R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #106
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Bigger Brother

Any feedback from the guys who ran the shells at the Nats?

We've got a few people starting to run them over here and starting to look good!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Been doing some back to back testing with the LTC, R9R and Speed6. The Speed 6 and LTC behave quite similar and don't need much change in setup. The R9 seems to have a much more steering and needs the car to be hooked up in the rear to work.

Fastest laps times have been similar but the LTC so far is the most consistant for me. At the track I race the lap record for 10.5 was set with a LTC and for 17.5 the R9R!

More pinions would be great. It seems to me that after tyres, Bodies could be te biggest difference in how your car handles.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #108
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that body is super sexy looking =]
Old 03-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default .......

Tried it on my Cyclone last sunday.Just a bit of a tweak to the rear and it was very good.Smoother,crisper than the Mazda I was using.Very nice.Needs a bit of a change in setup,especially at the rear,minor thats all.Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #110
Tech Adept

I was just looking over the efra body list and saw this:

2009:
4018 Lexus ISF Protoform
4019 Saab Concept Vehicle Protoform
4020 Audi A4 DTM Version Protoform

dale,
are the other two the R9 bodies?
tomracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #111
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomracing View Post
I was just looking over the efra body list and saw this:

2009:
4018 Lexus ISF Protoform
4019 Saab Concept Vehicle Protoform
4020 Audi A4 DTM Version Protoform

dale,
are the other two the R9 bodies?
According to their website this is how it breaks down.

4020 Audi A4 DTM Version Protoform = R9-R
4018 Lexus ISF Protoform = LTC-R
4019 Saab Concept Vehicle Protoform = DNA2

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #112
Tech Addict

tomracing and Kraig;

OK, I’m going to try to explain this “name thing” to you guys and hope it makes some sence.
A few years back licensing firms (representing the 1:1 automakers) were strong-arming small hobby companies like ours to squeeze exorbitant licensing fee$ out of us for the use of a “name” or a “likeness” - not caring at all if it would eventually be the very thing that torpedoed your profit margin and put you out of business.
Well, r/c racebodies were already been required to be distorted in many ways – to make them functional and fit properly. There was already a “likeness” issue to start with. So we gradually moved away from the practice of replicating “real” cars. ROAR and IFMAR understood the situation and were understanding of what was going on. I thought EFRA was understanding of this as well - they approved the DNA3 a long time ago.
Well I submitted these bodies for approval at the end of 08 and suddenly out of the blue I got a phone car stating that EFRA needed to know what real cars these three bodies represented. The LRC-R was easy to associate with a real car, but the other two were not so easy. I quickly thought of a couple of cars that had “inspired” the other two designs – so I gave those two names. I never imagined it would end up on the EFRA web site.

Sorry for any confusion.

Dale - Protoform
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
tomracing and Kraig;

OK, I’m going to try to explain this “name thing” to you guys and hope it makes some sence.
A few years back licensing firms (representing the 1:1 automakers) were strong-arming small hobby companies like ours to squeeze exorbitant licensing fee$ out of us for the use of a “name” or a “likeness” - not caring at all if it would eventually be the very thing that torpedoed your profit margin and put you out of business.
Well, r/c racebodies were already been required to be distorted in many ways – to make them functional and fit properly. There was already a “likeness” issue to start with. So we gradually moved away from the practice of replicating “real” cars. ROAR and IFMAR understood the situation and were understanding of what was going on. I thought EFRA was understanding of this as well - they approved the DNA3 a long time ago.
Well I submitted these bodies for approval at the end of 08 and suddenly out of the blue I got a phone car stating that EFRA needed to know what real cars these three bodies represented. The LRC-R was easy to associate with a real car, but the other two were not so easy. I quickly thought of a couple of cars that had “inspired” the other two designs – so I gave those two names. I never imagined it would end up on the EFRA web site.

Sorry for any confusion.

Dale - Protoform
This is really interesting. I always suspected there might have been such issues, but never had any first hand accounts. Well done in any case, Dale.

May I ask you, is Protoform a one-man company?

And one more. How much does it cost to make a bodyshell (from inception/design to finished product). I am interested because I would like to have some cars made (no company is making them right now) and have no idea how much it would cost to have something made in a small run.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #114
Tech Adept

dale,
right i understand the issue and the choices being made.

what nizai asked also interests me about protoform as a company
but also how does the process of a new body come along? do you carve a mold or do you start from cad designs?
do you think about what function you need to create in a body and how do you confirm that you succeeded with the design?
tomracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #115
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dale, how long until a 200mm version is released
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 PM   #116
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree, the DNA2 body does look like the SAAB Concept, but doesn't the R9 look more like a Jaguar XF?
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #117
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
This is really interesting. I always suspected there might have been such issues, but never had any first hand accounts. Well done in any case, Dale.

May I ask you, is Protoform a one-man company?

And one more. How much does it cost to make a bodyshell (from inception/design to finished product). I am interested because I would like to have some cars made (no company is making them right now) and have no idea how much it would cost to have something made in a small run.
If you want a replica of a production car, I think the license is the biggest expense. I dont know about Dale but Mcallister Racing and MLP will pull a shell from your mold with a little begging. If you are good with 3D max you can render any shape you want and have it 3D printed. The 3D prototype is strong enough for a short run of shells but will not hold up to full production.

I wait for Dale to improve this answer.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #118
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Radron

Quick ? for those of you running the LTC-R, Has anyone tried it on foam/carpet? If so, Good or bad?

I have the DNA2 now for outdoor rubber & am looking at new bodies for foam/carpet, should I retire the DNA2 to carpet & go with the LTC-R for rubber?

Thanks, Ron
Radron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radron View Post
Quick ? for those of you running the LTC-R, Has anyone tried it on foam/carpet? If so, Good or bad?

I have the DNA2 now for outdoor rubber & am looking at new bodies for foam/carpet, should I retire the DNA2 to carpet & go with the LTC-R for rubber?

Thanks, Ron
It is a rubber tire body. On foam it will make your car feel really sunk in and not too fast.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #120
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Radron

I understand it's a rubber body. I was thinking that with the small indoor track I will be running on, it would have a better balance & not as much down force with the lower speeds. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, huh??
Radron is offline   Reply With Quote