R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Smile 12th Scale Setup Station

How do you all setup your 12th scale Cars?

I have a CRC Carpet Knife 3.2 and I seem to steer better to the right than left. From what I can tell bith sides are the same but I need Help

Also are there any good setup stations to help with toe, camber and Castor?
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

3 things to look for when this is the case, balance, tire size, and tweak.

1st check the left to right balance of your car. usually done by putting 2 balance buttons, 1 rear, and 1 front in the middle of the chassis. The car should sit level. (IRS makes these if you need to get some).

2nd check to make sure your tire diameters are identical. Ie. Left Front should have same diameter as Right Front. Left Rear same size as Right Rear.

3rd, and do this step last, check for tweak using a Tweak station. Then adjust tweak screws as necessary to eliminate tweak. Tweak normally happens by bad screwing procedures (HAH!... Sorry) or hitting the wall hard.

Hudy and Integy both make Tweak Stations that are reliable.

There are a few other things that can affect handling... Front springs. Make sure they have not collapsed. Sometimes its just easier to change them out. Make sure to measure the spring to ensure they are the same length.

Lower Suspension Arms. Make sure they are both the same height. Sometimes it is necessary to sand one down a little bit to ensure they are even.

Hope this gives you some help on where to look.

Paul
Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Tech Elite

the only other things i would add to that are:
1: steering throw. make sure your car turns the same radius circles going both left and right.

2: make sure the rear pod is nor bound. loosen the 2 screws that hold down the "footbal" piviot in the rear. set the chassis on a flat surface center and retighten. if the rear pod is bound nothing you do will ever make a difference.

3: make sure the king pins slide easily through the piviot balls in the front arms. sometime the shoulder on the piviot ball gets damaged during instalation, thus binding the pin as it slides through. if one king pin is tight it will act like you are running 2 different springs on the front.

4. if the car is old, you might want to check the holes in the front that the large screws go through to bolt on the lower arms. sometime they can get "ovaled" out over time and cause the car to change during a run or after you hit a wall.

5: if thge body does not slide on to the car easily, it will add tweak. so you check tweak in the pit with the boay off, but when you put it on it pulls on the car.

6 make sure the wires going to the motor are not effecting the way the rear pod rotates.

good luck. if i think of anything elese i will post back.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Tech Master

I was looking at the Hudy Website and I can only find 10th scale or bigger setup stations. Does anyone have a link to one that will work with the carpet knife?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Tech Master

Sorry and By the way thanks for the info it's great
Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

http://www.unitytool.com/tweakboard/index.html
Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Tech Elite

i forgot to mention tires. they do wear differently from side to side. i rotate mine every run to try and keep the wear even.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubaboy View Post
Hudy and Integy both make Tweak Stations that are reliable.
Those are for full suspension cars and do not work with pan cars.

The Unity Tool is the most complete setup station for pan cars today. Niftech also has a really good tool, only you'll need to know a little bit of math to calculate toe in. The Niftech one has a really easy measurement system to make sure the rear axle is spaced properly. The one I use was made by Holeshot years ago, wish that was still available as it is a great system.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Default .

would you use rims to set the car on.Or just and even pair of tires
metheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Integy, Speedmind amd MIP all have tweak bars that work just like the Unity one. They don't offer the camber, caster, and toe in measurements however.

A $10 RPM gauge works fine, though for camber.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Those are for full suspension cars and do not work with pan cars.

The Unity Tool is the most complete setup station for pan cars today. Niftech also has a really good tool, only you'll need to know a little bit of math to calculate toe in. The Niftech one has a really easy measurement system to make sure the rear axle is spaced properly. The one I use was made by Holeshot years ago, wish that was still available as it is a great system.
I wasn't really referring to a full setup station. Just the tweak station. That's works on any type of car, as it's just a flat bar on a pivot point.

I'm not sure that it's really necessary to get a dedicated full bore pan car setup station, as tweak, camber, and tow are the main components one measures in the class.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Tech Regular

It costs 50 cents to check tweak in a 12th scale. Leave all tires on, the battery in, set the car on the table close to the edge, get 2 quarters and set them directly on top of the front tires. then get a hobby knife, slide it to the rear of the car in the center of the chassis, then raise the car with the hobby knife and if the quarters hit the table evenly, your tweak is even. If not, work from there. This method is as good as any other so dont waste time or money searching for a tweak or setup station.

You can check for tire wear and camber by buying a new set of tires, run them and see if they wear evenly and flat. If not, true them a little, adjust chamber links, and try again.
#88driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Tech Champion

If you adjust camber that way you will end up with more camber on one side then on the other since there are always 1 more turn to one side. It is a good method to get close but not always the optimal in handling.

It's too bad no one makes one like the Holeshot anymore as that system easily adjusted everything and cost less then $40. Also it used setup blocks on the axles to set camber and toe rather then the wheels...using the wheels is pretty inaccurate as after a few hits the wheels are rarely straight any longer.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

can anyone post a pic or a link to that "famous" holeshot system...

A friend of mine has a Tweak board from unity tools but it's a few bucks to much if you ask me...

If the holeshot is only 40 usd I would like to see it...

thanks
Nilezb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 AM   #15
Tech Champion

It WAS only $40ish...I haven't seen it in production for about 10 years or more.

I'll try and get pics of mine tomorrow.