R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Sabin;
Quote:
looks like just about every other race body out there
There's some valid truth to your statement and I too lament that fact. A cursory glance at the shape and "look" of racecars that compete in virtually every racing series in the world (where real speed in involved) and the same conclusion can be reached. Whether its F1, LeMans/ALMS, NHRA, NASCAR or GrandAm - the overriding principle of "form follows function" has sadly made the racecars very similar in appearance. We're not immune to this in the rc world unfortunately. On occasion I've tried to do things a bit more "out of the box" like the R9 series - knowing that this would offend some. There's no easy solution - but I'll keep trying to find it.

academygaz;
Quote:
What is the benefit of the two 'nub' thingys on the rear bumper?
Some auto designers have added a pair of "bumperettes" beside the licence plate recess in recent years. (see pics) I presume its for added protection in slow impact situations I'm not a fan of these tacky looking things - but I realized the they provide a bit of a solution to a "wing location" issue on rc sedan bodies. They in essence extend the rear bumper measuring point enough to move the wing back a few extra millimeters "legally" - if and when it's teched in.

hanulec;
No plans for a foam version at this time.

TRF415boy;
Quote:
Thanks for the clearance I can see the similarities in the headlights and front grill. Let's just hope that it'll be deemed a good enough representation and thus will get into our bodyshell list...
Would you be so kind as to clarify that statement a bit. You've kinda lost me....

Dale - Protoform
Attached Thumbnails
NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-dodge_stratus_rear.jpg   NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-rear_w_bumperettes.jpg  
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #32
Tech Master

Hi Dale,

You may not know but the BRCA is very strict on what bodyshell they deem legal, although in recent times they haven't been as much as they used to be.

Anyway here's a copy of the rule book:

Must be representative of a ‘full size’ Touring Car or GT (Racing version or Road going) i.e. NO ‘designer’ type shells.

No NASCAR, Rally, Truck or ‘Pure Racing’ type
bodyshells allowed.

When they say representative, it means that it must look like the actual car to a certain degree, which is purely subjective and obviously depends on the person who checks the bodyshell.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too would like to see some VTA bodies come out, count me as another vote for a Javelin....I am sure that Chrysler would welcome the Lic. money
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #34
Tech Addict

TRF415boy;
Quote:
You may not know but the BRCA is very strict on what bodyshell they deem legal, although in recent times they haven't been as much as they used to be. Anyway here's a copy of the rule book:
Must be representative of a ‘full size’ Touring Car or GT (Racing version or Road going) i.e. NO ‘designer’ type shells. No NASCAR, Rally, Truck or ‘Pure Racing’ type bodyshells allowed.
When they say representative, it means that it must look like the actual car to a certain degree, which is purely subjective and obviously depends on the person who checks the bodyshell.
Thanks for the quick responce. Question: How do feel when you are the victim of "INCONSISTENCY". You know - when you're the hardest worker in the business - but the lazy guy gets the job promotion. While the cop is writing out your speeding ticket, cars are speeding past @ 25 mph over the limit. There's a thousand examples that we could both relate to - but one thing I think we'll probably agree on is that it's very aggravating.

I've posted a series of photos below. All the photos were taken directly from the BRCA "Officially APPROVED Body Page" and are pics of bodies that passed the scrutiny of the BRCA officials and apparently meet all the criteria that you have quoted me. My previous dealing with them have always give me the impression that they take their job/title/position very seriously. I've been lambasted (in writing) on numerous occassions for my rc body travesties.

I have a few comments, and I'm not trying to criticize the body manufacturers represented in these pics - only commenting on the body features (or lack thereof) that were given the OK by the BRCA body personel. From left to right:
pic 1 - Mazda 3 It appears to be a generic Pf Stratus/Nemesis shape with a strange bulge in the front of the hood. How did it even get the Mazda 3 name hung on it?
pic 2 - the "320 Si" - ya right - a packpoured Stratus 3 shape with a pair of BMW kidney bean grill decals. Not even the traditional knotch shape in the rear side window/c pillar that all BMW's have had for 40 years. Pretty unbelievable - but BRCA legal.
http://www.redrc.net/2007/11/east-co...0mm-bmw-320si/
pic 3 - the "Euro R" Does any one know what a Euro R is? Does it represent a real car? This version appears to be a poorly backpoured Ride Accord.
pic 4 - the "IS 250" Just another backpoured Mazda 6 with different headlights and grill. Absolutely nothing "Lexus" about it.
pic 5 - the "Audi RS4" Nothing remotely Audi looking about this body, not even the grill - yet another Mazda 6 with a weird folded grill.

More to follow.

Dale - Protoform
Attached Thumbnails
NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-mazda-3.jpg   NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-320si.jpg   NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-euro-r.jpg   NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-is250.jpg   NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-audi-rs4.jpg  

Last edited by daleepp; 11-19-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #35
Tech Addict

TRF415boy;
Quote:
You may not know but the BRCA is very strict on what bodyshell they deem legal, although in recent times they haven't been as much as they used to be. Anyway here's a copy of the rule book:
Must be representative of a ‘full size’ Touring Car or GT (Racing version or Road going) i.e. NO ‘designer’ type shells. No NASCAR, Rally, Truck or ‘Pure Racing’ type bodyshells allowed.
Here's a four more examples of BRCA Legal body shells - and one that's not.

pic 1 (click in bmp link) - the "Type M" What kind of car is a Type M? I could probably guess. But I'm sure I was told by the BRCA that the bodies had to represent real cars and have a real name.
pic 2 - the "Speed Type C" Is that the name of a real car? If not, why not give the body a real name?
pic 3 (click on bmp link) - the "Skoda II" Thought for sure this was a Stratus 1. Oh well....
pic 4 - the "Alpha 159" Other than the grill and headlamp decals there's just not a lot of Alfa 159 styling going on here. Guess that's because it's actually an Alpha 159. What is an Alpha anyway?
pic 5 - PROTOform Volvo C60 - "REJECTED BY THE BRCA" Ya - I was told it was not realistic enough.
http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...ept_auto_shows

The Global Body Spec format did not enter the scene any too soon. With licensing agencies looking to take the body manufacturers last dime - it's been a welcomed relief from politics, prejudice and subjectivity.

Kudo's to the committee that formulated the GBS format!

Dale Epp - Protoform
Attached Thumbnails
NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-speed-type-c.jpg   NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-alpha-159.jpg   NEW! PROTOform "LTC-R" Sedan Body-pf-volvo.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Type M.bmp (69.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: bmp Skoda II.bmp (58.6 KB, 213 views)
Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #36
Tech Regular

From looking at the pics you posted I think you are right, they all look the same and they look nothing like the cars they ar models of. Me personally I want to race a car that looks like a real car. That is one reason I like the VTA series, the cars look real.

I know that I am no where near good enough to take advantage of a body like the ones you have listed, or your new body, when the day comes where I can keep the car off the boards for an entire race and not make a mistake then I might think about a real race body, till then I will keep with bodies that look something like a real car, the ones that look realistic, the way touring cars started out. I am sure that there are rc'ers out there that can take advantage of bodies like you posted above, just not me.

I guess that is why I don't care for nascar, or speccar as I like to call it, I don't care about Daytona Prototypes, I follow the "lower" classes where a Porsche looks like a Porsche, a Ferrari looks like a Ferrari...even in a series like World Challange or Koni Challange, the cars are the stars and you know what car just went by, even in P1 and P2 in ALMS the cars are different enough you can tell the difference between a Lola and a Audi and a Porsche.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

ouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
pic 5 - PROTOform Volvo C60 - "REJECTED BY THE BRCA" Ya - I was told it was not realistic enough.
http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...ept_auto_shows
I12PonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #38
Tech Master

Hi Dale,

I would like to stress that I appreciate both your work and the BRCA's work. Keeping in mind that people aren't being paid to be a commitee member of the BRCA and I would be surprised if the person in charge of bodyshell approvals would be as well. My post was in no way intended at having a go at the BRCA, I just wanted to know if there was a chance of it becoming legal for us in the UK.

I totally agree some of the shells there look like nothing and as far as I am concerned every time I tried anything else than a PF body I experienced an increase in laptimes and/or noticeable degradation of the handling, so I'm keeping to the PF Mazda 6 and PF Mazdaspeed 6. I guess my point here is that all these shells, when it comes to serious racers, are pretty much useless. I can see the reason for a bigger bodyshell list, and I suspect the reason why some of these shells are on the list is to have more manufacturers, some of which have a very limited choice, and we end up with strange looking shells.

Last, I think you're doing a great job I know it's not easy to find a shape that'll work in our cars and you've been doing a great job at picking real cars and making them into a shell that handles.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #39
Tech Addict

hello TRF415boy;

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. I appreciate your support of our products and your kind words as well.
There's a good chance that I'll be attending a sedan race in the UK in late spring - hopefully our paths will cross and we'll be able to meet in person.

Best wishes in all your racing endevours!

Regards - Dale - Protoform
Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Hi Dale,

Those examples you've listed really demonstrate some insanity by the BRCA. Especially not authorising your S60.

Your latest bodies are looking as good as ever. I'm currently enjoying your R9-R. Do you have and plans to do an 190mm Alfa 159? I'd love to see this body from you!

Cheers, Chris.

Last edited by BagofSkill; 11-23-2008 at 09:21 AM.
BagofSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Great Job!!!

Tell me Dale are there ANY plans for a 200mm version?
I am sure the nitro racers will appreciate it!
trickd122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
On occasion I've tried to do things a bit more "out of the box" like the R9 series - knowing that this would offend some. There's no easy solution - but I'll keep trying to find it.

Dale - Protoform
Please do not apologize for the R9. And thank you for rescuing us from the stratus quo.

If the Auto manufacturers would recognize that this is a free form of advertising and get a little more liberal with the licenses, then we would all have more variety and fewer "designer" shells. The R9 is very unique. They should copy that with a real car.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Hi Dale, can you tell me if in the world championship of touring car electric were they using the new body, thanks.
Nuno Gancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho View Post
Hi Dale, can you tell me if in the world championship of touring car electric were they using the new body, thanks.
Speed 6
new body need released 3 months to approve.
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #45
Tech Elite

I can't believe that it's true....all those bodies DO look the same. WoW! Change the Front and Rear Decals and.....Poof!....It's the same!

Keep up the good work Dale
- Protoform... not just the decals. - Individuality and Dominating Performance since day one.
theDover is offline   Reply With Quote