warranty, anyone that experiences an issue of any kind is welcome to visit our web site to fill out the online RMA form and follow the instructions we send in response to return the product to us for review. If found to be defective it any way, it will of course be replaced at no additional cost, as quickly as possible."

Jason
Jason shared [above] the procedure for warranty service.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/rma.html?P...9e2a5c2b5383f3
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #333
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm thinking of buying these packs for the Transam class with a 21.5 brushless. Would it make a difference if I bought 3200, 4000 and 5000 mah 40c packs as far as performance? For some reason I keep thinking the higher the capacity the higher sustained voltage or is that not true?

Right now I run a 5000mah pack and I'm using only 40% percent of its capacity on an eight minute race.
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #334
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been using LiPo in my cars now for about 3 years. Since that time I have been one of the most vocal proponents of LiPo in cars, and have thousands of posts in this very forum not only discussing them, but helping people understand them. It didn't make me many friends, mostly 'cause I'm kind of a jerk, but I feel it was a good fight, and I'm happy to see LiPo acceptance has become commonplace.

I bought my TP packs based solely on the praise they received in this thread, so I feel it's only fair I also share my experiences with them here as well.

I believe it's possible the cells were damaged due to the flimsy case constantly separating, and needing to be "clicked" back together. Regardless, I used this pack just like I've used the SMC, Core and Orion packs before them. I taped them into my sedan, and used weights shoe gooed to the bottom to keep the pack locked into the battery slots. I charge at 1C, never take more than 3aH out of the packs, and have slowly heated them to about 105F a few times, though I no longer use that practice. I also try to store them with no more than 50% charge. I use a Hyperion charger, and always balance during charging.

I posted last night after noticing one of the packs was swelled. I was being a little snarky... it's what I do. I was going to look into the RMA process, but I'm glad I didn't. Upon inspecting the pack tonight, it's apparent that sometime during the last 24 hours, its deterioration continued to the point of melting some of the plastic case. I'm not sure how that would have worked out if I had sent this damaged pack back for inspection. Scary. Use your Liposacks, kids. This is a pack that showed no outward signs of trouble or damage, and did this while sitting quietly in its Liposack during a week off.

Tomorrow I'll give the packs their saltwater bath, and then dispose of them after they've sat for a few days. I'm sad it went down this way, 'cause I really liked how they worked on the track. I doubt I'm eligible for warranty service due to heating, so I won't pursue that route. I suppose this is just a heads up, 'cause if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody. Good luck out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Thunder Power Rc 40C 5000 Lipo-tplipo.jpg  

Last edited by syndr0me; 03-24-2009 at 10:38 PM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #335
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for the clear, detailed post. You're an asset to the forum, snarkiness and all.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 AM   #336
Tech Regular

Yikes - that's an unfortunate outcome, but thanks for sharing. It reminded me that I left 8 Lipo batteries overnight in the trunk of my car and I immediately retrieved for safer storage.

I'm hopeful that the premium price we pay for these TP packs supports world class customer support as well as killer performance. It would be great it you would send yours in and let us know what happens. Cheers
Old 03-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #337
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does anyone know where I can get an balance plug adapter for this battery to use with my Core-RC charger that uses Align style balance plugs? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #338
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Does anyone know where I can get an balance plug adapter for this battery to use with my Core-RC charger that uses Align style balance plugs? Thanks!
I just made one from a plug that came with my charger. It balanced it just perfect.

Here is a picture of what I did. I use the Core R/C charger/balancer.

as for the orange wire , you dont use it.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #339
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone,

As marksp has helped to note, all of our products carry a 1-year warranty against defects. To receive warranty service for any product you are experiencing issues with, please contact us by phone (702-228-8883) and/or visit our web site to fill out the RMA request form in order to obtain an RMA number and return shipping instructions. This will allow your claim to be handled in the quickest and most efficient manner possible.

And for anyone not sure if their battery is covered under warranty for any reason, if it’s safe to ship to us, etc., please still be certain to submit the RMA request. Our product support staff is sometimes able to help determine the failure mode (whether it’s due to defect, mishandling, etc.) by phone/email/viewing detailed photographs, and also to help you determine whether or not the battery is safe to return to us for further inspection.

On related notes…

Hello Scott B,

We’ll be sure to replace the cases on your batteries as soon as you send them in next week, and good luck at the race this weekend!

Hello flbugguy,

Please visit our web site and fill out the RMA request form found via the Support/FAQs link at the top of the page. If your battery is found to be defective in any way it will be replaced under warranty ASAP.

Hello syndr0me,

It’s certainly fair for you to share your experiences with our product here, however, we hope it’s also fair to allow us some opportunity to provide the best possible support by contacting us for a resolution first in the future. Otherwise you may leave many to wonder whether or not we would have provided support for the product you experienced issues with

That said, we will definitely replace your battery under warranty as it appears the failure you experienced was the result of a cell/case defect and not mishandling. Please contact Jim Skinner directly ([email protected]) to arrange for the replacement battery to be sent as soon as more batteries are in stock in the next few weeks (and to discuss any other issues).

Hello again everyone,

For anyone that may be experiencing “edge curling” issues with the ROAR approval “wrap” label on their batteries, our label supplier has informed us (and we’ve also found this to work perfectly) that if you apply a small amount of heat to the label (using a heat gun for example) then press the edges back down, they should not come up/curl again. The edge curling issue is not related to the adhesive used on the back side of the label, but rather occurs because the labels are cut from a flexible vinyl material, and when they’re stretched around the corners and sides of the housing during application, this can cause the edges to curl/pull away in some conditions/environments later on. And for anyone that would like to replace (or add to a battery sold before the label was included) the label on their battery, please contact Jim Skinner directly ([email protected]) so he can have a replacement label sent to you.

We’d also like to thank the many drivers who used and supported our products at the 2009 ROAR Carpet Nats! And congratulations to the following drivers for their TQs and wins at the race using our 5000mAh Pro Race 40C batteries:

Mike Haynes – TQ and 1st place in the Super Stock Touring Rubber class

Eli Ezrow – 1st place in the Stock Touring class

Mike McBride – TQ in the Stock Touring class

And for those interested in our first Pro Race 40C Saddle Pack release, after additional testing of the latest production cells, the updated capacity rating for this battery will now be 5400mAh. Here’s the updated item number and description, and perhaps best of all, the price stays the same as before

TP5400-2SPRS; 5400mAh 2-Cell/2S 7.4V Pro Race 40C LiPo Saddle Pack – MAP/street price; $129.99

Packs will be in stock at various retailers next week, and we look forward to the additional Sport Race 25C and Pro Race 40C Saddle Pack releases planned for the coming months!

And thank you as always to everyone for your continued support!

Jason
Jason/TPRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #340
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post

I just had to buy an adapter for my Hyperion to use my Thunder Power. Its a awkward tab that isn't so popular.

l MOMO USA l OZ Racing l Willwood Brakes | Dunlop Tires |

The Raceway at Beaver: Forever In Blue Jeans
Mark506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #341
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just picked up one of these at my LHS for the slash spec racing. Being an "old school cell cycler" I had my doubts. I can honestly say I will never buy any nimhs ever again. I was doing countless wheelies until I melted the copper brush holder inside the stock motor. I was half tempted to see if i could start my ford truck with this thing but I had done enough damage for one night. Thanks Thunderpower!
Lenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

I just put two of these in series on my brushless sc8. Night and day compared to my other polyrc 4s pack. It turned the truck into an absolute land missile. Did the same for my touring cars - untouchable!

TP also took care of me when I sent in my charger and balancer - thankyou guys
Team El Cajon Hobbies
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #343
Tech Initiate

Hi Jason,

I attended the Roar Carpet Nationals this past weekend. I will like to buy TP610C 1-6Cell Lipo 0.25-10A DC Charger w/Balancer. I did get to talk to some team drivers is the Competition mode available. If I place a order through Thunder Power direct will the charger have the up to date software.

Thank you
Willie.

Eli Ezrow – 1st place in the Stock Touring class good job for a old man!!!
mrbighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #344
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason/TPRC View Post
Hello everyone,

... thank you as always to everyone for your continued support!

Jason
Fantastic product! Brilliant support! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Thunder Power Rc 40C 5000 Lipo-img_7266-medium-web-view.jpg  
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #345
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbighead View Post
Hi Jason,

TP610C 1-6Cell Lipo 0.25-10A DC Charger w/Balancer. I did get to talk to some team drivers is the Competition mode available. If I place a order through Thunder Power direct will the charger have the up to date software.

Thank you
Willie.
Is there any other information about this comp update? Whats it do? Is it downloadable?
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote