Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Old 07-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Any video? How hot did the track get?
Haha We are not nearly that high tech in the mid west for video. It was a humid day that's all I know. In 17.5 on a car i never change or do anything to it was .3 a lap slower in the main. If I had to guess it was over 120 pretty easily.

There is tons of video of the track on youtube but none that I know of for this race.

Monti
Old 07-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monti
Yes Andrew decided to not tighten his pinion. I feel I was a third place car but got a little lucky.

Thanks !

I have attached my set up for mod. This has been the best and most consistant the car has been all year. My main issue was that the car would get tighter than I liked and it was easier to over drive the car that way. Moving the battery back helped but taking out the rear angle in the lower arm seemed to help the most. I think I lost a little grip when the sun came out for a long period by the main by doing this.

In 17.5 I ran the Hanulec/Fairtrance set up 100%.

Monti
Congrats! Any video? How hot did the track get?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

"Moving the battery back helped but taking out the rear angle in the lower arm seemed to help the most."??

reducing the camber gain?

i see you tried my shock settings in mod (or came up with them yourself). i think they are pretty close for mere mortals in mod...
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great job Monti. Was this a control tire race? Your setup sheet mentions Jaco Orange? I figured it would be a Gravity only tire race.

Your setup looks pretty solid. I am a bit surprised at your rear gear diff choice 800 seems really light for Mod. Have you tired heavier and like the lighter better? Your running +4 deg in rear caster is this shorter or longer wheelbase?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
"Moving the battery back helped but taking out the rear angle in the lower arm seemed to help the most."??

reducing the camber gain?

i see you tried my shock settings in mod (or came up with them yourself). i think they are pretty close for mere mortals in mod...
I started with a different shock set up but the car was just to tight after rd1, so I copied your shock set up between rounds it felt good and stuck with it.

When you angle the lower a arm back its called "pro squat"? (I don't know all the fancy terms) I took that out and effectively raised the rear roll center. The car didn't get tight but I think the heat of the day started playing a roll on the set up and it was spinning the tires a bit.

Very happy over all, the shock set up was huge and your are right, its made for us guys who are the ham and eggers of the rc world.

Monti
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Wheelbase is long for sure..
Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Your running +4 deg in rear caster is this shorter or longer wheelbase?
Always seems to be my question

It would be nice to normalize that anything shorter than 0 is (-) and anything longer than 0 is (+). or visa versa
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Great job Monti. Was this a control tire race? Your setup sheet mentions Jaco Orange? I figured it would be a Gravity only tire race.

Your setup looks pretty solid. I am a bit surprised at your rear gear diff choice 800 seems really light for Mod. Have you tired heavier and like the lighter better? Your running +4 deg in rear caster is this shorter or longer wheelbase?
It was an open tire race, since I know a guy at Jaco I ran those. There was a decent mix of Gravity A tires and sorex 36 with yellow inserts at the race.

+4 = longer, this was another thing Hanulec suggested. I tried taking it out but the car was not as good. One thing I noticed with my roll center and arm length is that the car gets longer under suspension compression. I am going to play with some angle in the upper arm to see if I can get the caster to stay constant in the rear of the car under suspension compression. Maybe this is why the car picks up a push?

Monti
Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

And yes the rear gear diff is light, really light. When I was at the worlds warm up and I was watching Hanulec play with rear gear diffs, the one that worked the best was super light.

I have played with this a lot on my carpet track and have found that it works really well. You can feel a lot of differences depending on the choice of gear type (metal or plastic) or gd1 vs gd2, I have about 4 different diffs I use to fine tune.

Monti
Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Great run... Especially in an open tire race. I think my shock settings for your tire choice well as the Jaco Orange is very similar to Solaris SP35EX (my local spec tire).

Imagine if everyone was on the same rubber --- no matter who makes it...
Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MDawson
Always seems to be my question

It would be nice to normalize that anything shorter than 0 is (-) and anything longer than 0 is (+). or visa versa

I am with you, shorter - and longer +

Monti
Old 07-07-2014, 08:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

At pre-worlds I ran gd1 + light oil as it stayed the most consistent to me in the hot florida surface..
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Next time Monti try the harder bars -- 1.4f/1.2r -- should help
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
Next time Monti try the harder bars -- 1.4f/1.2r -- should help
I think I am going back to Joliet on Saturday so I will if I go. If not I plan to race in Cincy too so I will try it there for sure on Sunday.

Monti
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been playing with wheelbase as well lately and found shorter to be quite good. I'm currently running -8 deg (shorter wheel base) and the car is great on high traction carpet and medium\low asphalt.

We just ran on our newly restored asphalt track and I had the fastest car on the track even over Kyle in Mod. Just had some issues driving which kept me out of a TQ and possible win in the main.

Even on carpet the car has been great with this short wheelbase. I did try long +6, +8 deg and it worked good for low grip tires but i like the shorter for high grip tires.

Of course in the end it comes down to driving style and other setup features as to how everything works together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.