R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Rubber Tire Prep (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/255778-rubber-tire-prep.html)

chicagokenji 11-25-2008 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by nitrobeast (Post 5093437)
I would like to know this too. Im new to electric racing and seen guys use tire warmers outside but not sure if they do it indoors on carpet too?

If you are new to racing find the guys who are your track's veteran racers and ask them for their opinion for your vehicle.

rezenclowd3 11-25-2008 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by nitrobeast (Post 5093437)
I would like to know this too. Im new to electric racing and seen guys use tire warmers outside but not sure if they do it indoors on carpet too?

I answered this above.

chicagokenji 11-25-2008 07:27 PM

How many people at your carpet track use your method?

mok 11-25-2008 07:43 PM

Traction compounds are for girls :ha::p
Tyre warmers on the other hand are perfectly fine :nod:

In fact, I'd go as far to say that warmers are invaluable for rubber tyre racing on carpet where the track doesnt get much of a chance to warm up. Outdoors on asphalt its not so much of an issue as the track tends to warm up and the tyres get heat from that, but I still use them.

As for tyre prep..

I spray a light coating of WD40 on a cloth and using the moisture wipe off any excess dust, rubber particles or carpet fibres etc. This is usually done at the same time I am prepping my car for the upcoming race day. Some people use it to get extra traction by spraying directly onto the tyre whilst at the track, I do not do this.

Another good item is glycerol. It helps to replace some of the natural oils in rubber. This is very good for reconditioning old dry tyres that havent been stored properly. Just smear it on and leave it for a couple hours. Make sure all excess is wiped off. Again, this is a tyre conditioning treatment, not for traction.

Wintergreen oil (fairly common in traction compounds) is what some would use to prep their tyres. It conditions the rubber and also makes the rubber sticky, hence why it gives extra traction.

-Mark

Ps. There's also nothing wrong with good old detergent and warm water for cleaning tyres!!

rezenclowd3 11-25-2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by chicagokenji (Post 5093807)
How many people at your carpet track use your method?

I do not race on carpet. However, at the track I do race at, its rare that two people use the same method. Using Tuff towels to clean the tires is the most popular however, it does have the side effect of making the tires VERY sticky, however its a sticky that picks up dust and debris, more so than the Trinity Tire Tweak method I use.

bigz 11-25-2008 08:19 PM

i use simple green to clean the tires then wipe them off. they sure make the tires sticky, then apply your favorite tire sauce. :)

trickd122 11-25-2008 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 (Post 5093919)
I do not race on carpet. However, at the track I do race at, its rare that two people use the same method. Using Tuff towels to clean the tires is the most popular however, it does have the side effect of making the tires VERY sticky, however its a sticky that picks up dust and debris, more so than the Trinity Tire Tweak method I use.

Tuff towels whats that?