R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Batteries

Hi ALL

There are many makers of sub-c batteries out there (Intellect, Orion, East Power, Ener-G and many more). Which of these would you recommend for racing? And also how do you mantain them before, during and after a race event. Lets say in an race event where i had to run 6times but only have 3packs.

I also read somewhere before that it is important to store charge if I intend put aside my packs for some time. I tried to store charge in batteries that I would like keep aside. However, the next time i want to use and discharge them, there's no juice left in it. Is this normal? Is this the right method? What should I do?

Thanks Alot in advance!!!

Regards
iPod.Tycoon
ipod.tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Well for starters if you only had 3 batteries for 6 race events you would want to give as much time between runs on the pack as possible. So run your first pack in race 1 and then later in race 4 but make sure you discharge it completely after the first race and then charge it back up for race 4 but try not to let it sit for any longer than like five minutes before you run the pack again. It is really a lot easier to have as many batteries as you have race events. I don't know if any of this is going to make sense but it is really easier just to run lipo because its cheaper to buy one lipo than a bunch of sub c batteries and you don't have to worry so much about taking care of it. Also, it is normal to store your batteries and then go to run them a long time later only to discover that they are dead. If you do still chose to run nimh sub c than intellect makes some pretty good cells.

Hope this helps.
track-attack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trak-Attatck is correct. If you can, try to get as many packs as you have races, it makes life much easier! The funny thing is though, I KNEW straight away that someone would come on and say 'get LiPo'! I've got 6 x packs of IB4200's, that have served me well, but I have looked after them. Get yourselve one of the many dischargers out there that discharge each cell individually, down to 0.9v. All's I do is leave around 10 minutes of charge time (@6amp) in each pack. Before I use them at a meeting, put them on the discharger until all the lights go out and then stick them on charge, again @6amp. After the race, put the used pack back into the box until I get home. Once home, put 10 minutes of charge back into them and that's it until the next race. I am actually on the 2nd season of use with my packs and I have been lucky, I guess, as not too many problems with the packs at all. Feel free to ask any questions mate, hope that helps, Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You need a good equalizer that has a cutoff of around .9v per cell. Before each charge it's best to flatten the pack with a high-amp discharger (or your car) and then place it on the equalizer. A few equalizers do the high-amp discharge as well, but not many...

I use an Integy Reactor-20 to quickly flatten a pack at 20amps. It has a 5.4v cuttoff so it doesn't over-discharge the cells. Then I place the pack in a Trinity D-90 to equalzie each cell to 0.9v at 2amps. If your cells are rather imbalanced, this step can take a while as it slowly drains the stronger cells down to cuttoff. But this unit is nice as each individual chanel is completely shut down after the cuttoff is reached (cells then rebound to 1.2v), so no worries about leaving the pack in. It's a little finicky though as the pack can only be inserted one way to get it to turn on (and sometimes it takes a couple tries )

There are other more expensive units that do both fast discharging and equalizing, but each one has it's own quirks. I paid about $25 total for the Reactor-20 and two D-90's (used)....

BTW: Modern cells can drop to zero volts and die if stored without a charge. I check my IB4600 cells with a volt meter once a week and charge them 50% if any cell drops below 1.2v. I usually need to charge them once in a two week period. IB cells are the worst for this from what I hear...

Most popular brands I see are IB, EP and Ener-G
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Hi guys

Thank you all for your fast response. I race the Tamiya qualifying series, hence no Lipo's allowed for that event. I tray my pack before charging with Novak Smart Tray SE. But the major problem I face is that when i store the cells with charge, the cells drain too fast and the next time I want to use it, there's nothing left in it. From what I know, this is bad as it would hurt the cell at low voltage. How do I rectify this problem? Discharge and Add more charge in? Woudln't tat be reducing the amount of cycles left in the cell?

Lipo is a really good idea. I intend to get for my practice use and this 3packs solely for my races.

Regards
iPod.tycoon
ipod.tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod.tycoon View Post
Hi guys

Thank you all for your fast response. I race the Tamiya qualifying series, hence no Lipo's allowed for that event. I tray my pack before charging with Novak Smart Tray SE. But the major problem I face is that when i store the cells with charge, the cells drain too fast and the next time I want to use it, there's nothing left in it. From what I know, this is bad as it would hurt the cell at low voltage. How do I rectify this problem? Discharge and Add more charge in? Woudln't tat be reducing the amount of cycles left in the cell?

Lipo is a really good idea. I intend to get for my practice use and this 3packs solely for my races.

Regards
iPod.tycoon
How often do you use your packs and how much of a charge are you putting back into them for storage?

2017 Canadian National Champion//2016 ROAR National Champion//2016 Canadian National Champion//2012 ROAR National Champion//Region 5 Champion//2011 Cleveland Indoor Champions
Gavin Creado is offline   Reply With Quote