R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #676
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
With some of the t-bar guys looking at running this pack on one side of the car it's important to be able to flip the pack over. You can't do that with bullet connectors.
I've had sedan packs with bullets and needed to flip oned over to get the polarity right (short wires in the car, couldn't reach to plug in the opposite way) I drilled right through the barrel out the "bottom" of the case, then just flipped the pack over and plugged in to the new holes. someone could offer the pack with the holes open on both top and bottom already to make flipping possible right from the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Limiting the capacity should NOT be an issue. We made time in mod with 2000 mAh not too long ago and it shouldn't be that hard to do it now. Perhaps it's time to actually drive a 12th car again instead of just pinning it for 8 minutes and drilling everything that gets in the way. The current 4 cell cars can easily go 50+ mph on a reasonable size carpet track so it's not like they need to go any faster.
Thank you. I couldn't have said it better. If the hobby is going to "evolve" to the point that it's impossible to dump no matter how silly we drive, maybe we need cars that are also impossible to crash no matter how silly we drive. While we're at it, cars that automatically follow the best line around the track no matter how silly we drive.

Oh wait... the slot car guys already did that... look how well THAT worked out.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #677
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
Interesting. Would you charge from the ESC solder tabs, or would you bare a short section of the wires to which you clip your charger leads? Staggered, of course, and mindfully positioned within the car to not short on anything else. Hmm...
Charging batteries while connected to a speedo is not a good idea .. you can reverse bias the brake mosfets and blow them out .... or just smoke the entire speedo. trust me!

Last edited by John St.Amant; 01-21-2009 at 02:56 PM.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #678
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
There is no need for capacity to be higher. That being sai we have room inside the case to make it higher and increase the C rate.

A racer can choose to use whatever conenctors he want and shorten the wires if needed. This pack is also used in many oval classes so it needs to be versatile.

We will let our competitors use inboard connectors if they feel it's the way to do.

As far as case size and having it frozen that is to keep things from getting out of hand.
He is impervious to our whims. Once ROAR decides to mandate 1c lipos for pan cars and reduces the weight limit (please god) , Associated or Orion will make some packs for us. Also apparently he has no idea how to make the barrels and wires and mounting circuit board come together in one nice little package. It's a shame really . As racers we demand performence and also practicality. If said is the case (lol) then we will just have to wait for what we really want. 12th needs to be single cell across the board. Round cells are a thing of the past (like so many t-bar cars are soon to be). and about 725 grams or so for the weight . Im sure as soon as ROAR lets us in on the future of 12th scale in their eyes, things will come to their fruition. As for now? My 12R5 sits on the shelf till further notice. And whom ever can kiss the fattest part of my posterior extremity. Semantics .. rules..
maybe we will just make our own rules and forget about who is telling us what to run

Thanks for nothin' man.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #679
Tech Master

I had thought about asking a speedo manufacturer to put 3.5mm barrels or even smaller for 12th scale ,right in the speedo at the outputs, built them right into the case . You would never have to heat the most expensive piece of equiptment up again. Well, atl east with a soldering iron anyways. the connectors could be heat shrunk and or fastened down . Replacing wires could be as easy pie and the speedo could stay in the car durring the opperation. then you could use whatever battery you want . And no soldering to speedos and especially ,, NO DEANS CONNECTOR!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #680
Tech Regular

All connectors will degrade over time so it's a bad idea to wire permanent connectors onto the speedo's. Deans connectors are great (when they're new and clean). Bullet connectors are great (when they're new and clean).

Once the connectors in your packs start getting all galled up with dirt/dust they end up with more resistance. Once that happens you're sol because no amount of cleaning is going to take the pits and scratches out of them. With an external connector you simply change it out. With those crappy in pack connectors you either use the pack for practice or throw it out. Replacing the connectors in an Orion pack makes it illegal for ROAR races. Nice.

I'm a racer and willing to deal with a very little hastle for a better connection. Connectors that I can actually change out makes my pack last longer and that's why I went LiPo in the first place.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #681
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No connectors is even better than connectors so having wires can give you that option if you want. Once again this may not make a huge difference but if your the type of racer who wants every bit of power you have the option.

SMC is about selling the best possible packs and using inferior connection methods just because they look pretty makes no sense to us.

I'm pretty busy with many new Lipos were about to release but I hope to have some testing done in the near future to show the difference between a circuit board with tubes and wires with a connector.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #682
Tech Master

See if you can figure out how to just use the circuit board only to hold the barrel and wire. The backbone of it all should not be used for conductivity . Only the strain relief. The wires fron the cells internally should be soldered directly to the barrel. One connection ! Rather than wired wires to wires and then to a Deans. One less solder joint.
As an option.... You would stand to corner the market on 1 cell packs!
2 small holes.... one small backbone.. Less is more!
Keep the ones with the deans on them for the guys whos head is harder than mine.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #683
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

ive got one big ? for this pissing contest. all this talk about resisitance. is it really something that the majority of us would see? or are we just talking about elite folks
buffalobill989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #684
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
He is impervious to our whims. Once ROAR decides to mandate 1c lipos for pan cars and reduces the weight limit (please god) , Associated or Orion will make some packs for us. Also apparently he has no idea how to make the barrels and wires and mounting circuit board come together in one nice little package. It's a shame really . As racers we demand performence and also practicality. If said is the case (lol) then we will just have to wait for what we really want. 12th needs to be single cell across the board. Round cells are a thing of the past (like so many t-bar cars are soon to be). and about 725 grams or so for the weight . Im sure as soon as ROAR lets us in on the future of 12th scale in their eyes, things will come to their fruition. As for now? My 12R5 sits on the shelf till further notice. And whom ever can kiss the fattest part of my posterior extremity. Semantics .. rules..
maybe we will just make our own rules and forget about who is telling us what to run

Thanks for nothin' man.
No offense dude, but what the hell are you rambling on about? You continue to take a perfectly good and informative thread and muck it up with your incessant demands for apologies and bullet connectors. You have literally beaten this dead horse to dust. If the thought of a single cell lipo without bullet connectors makes you this distraught, stay away and save yourself (and us) the agony.
I do like your idea of making your own rules...the person with the neatest wiring wins TQ and the car with the most energy-robbing connections wins.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #685
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobill989 View Post
ive got one big ? for this pissing contest. all this talk about resisitance. is it really something that the majority of us would see? or are we just talking about elite folks

Higher resistance will reduce the voltage some and it will increase as the amp load is increased. So in some of the slower classes it should make less of a difference.

When trying to release a product for the racers you try to make it the best possible. We did make a compromise on the wire size as we used 14 gauge instead of 12 gauge. There are many racers using this pack in oval and they would prefer using 12 gauge.

At the IIC in Vegas one of our racers who was using Bullet style connectors instead of Deans tried hardwiring instead of the Bullet connectors and he picked up a tenth of a second in 17.5 TC Foam. The Buller connectors were not good because they were gold colored brass instead of gold plated copper. This shows that small things make a difference.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #686
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobill989 View Post
There once was a time when a pack of 1.240 batteries would fetch $20 more than a pack of 1.239 voltage cells. That time was about 5 minutes ago. This shows that whether perceived or reality, racers demand the best they can get. This is what SMC is all about. Will that .001 per cell matter? Probably not. Do racers want to risk it? No.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #687
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
No offense dude, but what the hell are you rambling on about? You continue to take a perfectly good and informative thread and muck it up with your incessant demands for apologies and bullet connectors. You have literally beaten this dead horse to dust. If the thought of a single cell lipo without bullet connectors makes you this distraught, stay away and save yourself (and us) the agony.
I do like your idea of making your own rules...the person with the neatest wiring wins TQ and the car with the most energy-robbing connections wins.
Hey Jack .... do you know what a troll is? He's one.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #688
Tech Fanatic

I know....but I love to rant too! LOL.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #689
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians11 View Post
The wiring worked out pretty well for me, it helped when I glued the connector to the front side of the case, so all that I have to do is push in the connector from my speedo, and doesn't seem to take up any extra room. I'll try to take a picture this evening if you'd like.

Shoe Gooing the connector to the front side of the case really helped with everything as well...
brians11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #690
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Has anyone found a way to "neatly" wire one of these and still be able to easily get the battery in & out for charging? I've not seen one posted in the "Inspire us. Show me your BEST, CLEANEST electronics installation pics. " thread yet.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote