Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

I had my first outing this weekend at the nationals (Pro-Stock 13.5 blinky)
During practice, on used tires, i could almost go the pace of the fastest guys(+0.2-+.3 sec), but with new handout tires, my car had just not enough traction (about 0.6 sec slower).The race was affected by some rain, track dried up, afterwards i was just off the pace (about 0.6 sec slower than leaders). I had .5 shims under rear lower arms and i'm still using AM26. Is AM06S a must have to get the lowest possible roll center, i see it on almost all setup sheets, most often with 0mm under arms. Any other hints? THX
Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nutsisneat
I had my first outing this weekend at the nationals (Pro-Stock 13.5 blinky)......
Is AM06S a must have to get the lowest possible roll center, i see it on almost all setup sheets, most often with 0mm under arms. Any other hints? THX
AM06S + 0mm under arms provide the lowest possible roll center and also the possibility of the increased camber gain at the moderate low roll center.

The additional tip for the further lowering of the roll center - removing (grinding) 0,5mm of material from the foot face of the lower AT21 balls. This tip is indicated as AT21S in the setups ( for example in the latest setup from Dominic Vogl ).
Old 05-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

@Oleg

Thanks for your quick reply.
So you think i'm working in the right direction to cure the traction issues?

Just double checking...

THX
Old 05-12-2013, 03:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

@Oleg

Just double checking...

THX
Lowering the roll center helps.
Other options are trying alternate link lengths and inner/ outer camber link heights

It can depend how the car is (or isnt) rolling..
Old 05-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich
AM06S + 0mm under arms provide the lowest possible roll center and also the possibility of the increased camber gain at the moderate low roll center.

The additional tip for the further lowering of the roll center - removing (grinding) 0,5mm of material from the foot face of the lower AT21 balls. This tip is indicated as AT21S in the setups ( for example in the latest setup from Dominic Vogl ).
Oleg- Does the center driveshaft flex under power or braking? If so, is it a lot? I want to mount my capacitor under it. Doesn't seem like they would touch, but I figured I'd ask.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Oleg- Does the center driveshaft flex under power or braking? If so, is it a lot? I want to mount my capacitor under it. Doesn't seem like they would touch, but I figured I'd ask.
I'm curently running my cap right below the shaft. The capacitor is 1-2 mm away from the shaft and it hasn't rubbed at all.

I have run the car with and without am11 and haven't had any rubbing.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Shaft flex

There's a ball bearing guide that keeps it from flexing to the left and down.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

@Oleg
Just double checking... THX
My current point of view: we should keep the inner lower balls of A700 suspension as low as possible as we can easy transform it either to very low roll center or to the additional camber gain.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
If you run the center driveshaft guide it should prevent deflection. I have not issues of space or rub issues with a ORCA power cap directly mounted under the driveshaft.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I figured the guide would keep it from flexing, just wanted to make sure. Thanks guys!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich
My current point of view: we should keep the inner lower balls of A700 suspension as low as possible as we can easy transform it either to very low roll center or to the additional camber gain.
And just so everyone is clear -- this requires the "hand making" of the at21s by grinding 0.5mm off the bottom of the at21 balls.

Dawson shared with me his method --
1. Using a long screw, drive the screw through the top of the ball
2. Using a dremel with sanding disk trim the excess metal off the top of the ball from step 1 until appears smooth
3. Measure that balls height using a caliper.
4. With the screw inserted through the new hole at the top of the ball, start grinding the hex bottom of the at21. Continue to measure the ball height to only remove 0.5mm.
5. Always repeat the measurements of step 3 for each ball as their overall heights will be slightly different after breaking through the ball top.

Does anyone have a better method to make a at21s??
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
If you run the center driveshaft guide it should prevent deflection. I have not issues of space or rub issues with a ORCA power cap directly mounted under the driveshaft.
No issue here either. I was running my LRP cap directly under the shaft. With the guide in place there is no way it would hit what's below it unless the shaft actually fell out.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
And just so everyone is clear -- this requires the "hand making" of the at21s by grinding 0.5mm off the bottom of the at21 balls.

Dawson shared with me his method --
1. Using a long screw, drive the screw through the top of the ball
2. Using a dremel with sanding disk trim the excess metal off the top of the ball from step 1 until appears smooth
3. Measure that balls height using a caliper.
4. With the screw inserted through the new hole at the top of the ball, start grinding the hex bottom of the at21. Continue to measure the ball height to only remove 0.5mm.
5. Always repeat the measurements of step 3 for each ball as their overall heights will be slightly different after breaking through the ball top.

Does anyone have a better method to make a at21s??
That's brilliant. Didn't think of that. I don't have a better way but as I found AT21S out of stock,

I bought a carbide counterbore, used a 3mm drill blank as a guide and set depth stop to deepen the recesses from 0.5mm to 1mm. So I can just carry on using the standard AT21. Just ripped off the wishbones and bulkheads to do the job. Good if you know anyone with access to a workshop as it takes 5 mins to set up and about a minute to do a plate. If I can find the time I might be able to do a handful for others.

Last edited by hana166; 10-11-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Wow - drilling the chassis! Go you! That is an approach, but I rather wreck some at21 balls than a chassis plate.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello, have someone heard about a program called rc crew chief?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.