Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WesRaven
Hey guys, mainly just wanted to introduce myself, and thank everyone that has contributed to such a great thread. I just finished reading the whole thing, trying to fill my time while I wait for my new A700L2 to get shipped, and there's definitely a ton of great info here.

.... If anyone has any tips or advice they would like to give an old-timer (stuff they wish they knew before attempting their first Awesomatix build) I would love to hear anything you wish to share.

Anyway, can't wait for this masterpiece of a touring car to show up, and start getting back into the fun with you all

-Wes
Highly recommend having a setup station ( Hudy works well ) and caster doodles from Awesomatix USA. This makes setting caster + camber + toe simultaniousky a breeze.
Setting your ride height screws before assembly to exactly the same height helps keep the car from being tweaked. I always set the screw *tip* flush to the *bottom* of P09. Then maintain the same number of turns ( usually 1.5 to 2 turns total for TC tires ) equally on all four corners to keep from tweaking the car. Slight adjustment from here to get tweak perfect and desired front and rear ride height or rake, but it's a good starting point.

Also I always make sure spr01(s) spring tips are bent exactly the same by stacking them together and eyeballing the gaps , if needed I bend them a small amount so they all match.
Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 02-24-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added some...
Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Jake, I really appreciate those tips. Good stuff.

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Highly recommend having a setup station ( Hudy works well ) and caster doodles from Awesomatix USA. This makes setting caster + camber + toe simultaniousky a breeze.
A buddy of mine let me use his setup station for my TC3 (Yeah, still running the old trooper while I wait for my new ride). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a brand on it. I attached a couple pics. Do you think this will work with the Awesomatix and their caster doodles? Or should I invest in a Hudy set?

Also, I'm trying to prepare with spare parts. Here is what I'm currently ordering based on the spare parts list I found on their site:

A700-P01 Open Ball Joints X4
A700-P02 Closed Ball Joints X4
A700-P03 Arm Ball Cap x5
A700-P04 Arm Hasp x4
A700-P05 Sway Bar Joint x4
A700-P07 Arm Clip x10
A700-ST16 U-Joint Cross x2
A700-P16 Lock Ring x6
A700-B106RS MR106RS Bearing x2

The main thing I know I'm missing are a set of extra arms, but unfortunately they were out of stock when I made my order a couple weeks ago. Are there any other parts I should have on hand? I'm a pretty clean driver, but damage happens, and I have no idea what to expect as far as common breakage goes on this car. I have only seen one other guy at my local track running an Awesomatix, so I won't be able to depend on other racers too much for spares.

-Wes
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-setupstation1.jpg   Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-setupstation2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 09:15 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Thanks Jake, I really appreciate those tips. Good stuff.

A buddy of mine let me use his setup station for my TC3 (Yeah, still running the old trooper while I wait for my new ride). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a brand on it. I attached a couple pics. Do you think this will work with the Awesomatix and their caster doodles? Or should I invest in a Hudy set?

Also, I'm trying to prepare with spare parts. Here is what I'm currently ordering based on the spare parts list I found on their site:

A700-P03 Arm Ball Cap x5
A700-P04 Arm Hasp x4
A700-P07 Arm Clip x10
A700-P16 Lock Ring x6

The main thing I know I'm missing are a set of extra arms, but unfortunately they were out of stock when I made my order a couple weeks ago. Are there any other parts I should have on hand? I'm a pretty clean driver, but damage happens, and I have no idea what to expect as far as common breakage goes on this car. I have only seen one other guy at my local track running an Awesomatix, so I won't be able to depend on other racers too much for spares.

-Wes
Hi Wes
the caster doodles is design for hudy set up
Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Do you think this will work with the Awesomatix and their caster doodles? Or should I invest in a Hudy set?

....Also, I'm trying to prepare with spare parts. Here is what I'm currently ordering based on the spare parts list I found on their site:

A700-P03 Arm Ball Cap x5
A700-P04 Arm Hasp x4
A700-P07 Arm Clip x10
A700-P16 Lock Ring x6

...I have only seen one other guy at my local track running an Awesomatix, so I won't be able to depend on other racers too much for spares.

-Wes
Although they don't bend or break, ST05 can get lost in a big crash. It sounds like you are probably a trailblazer in your area so I'd want a spare ST05 around so you won't have to hunt for it. I've lost one or two over the years I've owned the awesomatix.
Not sure about the setup station you have. Give it a try, it might work ok, just maybe not optimally!?

Jake D.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have been running the cars for about a year now. Mostly on large pavement tracks in stock and mod. I have only broken a few(read 2 or 3) plastic parts. For plastics I would get one pack of p01, p02, p04 (I have pulled the ball out of these), p05 (lost a few of these) and p09.

I have bent 2 c04's with really hard hits. I have been able to fix them with Dawson's stove recipe.

I have had no issues with the driveshafts breaking, however I run p20 on all of my cars. If you lose a spr07 (jesus clip) you will lose the st10 and st11 so those are necessary in my eyes.

If the dampers are not set up correctly you will bend spr02's. They can be bent back once or twice out of despiration.

For upgrades, if you plan on running am19 in the rear and short front links, you will need shorter camber links. 1" 1/8 lunsford is what most people run.

Casterdoodles are a must, I do not know if they will fit that system.

When building the car, no amount of pre-reading the manual helped me. It took me 12-14 hours to get my first rolling chassis together. Just take your time since it builds like nothing you have ever assembled before.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Although they don't bend or break, ST05 can get lost in a big crash. It sounds like you are probably a trailblazer in your area so I'd want a spare ST05 around so you won't have to hunt for it. I've lost one or two over the years I've owned the awesomatix.
Not sure about the setup station you have. Give it a try, it might work ok, just maybe not optimally!?

Jake D.
Jake
I have the same set up..you have to modify it to make it to work...
Old 02-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kartermdb
I have had no issues with the driveshafts breaking, however I run p20 on all of my cars.
Mind elaborating on this one for an Awesomatix newbie? Do the p20 rings help keep driveshafts from breaking somehow?

Originally Posted by kartermdb
For upgrades, if you plan on running am19 in the rear and short front links, you will need shorter camber links. 1" 1/8 lunsford is what most people run.
It looks like the AM19 is out of stock on the new site. Does this mean I will be limited to running the longer links with the parts included in the kit? I don't see this as a problem as I get a feel for the car, but I was considering getting short Lunsford links for more tuning options, so I'm glad you pointed this out. Is there anything else I will need to run short links?

Oh yeah, I need to pick up some spurs and pinions. I'm going to be running 17.5 blinky TC on a relatively big outdoor asphalt track. I know I will need to dial it in with my temp gun, but anyone mind giving a good starting point for a final drive ratio?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Mind elaborating on this one for an Awesomatix newbie? Do the p20 rings help keep driveshafts from breaking somehow?

It looks like the AM19 is out of stock on the new site. Does this mean I will be limited to running the longer links with the parts included in the kit? I don't see this as a problem as I get a feel for the car, but I was considering getting short Lunsford links for more tuning options, so I'm glad you pointed this out. Is there anything else I will need to run short links?

Oh yeah, I need to pick up some spurs and pinions. I'm going to be running 17.5 blinky TC on a relatively big outdoor asphalt track. I know I will need to dial it in with my temp gun, but anyone mind giving a good starting point for a final drive ratio?
3,5 -3,9 fdr 80t- 82t SPUR GEAR
Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

P20 is a plastic sleeve that goes over ST17. It is supposed to keep ST17 from opening if you hit something on power with a front tire.

Yes am19 being out of stock means you are running a longer rear link. It should just help with rear side bite. It is easier if you built the short links as their own "wing" with p01, p02 and p13-4. That just allows you to preset and change quickly at the track, but its not a necessity.

I run D4's and outdoor I run a 75 or 76 spur. I have geared as low as 3.2 on a 160 ft straight. I would ask around your local track and see what guys are running and start close to there.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-64pitch-gear-chart-a700-evo.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

You guys are awesome. I have to admit I was a bit timid going with the Awesomatix at first because of lack of support at the track. I was deciding between it, the Xray T4, and of course a TC6.2 since I've been an Associated fanboy for so long. But you guys have put my concerns to rest. Thanks so much for the info.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:57 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If the caster doodles don't work you can put a ball stud in to replace the button head screw on the outer most part of the blocks( same place a caster doodle bolts) and put a 2mm wrench in so you can visually see caster on the setup blocks. This has a little slop but will get you way closer then a calibrated eyeball.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

while a lot of people talk about the Hudy setup station, i'd really recommend the Speed Mind setup station. it has 1 degree marks for both camber and caster, where the hudy only has a mark every 2 degrees.

needless to say, Caster Doodles also work w/ the Speed Mind setup station.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

That setup station looks like the integy purple setup station, which the caster doodles also work with
Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

doodles work with G force perfectly also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.