Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Vlad or Oleg - can you get back to OVA re: his order?

Ova - happy to share parts I might have to tie you over until your shipment shows up. I have a couple of spares of things. I am not supported by Awesomatix by any means but happy to get you going. LMK.

Hey Dawson
Oleg got to me today..Thanks

Last edited by OVA; 12-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
My first aide kit was in a bag amongst all the rest of the kit parts. Regardless, it sounds like he has enough to build it and I have a few spares too if he should need anything. Franko ( Ova ) races at my local track. I guess I'm no longer unique around here. :roll eyes:

Jake D.
Sorry about that Jake.. But look at the bright side you are the team leader of the Awesomatix Team Driver for Pacific NW
Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
Sorry about that Jake.. But look at the bright side you are the team leader of the Awesomatix Team Driver for Pacific NW
Ha, well you seem to know something I don't know ! But thanks for the unofficial title !

I hope you enjoy your build. Mine took three days. I thought it took longer but I checked the time stamps on my pictures. I stayed up until my eyes stopped focusing two of three nights so it's all a blur now

Jake
Old 12-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Previously Mark showed his method to remove the free play in the damper-spring assembly using heat shrink. I hadn't actually done anything up until this point so I started applying heat shrink but didn't like the fact it required disassembly of the parts to get the heat shrink into place. So I just tried a small zip tie and it seems to be doing the job well ( on the bench ). I am a bit worried that it is not allowing enough free movement as it is designed to do but that just depends on how tight the zip tie is pulled and whether the particular brand and size used has fine enough teeth to adjust it to ones desire. Anyway, I thought I'd share this alternate method because it doesn't require bending or disassembly but a combination of both heat shrink and a zip tie might be optimal.

Jake D.
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-img_0325_2b.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Anything holding those 2 parts together is going to cause friction which is worse than the play because it is likely to cause each corner to be slightly different. I can't see how the play is an issue as the wheel would have to be almost completely unloaded before getting to that play, at which point the suspension is not playing much of a part. In the 5 years of testing they did on the car, if it was an issue it would have been rectified. I wouldnt worry about it, the team drivers dont.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Although I agree that it is of less concern than creating excessive friction I think that a tire that is largely unloaded still can create some havoc if still being "driven" while unsprung even if it is on the light side of the car. I do like to think of droop in respect of the right and left side of the car too, although primarily I think of it front to back and vice versa. Anyway I intend to continue to pursue getting that last couple percent out of the car even if it means going backwards for a bit. It is easy enough to test this back to back to see if the zip ties make an improvement ( or hinders it ! ). I admit a zip tie isn't a perfectly elegant solution, and thus maybe why it is not a part of the kit ( if warranted ). I believe anything can use improvement... anything ! It doesn't mean this isn't already the best chassis available !

Jake D.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Previously Mark showed his method to remove the free play in the damper-spring assembly using heat shrink. I hadn't actually done anything up until this point so I started applying heat shrink but didn't like the fact it required disassembly of the parts to get the heat shrink into place. So I just tried a small zip tie and it seems to be doing the job well ( on the bench ). I am a bit worried that it is not allowing enough free movement as it is designed to do but that just depends on how tight the zip tie is pulled and whether the particular brand and size used has fine enough teeth to adjust it to ones desire. Anyway, I thought I'd share this alternate method because it doesn't require bending or disassembly but a combination of both heat shrink and a zip tie might be optimal.

Jake D.
Hey jake
maybe you can use the plastic dip coating to fill the gap
Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Another option worth considering is the use of O-rings to eliminate the play/slop. You'll only need to pop out the shock rod (ST05) from the arm hasp (P04) to slide the O-ring into place.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Great way to wrap up 2011 Carpet season!

The car was really good tonight. The car reset TQ through each round of qualifying even with a talented field trying to hunt down best time.

Won the main wire-to-wire. Thanks to the great team at Horsham Raceway for a great Toys For Tots event. A great cause helping the community and kids during the holidays. Awesome power from ORCA, OHP and support from Radiopost.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Congrat your win mark..That's Awesome ....
Old 12-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Velocitygt
Anything holding those 2 parts together is going to cause friction which is worse than the play because it is likely to cause each corner to be slightly different. I can't see how the play is an issue as the wheel would have to be almost completely unloaded before getting to that play, at which point the suspension is not playing much of a part. In the 5 years of testing they did on the car, if it was an issue it would have been rectified. I wouldnt worry about it, the team drivers dont.
Agree, and no play if the car is built and set up right, as discussed earlier. This mechanical marvel attracts people with CDO. Its a bit like OCD, but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Nice win Mark ! Do you even remember the color of the car in second place
Cheers,

Jake
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John.C
Another option worth considering is the use of O-rings to eliminate the play/slop. You'll only need to pop out the shock rod (ST05) from the arm hasp (P04) to slide the O-ring into place.
Thanks John ! An O-ring. Why didn't I think of that!? LOL

By the way, I noticed you put the O-ring near the end of SPR02. Likely you figured out this trick but I didn't initially : I didn't want to have to risk bending the spring possibly permanently deforming it, so rather than tweaking SPR01 to get SPR02 off I simply loosened or removed the set screw retaining SPR02 but instead of pulling SPR02 out completely I shoved it further in to the damper. This allowed it to disengage the spring without having to bend SPR01 out of the way.

Cheers,

Jake
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-screen-shot-2011-12-11-2.23.53-am.png  

Last edited by Magnet Top; 12-11-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hana166
This mechanical marvel attracts people with CDO. Its a bit like OCD, but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order

I like it, can I use it please.

Bb
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Great run Mark!! Those are some nice looking hardware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.