Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ohh, I missed that you guys are using the hard springs in the rear, that explains the mismatch. thanks on the 500wt. I get that there is no exact match... heck my #6 dampers don't even all match each other let alone comparisons to the new dampers

Thanks Mike!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I can say that Mikes setup is faster then the one I posted. The soft rears that I have do roll up a lot. I like that feel though as a base the car is very comfortable to drive which for many drivers is a huge piece of getting the car under you. I would say the more bite you have the more you will want to go to those harder rear springs and get the car up out of the carpet.

I did some running with the amr 19-2 ( rear upper mounts for shorter rear arm) the 19 -2 is about a half a hole longer upper arm then the -1. My preference after the day is the -1. It feels more like the car is balanced under the rear where the -2 feels like the balance is just on the edge of the rear of the car. I can not say it will be faster or slower for any driver just how it felt for me.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i've also posted a slightly easier version of Mike Gee's setup that both myself and Larry have run at Horsham over the last two weekends.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Curious about how much oil seepage people are experiencing with the new dampers. Mine are leaving a thin layer of fluid on everything within a 1 inch radius. It's not enough to actually cause a drip, so they aren't really leaking, but after a run every bit of dirt and road grime is collecting in that area. Is this normal for everyone else?

How often are you all rebuilding these new dampers? And what weight is equivalent to 500? Would Associated 40wt be pretty close? It seems like I need to do it soon considering how much fluid I'm consistently losing (it doesn't take long for the oil to come back after I completely clean everything).

Last edited by WesRaven; 03-17-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 03-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Mine seep a bit. I green slimed the center o ring and rebuild them every other week or so. I do see the race track about twice a week. So roughly every 4 race days.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

wes - the CST measurements are on the side of the ASC bottle. ASC 40wt is 500cst. This is roughly equivalent to what is in the 'stock' dampers.

The older D6 dampers have somewhat a lighter feel, probably closer to 35 or 37.5wt.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Do people feel these new dampers are worth the extra hassle? Being brand new to Awesomatix, I have never run the old ones, but part of the appeal of this car to me was not having to be constantly rebuilding shocks. These things seep so much it almost makes me want to find an older set that don't use the fluid. But, I'm sure there's a good reason the older versions were replaced.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by WesRaven
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Do people feel these new dampers are worth the extra hassle? Being brand new to Awesomatix, I have never run the old ones, but part of the appeal of this car to me was not having to be constantly rebuilding shocks. These things seep so much it almost makes me want to find an older set that don't use the fluid. But, I'm sure there's a good reason the older versions were replaced.
lol
Wes - i hear where you are coming from. i think an average racers can go one month easily w/o shock refill (i won't call it a rebuild --- i haven't done anything but top them off). my current refill action is to remove the long set screw like thing and put oil down that hole. close back up, and then listen to see if i hear air.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 AM

So is Oleg not making anymore of the D6 dampers anymore for replacements? Are they still offering rebuilds on them if they go bad?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Clegg
So is Oleg not making anymore of the D6 dampers anymore for replacements? Are they still offering rebuilds on them if they go bad?
joe - i'm not going to speak for Oleg... but for we've just bit the bullet and got onboard with the new dampers. the potential the dampers have -- especially to increase performance in Modified Touring, and on hot tracks (like in AZ, CA, FL) -- is all the motivation i need to want to use these new dampers.

being able to fix you shock track side if it feels a bit wonky is a way better feeling than having to buy new ones, or await a repair from factory.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
joe - i'm not going to speak for Oleg... but for we've just bit the bullet and got onboard with the new dampers. the potential the dampers have -- especially to increase performance in Modified Touring, and on hot tracks (like in AZ, CA, FL) -- is all the motivation i need to want to use these new dampers.

being able to fix you shock track side if it feels a bit wonky is a way better feeling than having to buy new ones, or await a repair from factory.

+1 i cant wait to get mines.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Fair enough, I will say though that the "perk" rebuilding of dampers is an ironic twist for one of the biggest value's this car hyped before What next? the perk of being able to replace belts, and going to traditional shock springs?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Clegg
Fair enough, I will say though that the "perk" rebuilding of dampers is an ironic twist for one of the biggest value's this car hyped before What next? the perk of being able to replace belts, and going to traditional shock springs?
LOL Exactly! I'm really glad I'm not alone on this one. I thought the days of leaky shocks and dealing with messy oil were finally over... oh well... the car is still worth it to say the least
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

We have found that our current OR15 5x1mm extra soft o-rings become smaller and stiffer after two...three weeks of contact with silicone oil.
It cause some leak of oil from D2 dampers.
The guys that put OR15 fully into Asso Greenslime lube before installation don't have such problem according to reports.
Probably Greenslime protects OR15 against silicone oil influence during long period.
From our side we will change the specifications of these o-rings asap.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I took out the 5x8x2 and fitted a rubber shielded 5x8x2.5 and omitted the washer. And used green slime. More barriers to escaping oil. See how it goes tonight.

I think a system like the GD2 where you could fill and bleed with a syringe would be the next level. If the damper case were thicker walled at the end it would be possible to have a threaded bleed hole and a threaded nipple to go in it when its time to refill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.