R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Shaft vs. Belt again

Hi guys, i've been out of the hobby for about a year and want to get back in. My question is, which type of car do you guys prefer, belt or shaft? Shaft seems to be all the rage right now, but are the belts still competitive?
For belt driven cars, i am considering:
TRF414M2
X-Ray T1 evo2

shaft:
Barracuda R2
TB Evo3
SD

Which care is best for a largish, asphalt track for stock? i would like the best handling, acceleration, and durability. Durabiltiy is probably my main concern, then handling and speed/acceleration.
I had a Yok mr-4tc we. It handled well, but got killed on the straights, and parts were not too durable imo.

Last edited by was ist los?; 10-06-2003 at 11:31 PM.
was ist los? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #2
Tech Regular

well at my track the xrays and tc3's are winning. there is also some evos and SD's.

i have an xray and i dont think there is anything in it with shafts accelating faster than belts i think it just comes from batteries and motor.and just tune ya car to get it to handle better with springs and different stuff.

the track i race on is large and asphalt

hope it helps, Matt
Matt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:35 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I'm racing on tight technically carpet tracks, rubber tires and stock class.

I'm running a Pro2 and acceleration vise, it performs like the shaft cars at our track (TC3, Evo3 and Yok SD).

I think it's more about feel, and to some extend, handling due to different motor rotating direction.

But I mis the easy diff access, like on the Yok SD.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:19 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Out of the choices you mentioned, I would go with either:

For Belt: Xray
For Shaft: SD

Both of these cars will be competitive for you. As the others have said, it will come down to how each feels to you.

Buddha
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:37 AM   #5
Tech Adept

people say shaft has less slop, and is freer, but my tc3 and all the other shaft cars i'v handled have been a lot more sloppier than the Xray car. shafts wear out the outdrives real quick and if you know how to deal wiht belt drives than the Xray is the best car. SD if you want less belts to deal with. the X ray would be my choice and i only race shaft right now.

in conclusion: XRAY! go for the nicest car!
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:07 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The 414 is one of the most durable cars out there. In a year of racing, I have only replaced one arm.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would recommend the tc3, as its a proven race car with many option parts. With a full width front bumper its fairly durable and is fast out of the box no matter which version (racer, team, factory team) you choose. Its a widly used car therefore many people will be able to offer you help and guidence, and most hobby shops should stock upgrades and spares.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Berger definately got a point about parts avability.

However, I tend to disagree about the TC3, but that's due to the ones I've seen, was fragile, and not lest, due to my personal preference.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:15 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Buy one of each. I have a xxx-s g+ and a Yok SD - best of both worlds. I'll probably be selling the xxx-s though...
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #10
Tech Adept

I've TQ'd and won the stock TC A Main the past two race weekends. We run on a technical carpet track. I lapped some of the TC3 cars three times or more. The only guy that gave me a serious run for my money was driving a Losi XXX-S (another belt driven car). There is absolutely nothing magical about a shaft drive. I used to drive a TC3, and I have gotten faster since I switched to an XRay. I spent a tremendous amount of time on my TC3 trying to get the drivetrain as free as possible. My TC3 needed a lot of fine sanding, minor exacto cuts, and even some dremel work to get the drivetrain to free up. All I had to do to my XRay to get the drivetrain free rolling was add the low ratio pullies.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:30 PM   #11
Tech Adept

BTW, I currently own two XRay cars. I run an XRay EVO2 in mod class and a XRay T1R in stock class. The EVO2 is a little easier to work on, because everything is threaded into metal. The T1R takes a bit longer, because many of the screws thread into plastic. I run low ratio pullies on both cars. I also installed the aluminum shock bodies on both cars, because they feel a bit smoother than the plastic bodies. I honestly wish I had bought two T1R cars instead of spending the extra money on the EVO2. There is no on track performance advantage to the EVO2 when compared to the T1R. If you are in the market for a new car, consider the T1R.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:40 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiloh
BTW, I currently own two XRay cars. I run an XRay EVO2 in mod class and a XRay T1R in stock class. The EVO2 is a little easier to work on, because everything is threaded into metal. The T1R takes a bit longer, because many of the screws thread into plastic. I run low ratio pullies on both cars. I also installed the aluminum shock bodies on both cars, because they feel a bit smoother than the plastic bodies. I honestly wish I had bought two T1R cars instead of spending the extra money on the EVO2. There is no on track performance advantage to the EVO2 when compared to the T1R. If you are in the market for a new car, consider the T1R.
Yah but the Evo 2 looks so much cooler.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Hrm... i am looking into a T1R, so is i just an evo2 minus a few options like no hard anodizing and no c/f? Do arms break easily?
Any opinions on the Barracuda? I don't really want to read 1000s of posts.
I also don't like the TC3 (cousin has one).
Do yokomo arms break easily?
was ist los? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 05:03 PM   #14
Tech Adept

COLE TRICKLE you have PM

Jim Crider
JIMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to melvin
Default Bumper

Hi,

You mentioned full width bumper. Can you tell me what made is this bumper and where I could purchase it?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally posted by berger
I would recommend the tc3, as its a proven race car with many option parts. With a full width front bumper its fairly durable and is fast out of the box no matter which version (racer, team, factory team) you choose. Its a widly used car therefore many people will be able to offer you help and guidence, and most hobby shops should stock upgrades and spares.
melvin is offline   Reply With Quote