R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #616
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,859
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobill989 View Post
i think stanton is
This is true, it's been working great.
brians11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #617
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
Anyone running 1 C/ 13.5 in an 12R5 yet?
uhh.. where have you been?
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #618
Tech Master
 
PartTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sterling hts MI
Posts: 1,029
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

My car is a missile with a novak at 3.2 roll out and the motor comes off the track around 112 deg. Cant really tune with temp on these light 2wd cars.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #619
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cambridge, Ontario Canada
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
My car is a missile with a novak at 3.2 roll out and the motor comes off the track around 112 deg. Cant really tune with temp on these light 2wd cars.

DK
I assume that is 3.2 inches???

Which would be 80mm for the rest of the world, who has adopted the metric system!!!

Thanks for the info, what ESC are you running?

Grant
__________________
XRAY T3'12 17.5, Spec R R1 13.5, CRC GenXL, Grant Galloway Designs ( Painter )
lifeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #620
Tech Master
 
PartTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sterling hts MI
Posts: 1,029
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguy View Post
I assume that is 3.2 inches???

Which would be 80mm for the rest of the world, who has adopted the metric system!!!

Thanks for the info, what ESC are you running?

Grant
LRP sphere.

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #621
Moderator
 
Clegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside doing things in places... Denver, CO
Posts: 4,609
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

So tonight was the first run of the SMC pack with a 13.5 at the local track.

My car weighed in at 730 running a BMI12RR with a Novak 13.5 and a HK Voltage Booster running off the BEC on the Novak GTB.

The car ran STRONG all 8 minutes, no drop off, no dumping feeling. The car was so light on the tires that the traction didnt drop off at the end of the race. After ther qualifiers and race, I used 2680 mAh out of the pack.

I was running with 5 other 1/12ths running 4 cell 17.5. Some of the guys gave some flack about the speed the 13.5 had... it was a screamer down the straight. Fast time of the day (for all classes including 13.5 Rubber) was set by my BMI DB12RR at a 9.005, The average 5/10/20 laps were nearly a 1/2 second faster than anyone else in the class. The times from the 17.5's came in at fast laps of 9.4 as the closest one to me.

I had the TQ for the race by 8 seconds, but due to some traffic issues came in 3rd.

The car was easy to drive once setup, and gained a good deal of attention from everyone. I think this class will take off fast. But I do think it may be a bit too fast to run with the 4 cell 17.5's It just ate them up on the straights and how much speed was maintained through the corners. I may switch to running a taller gear on a 17.5 next week to see what that does... unfortunately... this chassis is so hooked up right now, I am afraid the Associated folks at the track are going to blame the LiPo and 13.5 for the speed instead of the chassis. With a 4 cell last week I bested everyone by .2 on the track for fast lap and beat by .5 in the averages.

I am selling my remaining 2 HK Voltage boosters to fellow racers to get some more people testing.

Attached is the setup sheet for the BMI that was run tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-liposetup.gif  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Joe-db12rr-setup-LiPo.pdf (151.9 KB, 110 views)
__________________
Joe Kelly - JK720.net
5280 Raceway |5280raceway.com | 5280 Raceway Facebook

Last edited by Clegg; 01-18-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #622
jrp
Tech Master
 
jrp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,606
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1S Lipo

Been running 1S Lipo/13.5 in my GenX with NO weight added. Car drives like crap... Skatey, darty, ... Curious what setup changes others have made on their cars to get them dialed in. I can turn quick laps, but car is a major handful to drive, and scrubs alot in the corners, thus falls off about .5 sec start to finish.

Tried going to softer front and rear springs. Verdict still out for me on setup...

???
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #623
Moderator
 
Clegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside doing things in places... Denver, CO
Posts: 4,609
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Been running 1S Lipo/13.5 in my GenX with NO weight added. Car drives like crap... Skatey, darty, ... Curious what setup changes others have made on their cars to get them dialed in. I can turn quick laps, but car is a major handful to drive, and scrubs alot in the corners, thus falls off about .5 sec start to finish.

Tried going to softer front and rear springs. Verdict still out for me on setup...

???
Dont know how to help with the GenX, but for my BMI i kept the front as I ran it for 4 cell on our track, and softened the rear only in side to side transition and kept it more or less the same for the center shock. Also kep the lipo mounted as far back as possible.

And try different tires, they made a world of difference for me. Lilac fr and Yellow rear.

Its hooked, fast, consistent and glides through corners with ease.
__________________
Joe Kelly - JK720.net
5280 Raceway |5280raceway.com | 5280 Raceway Facebook
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #624
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Been running 1S Lipo/13.5 in my GenX with NO weight added. Car drives like crap... Skatey, darty, ... Curious what setup changes others have made on their cars to get them dialed in. I can turn quick laps, but car is a major handful to drive, and scrubs alot in the corners, thus falls off about .5 sec start to finish.

Tried going to softer front and rear springs. Verdict still out for me on setup...

???
Try softer side springs and harder front tires.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #625
Tech Adept
 
level-4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 205
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to level-4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
So tonight was the first run of the SMC pack with a 13.5 at the local track.

My car weighed in at 730 running a BMI12RR with a Novak 13.5 and a HK Voltage Booster running off the BEC on the Novak GTB.

The car ran STRONG all 8 minutes, no drop off, no dumping feeling. The car was so light on the tires that the traction didnt drop off at the end of the race. After ther qualifiers and race, I used 2680 mAh out of the pack.

I was running with 5 other 1/12ths running 4 cell 17.5. Some of the guys gave some flack about the speed the 13.5 had... it was a screamer down the straight. Fast time of the day was set by my 1/12th at a 9.0, The average 5/10/20 laps were nearly a second faster than anyone else in the class. The times from the 17.5's came in at fast laps of 9.4 as the closest one to me.

I had the TQ for the race by 8 seconds, but due to some traffic issues came in 3rd.

THe car was easy to drive once setup, and gained a good deal of attention from everyone. I think this class will take off fast. But I do think it may be a bit too fast to run with the 4 cell 17.5's It just ate them up on the straights and how much speed was maintained through the corners. I may switch to running a taller gear on a 17.5 next week to see what that does... unfortunately... this chassis is so hooked up right now, I am afraid the Associated folks at the track are going to blame the LiPo and 13.5 for the speed instead of the chassis. With a 4 cell last week I bested everyone by .2 on the track for fast lap and beat by .5 in the averages.

I am selling my remaining 2 HK Voltage boosters to fellow racers to get some more people testing.

Attached is the setup sheet for the BMI that was run tonight.
can you post your set up, the pdf is giving an error when i try to open it.
thanks
__________________
X6 | X60 | SC10 | Ve8
level-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #626
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
uhh.. where have you been?
I feel the love . . .

Anyone besides JSA have experience with lipo in a 12R5?
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #627
Moderator
 
Clegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Outside doing things in places... Denver, CO
Posts: 4,609
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by level-4 View Post
can you post your set up, the pdf is giving an error when i try to open it.
thanks
Here is the Gif of the setup. I didnt want to re-type it all.
Attached Thumbnails
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-liposetup.gif  
__________________
Joe Kelly - JK720.net
5280 Raceway |5280raceway.com | 5280 Raceway Facebook
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #628
Tech Master
 
PartTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sterling hts MI
Posts: 1,029
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Been running 1S Lipo/13.5 in my GenX with NO weight added. Car drives like crap... Skatey, darty, ... Curious what setup changes others have made on their cars to get them dialed in. I can turn quick laps, but car is a major handful to drive, and scrubs alot in the corners, thus falls off about .5 sec start to finish.

Tried going to softer front and rear springs. Verdict still out for me on setup...

???
I have a crc V3 here, not gen x but some of it should carry over. Heres my setup.

Frt
spring asc .020
just a touch of droop so I know there not preloaded
7,000 lube on king pin
5deg reactive caster and a shim in frt and back on upper arm.
servo sitting flat BEHIND the linkage. Tie rods are dead stright frt back and up down. Took 2mm of bump steer spacer to get them level.

rear
blue side springs
7,000 in tubes (diffrent than yours)
crc red shock spring with 30wt oil
shock in long position

I race at two tracks. One has tons of traction and the other no so much.
High traction Black frt with gray rear
low traction lilac frt with pink rear

The car has good onpower steering but could use a touch more off power. Next time out gonna try moving front arm back for a little more caster. The car carries tons of corner speed !!!! On high traction the black grey combo really smoothed the car out and made it easy to drive.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.
DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #629
Tech Elite
 
PutAwayWet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,423
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I feel the love . . .

Anyone besides JSA have experience with lipo in a 12R5?
I'm running lipo/13.5 in my R5 now.

Jaco Dbl Pinks 45/43mm (I start 'em fat and run 'em down for club racing)
CA'd front sidewalls
Jack
0.18 front springs
1 mm droop
CRC white lube on the pins
blue center spring
30wt center, 20wt side
green side springs
4.5 mm ride height
740g full up
LRP Sphere TC w/fins dremeled off
160 mah RX pack

One thing that has made a big difference is that I mounted my body (Proto 12) about 5mm forward. Getting more downforce over the the nose has really helped lock it in. Before, the nose would lighten up and the car would go straight when I wanted to turn. Not just push, but straight. Our track is a little bumpy, so my car may be softer than some other guys are running.

It's been working really well, and it's definitely faster than 17.5 4 cell. I think we'll see the lipo and 4 cell times getting closer and closer. I'm really gearing it up--like a 17.5, basically--and it keeps calling for more.
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 AM   #630
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
I'm running lipo/13.5 in my R5 now.

Jaco Dbl Pinks 45/43mm (I start 'em fat and run 'em down for club racing)
CA'd front sidewalls
Jack
0.18 front springs
1 mm droop
CRC white lube on the pins
blue center spring
30wt center, 20wt side
green side springs
4.5 mm ride height
740g full up
LRP Sphere TC w/fins dremeled off
160 mah RX pack

One thing that has made a big difference is that I mounted my body (Proto 12) about 5mm forward. Getting more downforce over the the nose has really helped lock it in. Before, the nose would lighten up and the car would go straight when I wanted to turn. Not just push, but straight. Our track is a little bumpy, so my car may be softer than some other guys are running.

It's been working really well, and it's definitely faster than 17.5 4 cell. I think we'll see the lipo and 4 cell times getting closer and closer. I'm really gearing it up--like a 17.5, basically--and it keeps calling for more.
Thanks . . .What kinda grip carpet are you running on? Where do the Dbl pink rears fall in terms of grip in Jacos line up? I can't find 'em on Jacos site.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The future of 1/12 scale Roland S Electric On-Road 1004 06-16-2017 02:04 PM
SMC 5700mAh 25C Single Cell Lipo Danny/SMC Electric On-Road 352 05-14-2009 04:03 AM
Trackside 1/12th scale racing Ike Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 41 03-31-2009 11:42 AM
ROAR 1/12 weight limit miller tyme Electric On-Road 171 01-09-2009 04:14 PM
Why choose LiPo? wingman2 Electric On-Road 16 12-17-2008 06:51 PM
1/12 lipo the mighty thor Electric On-Road 7 12-07-2008 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:59 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net