R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
I too have been a proponent of NO time increases because of length of day. But, in todays technology of better scoring equipment and bigger drivers stands (and tracks) facilities can handle more in a heat, allowing for longer events. Efficient programs are necessary.... no five to six minutes between heats.

150 entrys at 10 in a heat is an increase of 15 minutes per round, three rounds in the day, 45 minute increase on racing.

I thought the idea was MORE track time for your entry fee? Or, is it how soon can we get out of here?
I am not saying I don't like the extra minute! It just isn't practical for our local track, but would LOVE to attend a big event with the longer times since the racing is spread over the whole weekend. We have 20 heats which would add 20 minutes per round and with 3 rounds of qualifying and the mains that is almost an hour and a half...and starting at 10 a.m. we finish just shy of midnight as it is
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Wow. Thats too long for a day...10am to Midnight! I wouldn't do that. How long between rounds for you guys?
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #63
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at crcrc in columbus we run 6 minute quals and 7 minute mains and i can make 4 warm up laps and 19 laps in main and still have battery with my 3800 nimh. last midwest winter champs i believe we ran 6 minute mains and quals with no complaints. thank dawn.
kstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #64
Tech Elite

I would wager he is talking about one of the racing series up there.
Anyone else would split it into two days.. any half dozen ways to do it.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #65
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

RC Racing Xtreme that puts on the Bass Pro Shop Series in Jackson, MS ran 7 minute heats and mains all year this year, without any problem. It was a 13.5BL / 27T class. No problems, so much so that next year the class is going up to 8 minute heats and mains!.... .... The Daphne/Mobile, AL HobbyTown track, Mobile RC Racing, went to the BIG CHILL race that was put on last month there and liked it so much that they now are going to run the same time .....
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #66
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
Will this make it more important to get larger capacity (5000+) packs? Is it the final nail in the coffin for NiMH?
No not at all. My local track use to run six min quals and mains with 3000, 3300 NIMH packs with 19T and 27T motors. We stopped because we found we were going thru coms, brushes and tires alot faster.

TC6, Top Photon, B4.1, SC10 FT, Orion Motors and Servos, Tekin RS
AeRacer805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

we run 8 min for 23t stock in our place before with 4600mah NIMH cell....

now we want to run 11.5r BL motor for 8 minutes with 3800mah lipo....as what we tested, 3800mah lipo can play until 11minutes....we running on high speed track...
Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Another thing to consider in all this is that if you're track gets 150 plus entries at a club race (a very rare problem for most tracks) then it's time for the track organizers to consider splitting the program to multiple days. If mod is the biggest class on the current day then make it mod only day and have stock and 19t (or whatever) on another day. This will shorten the day of racing by limiting the classes offered, allow for the longer racers and potentially increase overall weekly entries as guys could do both days more easily.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Wow. Thats too long for a day...10am to Midnight! I wouldn't do that. How long between rounds for you guys?
Its about a 3 hour round plus ~15 mins to sweep and water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I would wager he is talking about one of the racing series up there.
Anyone else would split it into two days.. any half dozen ways to do it.
This is not a series race but a regular indoor club race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Another thing to consider in all this is that if you're track gets 150 plus entries at a club race (a very rare problem for most tracks) then it's time for the track organizers to consider splitting the program to multiple days. If mod is the biggest class on the current day then make it mod only day and have stock and 19t (or whatever) on another day. This will shorten the day of racing by limiting the classes offered, allow for the longer racers and potentially increase overall weekly entries as guys could do both days more easily.
That has been considered, but a lot of people run stock and mod with the same vehicle (plenty of time to change motor) or stock buggy and mod truck and splitting it would mean they would have to race both days which isn't an option for most.

I didn't mean to invade with my local track Carry on
Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
True, the new classes do not have their own nationals designated as of yet.
Might not be a bad time to split rubber and foam up, VTA and Rubber T/C, with maybe another motor type alloted to Rubber T/C.
Put World GT in place of Rubber T/C at the Nationals.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Might not be a bad time to split rubber and foam up, VTA and Rubber T/C, with maybe another motor type alloted to Rubber T/C.
Put World GT in place of Rubber T/C at the Nationals.
Might just be time.... My experience has shown me though not too many changes at once. I haven't even told them the rest of the stuff coming in 2009...
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Good move on ROAR's part!

Dawn, could you give us info on the:
Rule 5.2.8 two classes/two vehicle ruling.

Was it because of Brent's long, 5 min, switch time from J82 to Stock Truck at the Nats?

Fred
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Dawn

what do you think about dropping the min. weight for tc to 1400g or 1450g for durability purposes
Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Its about a 3 hour round plus ~15 mins to sweep and water
If I have followed your post, you indicated 3 Hours for a 20 Heat Round?

20 Heats x 5 min... 1:40
Between Heats..... 1:20
Total Round Time... 3:00

That leaves more than an hour between Heats.

Shorten the down time between heats by 1 or 2 minutes
No Grace Periods during the heats
Pre Stage the preceding Heat
Get tough on not turn marshalling

and you'll have more race time for the drivers in the same amount of program time.
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post
If I have followed your post, you indicated 3 Hours for a 20 Heat Round?

20 Heats x 5 min... 1:40
Between Heats..... 1:20
Total Round Time... 3:00

That leaves more than an hour between Heats.

Shorten the down time between heats by 1 or 2 minutes
No Grace Periods during the heats
Pre Stage the preceding Heat
Get tough on not turn marshalling

and you'll have more race time for the drivers in the same amount of program time.
First off the races are never 5 mins on a decent sized offroad track. With onroad, lap times are in the mid to low teens indoors, but with ifmar qualifying the races are are closer to 6 minutes (last car starts 20 seconds after the others and then has a 12-5:26 for a total of 5:46. Also, its 20 heats minimum. Plus consider the 2 full novices heats that have times literally 6 minutes if they squeak in that extra lap

it usually beaks down like this:
20 to 24 heats @ 5:45 min heats w/ a strict 2 minutes between. Racing doesn't start right at ten. More like 10:30 and there isn't any way to start earlier. They are literally putting in names from before 8 am till the racing starts. Starting with 22 heats brings us to 2 hours of racing and 40 mins between those races. There is a quick (5 minute) sweep midway though the round to bring traction back for the mod classes plus a thorough (10 minute) sweep and water at the end of each round which brings us to 2 hours and 55 minutes. Basically 3 hours. 4 rounds becomes 12 hours and something is bound to go wrong in that amount of time. If everything goes like clockwork we could be done at 10:30 at night, but we are usually done between 11 and 11:30

I am far from complaining though...This "all day" event is the best way I could think to spend 24 hours of my life. Sleeping and racing