R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default 13.5..185 degrees..toast??

As the title says,slight mistake in gearing resulted in a temp of 185 at the endbell.This is a trinity duo 13.5.Smells a bit but,ran the main with no problem.After regearing of course.Any opinions on whether the motor is junk or not? This is my first 13.5,new to brushless also.Thanks,Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

you answered your own question. it ran fine with no problems
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dennyboy424

Was it fast?
dennyboy424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

lol i told u gear down more

one it shud b fine but 2 ,many times and its toast

i did that 2 mine twice at altoona and now it drops of in the last minet no matter what temp its at so i screwed it but it was 3 years old
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Tech Addict

The can is probably just fine. The problem with temps like that is that they weaken the magnetic strength of the rotor. What you may find is that going forward, with the same gearing that worked for you before, the motor now comes off hotter. If you find yourself gearing down constantly, and not seeing a drop in motor temps, then the rotor is probably done. The motors become less efficient with a weaker rotor (which will be fast to start and then fade hard and hot by the end of the race), and will run hot no matter what you do.

Unfortunately, unlike every other motor manufacturer, Trinity doesn't appear to be selling the replacement rotors for these motors. So, instead of spending $20 and having your motor run like new, you have to buy a whole new motor and hope you don't make the gearing mistake again. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I can't find any signs that these rotors are available separately (the ones on Trinity's site appear to be for the older style DUO with the fan), and one of the resellers has stated that they're no longer available.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I wouldn't be too afraid of the 180*. To be honest most running the DUOs look for prime temps about 165-175* for max power. I know I ran mine all season at 175+ and had no issues......

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can he Zap the existing rotor? Or Trinity hmmmmm isnt that a Fegaio rotor? Possibly a Speed Passion rotor would work? Orion?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

185 isn't really bad its almost on the limit. I know I have thermalled my speedpassion 13.5 a couple times (esc thermal is set to 200degrees for more than 5sec) and the motor hasn't really slowed at all so far

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #9
Tech Master

Default ..........

Thanks all.So,it should be OK based on the temp.It did seem to run fine in the main with no fade towrds the end..6 minutes.My main concern was the burnt smell which seemed to still be there couple hours later.Shouldn't worry about that either?Seemed fast..all are new to these so...Mario.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
Thanks all.So,it should be OK based on the temp.It did seem to run fine in the main with no fade towrds the end..6 minutes.My main concern was the burnt smell which seemed to still be there couple hours later.Shouldn't worry about that either?Seemed fast..all are new to these so...Mario.
The burnt smell could be the insulation on the windings in the stator, though that usually only seems to happen if they get over 210+. Keep an eye on it, though. If you feel it slow down noticeably, pull it right away, otherwise you risk damaging your ESC. How longer after you ran it did you pull that 185 temp? Where on the motor did you measure it?

The Feigao rotors from other motors (like Speed Passion) do appear to work in the Trinity motors, though you may need to use some shims depending on the version of the Feigao rotor.
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
I wouldn't be too afraid of the 180*. To be honest most running the DUOs look for prime temps about 165-175* for max power. I know I ran mine all season at 175+ and had no issues......
Good to hear that. So if I run at 150-160 (after 5-6min), it should serve me for a very long time?
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Should.. But can never asume.. I can say I ran a Duo motor, I ran in our out outdoor series 7 shows + pactice and some club events..ALL aboue 170* and at times 200* and motor still pulls strong..But best and safe temps are found in 160* range...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A marshal mistakenly pulled the sensor cable out when reconnecting a battery on my son's car. The motor ran up to 200 and thermaled. I let it cool and its fine now. Still smells funny no matter what and will as long as the burned insulation is there though. The smell has decreased a lot over time, but for the first couple times it heated back up to operating temps I thought it was going to grenade from the stench. I still haven't seen temps over 160 geared right for our track and no loss of performance.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
Tech Master

Thanks all.I'm still using the motor and it seems fine.....so...the stench has decreased also.M
Old 12-19-2008, 07:26 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Do those after-market heatsink with small fan help to bring down the temps?
Or just waste of time and power?

Last edited by stocker; 12-19-2008 at 07:58 AM.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote