R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-08-2003, 10:10 AM   #16
Tech Regular

The CRC 6-Pack uses side springs for tweak like the Carpet Knife and Speedmerchant cars, so it makes the t-bar merely a pivot point and not part of the suspension. Therefore, it holds tweak much better than relying on the t-bar's tweak screws and stress factors. It is still breakable, but so is anything if you hit something hard enough.

John
johnnywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:11 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson

t-plates are still fiberglass (the same stuff they made the oringal rc12's out of), and you will need to replace them as they wear out, or get messed up.

If you want a fun car, the Speedmerchant Rev. 3 does not have a t-bar and thus there is nothing to tweak out or replace, and you do not have to tape in the batteries (i am pretty sure you dont have to either with the quad 12, it has a corrally style hold down). Also you dont have to bother with doing the jump wire between the cells since its all one pack.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:15 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnywhopper
The CRC 6-Pack uses side springs for tweak like the Carpet Knife and Speedmerchant cars, so it makes the t-bar merely a pivot point and not part of the suspension. Therefore, it holds tweak much better than relying on the t-bar's tweak screws and stress factors. It is still breakable, but so is anything if you hit something hard enough.

John
Whopper speaks the truth, but there's still that issue with Battery Tape in a six pack!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:17 AM   #19
Tech Addict

if you get a 12L3 you can loose i the dampener plates and tweak screws in favor of side dampener tubes or two more vcs micro shocks,although i think the tubes are the way to go.much more consistant. i have the tri-shock set up on my full size L3-they are alot of work.my new 12L3 is getting dampener tubes. for what its worth, i have never broken a t-plate on my 10L3, i run it with 6 cells and mod motors-and beleive me i have had some really bad crashes. broke a couple of axles and ripped bumpers and body posts off, but no t-plates. Associated is going to have the most parts availibilty anywhere you go,CRC is very popular as well,and also have good product support. Corally's are few and far between, and when you do find parts they will be very expensive.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:23 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpaton

Lotsa good info here guys. Keep it coming...

It looks like the G3 has been discontinued in favor of the 12M (according to the main Corally site in Holland), altho both are still listed on the Corally USA site. Hrmmm...

The SixPack was on my short list from the start, mainly because of it's rear suspension design (uni-tune...yum). It looks like the t-bar is just another pivot member, rather than being involved in the tuning of the rear suspension, right?

As for battery tape....well..I'm a creative kinda engineer. I bet I can come up with something

-dave

Last edited by dpaton; 10-08-2003 at 02:14 PM.
dpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:24 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

DPATON

among your choices, the SpeedMerchant Roadkill is the only 6-cell 12th car out there that doesn't have a t-bar.

one of our new drivers just got a Corally, he did good with it 1st time out. he gets his parts from StormerHobbies.com and they are farely cheap.

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 10-08-2003 at 10:30 AM.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:13 AM   #22
Tech Regular

After talking with the guys at my LHS, it looks like I'll either be going CRC or Speedmerchant.

So in a no-holds-barred cage match, would the RoadKill 12 pummel the SixPack or would it be the other way around?

Just kidding.

What I'm really looking for is thoughts about how the two cars would perform on a tight carpet course with a couple of lumpy areas which may or may not get fixed in the near future.

-dave
Old 10-09-2003, 10:33 AM   #23
Tech Addict

i dont know about the speedmerchant but a couple of the really fast guys at my track -run the crc six pack some times 4 cell some times 6 cell,either way its glued to the track and wicked fast
Old 10-09-2003, 04:19 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to proguy
Default 1/12, 6 cells, preferrably no t-bar

The Six Pack comes with a graphite T plate and springs for tweak....no fiberglass on that baby.
proguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #25
Tech Regular

I'm still looking at both the SixPack and RoadKill right now. The SixPack has the graphite t-bar, which really means that the springs and dampers do the suspension work, but the RoadKill dispenses with a t-bar completely, making tuning that much easier. But the SixPack has a much more tunable front end.

Decisions, decisions...

-dave
Old 10-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #26
Tech Addict

if you are really down to a choice of two cars-go with the one that has parts availibility. around here everyone runs CRC or ASSOCIATED so i ended up going with the 12L3. i can get parts anywhere. but it may be a regional thing,maybe alot of people run Speed merchant near you, i dont know. but product support is a good thing to look into for any type of purchase,not just r/c. good look choosing,hope you have fun with whatever you get
Old 10-09-2003, 07:54 PM   #27
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to stormperson

Six pack: the graphite t-plate that it comes with needs to be replaced with a stantard AE fibeglass t-plate, also the guys who run that car, run it with the t-plate doing the work, they do not run sidepsrings, however they do run tubes.

there are only a few parts that are specific to either a speedmerchant, or CRC, and they are pretty much only the chassis, everything else is interchangable. as far as the fronts ends, I have both and change them depending on track conditions. A new style front end is $40 complete and an old style is $20, no big deal.

I would really suggest against running 6 cells to begin with unless thats all they race where you are at (and that does not seem to be the case) a 4-cell car with a mod motor is much easier on every part and everything will last longer (espically tires) than a 6 cell stock car. and 4 cell mod is pretty fast.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:14 AM   #28
Tech Addict

my 1/10 pan car i run with six cells and it can be difficult to drive, i cant imagine a 1/12 with 6 cells and a mod motor-it would probably be too fast,if there is such a thing!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Dave, if your looking to race 1/12th ,you need to run 4 cell's.
Check out the new Trinity Reflex12 @ www.teamtrinity.com. This is going to be the car to have!
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #30
Tech Master

Thanks mr postman.

I just recieved my New Corally.
SP12M with tubes!

Like I said, most important is the parts supply.
Over here C is no prob!

Dave with all answers are you gathing nearer or further away from a choice! LOL
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote