Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Like Tree96Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM
  #1066  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (84)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,668
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Vlad or Oleg - can you get back to OVA re: his order?

Ova - happy to share parts I might have to tie you over until your shipment shows up. I have a couple of spares of things. I am not supported by Awesomatix by any means but happy to get you going. LMK.

Hey Dawson
Oleg got to me today..Thanks

Last edited by OVA; 12-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
OVA is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM
  #1067  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (84)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,668
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
My first aide kit was in a bag amongst all the rest of the kit parts. Regardless, it sounds like he has enough to build it and I have a few spares too if he should need anything. Franko ( Ova ) races at my local track. I guess I'm no longer unique around here. :roll eyes:

Jake D.
Sorry about that Jake.. But look at the bright side you are the team leader of the Awesomatix Team Driver for Pacific NW
OVA is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM
  #1068  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Sorry about that Jake.. But look at the bright side you are the team leader of the Awesomatix Team Driver for Pacific NW
Ha, well you seem to know something I don't know ! But thanks for the unofficial title !

I hope you enjoy your build. Mine took three days. I thought it took longer but I checked the time stamps on my pictures. I stayed up until my eyes stopped focusing two of three nights so it's all a blur now

Jake
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:02 PM
  #1069  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Previously Mark showed his method to remove the free play in the damper-spring assembly using heat shrink. I hadn't actually done anything up until this point so I started applying heat shrink but didn't like the fact it required disassembly of the parts to get the heat shrink into place. So I just tried a small zip tie and it seems to be doing the job well ( on the bench ). I am a bit worried that it is not allowing enough free movement as it is designed to do but that just depends on how tight the zip tie is pulled and whether the particular brand and size used has fine enough teeth to adjust it to ones desire. Anyway, I thought I'd share this alternate method because it doesn't require bending or disassembly but a combination of both heat shrink and a zip tie might be optimal.

Jake D.
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-img_0325_2b.jpg  
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
  #1070  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Velocitygt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Anything holding those 2 parts together is going to cause friction which is worse than the play because it is likely to cause each corner to be slightly different. I can't see how the play is an issue as the wheel would have to be almost completely unloaded before getting to that play, at which point the suspension is not playing much of a part. In the 5 years of testing they did on the car, if it was an issue it would have been rectified. I wouldnt worry about it, the team drivers dont.
Velocitygt is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
  #1071  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Although I agree that it is of less concern than creating excessive friction I think that a tire that is largely unloaded still can create some havoc if still being "driven" while unsprung even if it is on the light side of the car. I do like to think of droop in respect of the right and left side of the car too, although primarily I think of it front to back and vice versa. Anyway I intend to continue to pursue getting that last couple percent out of the car even if it means going backwards for a bit. It is easy enough to test this back to back to see if the zip ties make an improvement ( or hinders it ! ). I admit a zip tie isn't a perfectly elegant solution, and thus maybe why it is not a part of the kit ( if warranted ). I believe anything can use improvement... anything ! It doesn't mean this isn't already the best chassis available !

Jake D.
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
  #1072  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (84)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,668
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Previously Mark showed his method to remove the free play in the damper-spring assembly using heat shrink. I hadn't actually done anything up until this point so I started applying heat shrink but didn't like the fact it required disassembly of the parts to get the heat shrink into place. So I just tried a small zip tie and it seems to be doing the job well ( on the bench ). I am a bit worried that it is not allowing enough free movement as it is designed to do but that just depends on how tight the zip tie is pulled and whether the particular brand and size used has fine enough teeth to adjust it to ones desire. Anyway, I thought I'd share this alternate method because it doesn't require bending or disassembly but a combination of both heat shrink and a zip tie might be optimal.

Jake D.
Hey jake
maybe you can use the plastic dip coating to fill the gap
OVA is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 PM
  #1073  
Tech Master
iTrader: (37)
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The track
Posts: 1,341
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Another option worth considering is the use of O-rings to eliminate the play/slop. You'll only need to pop out the shock rod (ST05) from the arm hasp (P04) to slide the O-ring into place.







John.C is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM
  #1074  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 00000
Posts: 4,165
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Great way to wrap up 2011 Carpet season!



The car was really good tonight. The car reset TQ through each round of qualifying even with a talented field trying to hunt down best time.

Won the main wire-to-wire. Thanks to the great team at Horsham Raceway for a great Toys For Tots event. A great cause helping the community and kids during the holidays. Awesome power from ORCA, OHP and support from Radiopost.

MDawson is offline  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM
  #1075  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (84)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,668
Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default

Congrat your win mark..That's Awesome ....
OVA is offline  
Old 12-11-2011, 01:36 AM
  #1076  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
hana166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Velocitygt View Post
Anything holding those 2 parts together is going to cause friction which is worse than the play because it is likely to cause each corner to be slightly different. I can't see how the play is an issue as the wheel would have to be almost completely unloaded before getting to that play, at which point the suspension is not playing much of a part. In the 5 years of testing they did on the car, if it was an issue it would have been rectified. I wouldnt worry about it, the team drivers dont.
Agree, and no play if the car is built and set up right, as discussed earlier. This mechanical marvel attracts people with CDO. Its a bit like OCD, but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order
hana166 is offline  
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 AM
  #1077  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Nice win Mark ! Do you even remember the color of the car in second place
Cheers,

Jake
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 AM
  #1078  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Magnet Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by John.C View Post
Another option worth considering is the use of O-rings to eliminate the play/slop. You'll only need to pop out the shock rod (ST05) from the arm hasp (P04) to slide the O-ring into place.
Thanks John ! An O-ring. Why didn't I think of that!? LOL

By the way, I noticed you put the O-ring near the end of SPR02. Likely you figured out this trick but I didn't initially : I didn't want to have to risk bending the spring possibly permanently deforming it, so rather than tweaking SPR01 to get SPR02 off I simply loosened or removed the set screw retaining SPR02 but instead of pulling SPR02 out completely I shoved it further in to the damper. This allowed it to disengage the spring without having to bend SPR01 out of the way.

Cheers,

Jake
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-screen-shot-2011-12-11-2.23.53-am.png  

Last edited by Magnet Top; 12-11-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Magnet Top is offline  
Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 AM
  #1079  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
This mechanical marvel attracts people with CDO. Its a bit like OCD, but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order


I like it, can I use it please.

Bb
bucketboy is offline  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM
  #1080  
Tech Master
iTrader: (37)
 
John.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The track
Posts: 1,341
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Great run Mark!! Those are some nice looking hardware.
John.C is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.