R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #586
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
Wow. Sounds more like 4 or 5 cents with all those complaints. LOL
Yeah, it obviously ain't perfect for everyone yet.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #587
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
On the wire qage issue, wire does offer some resistance. In slot cars they run what they call chokes, its really a low ohm resistor made up of X feet of 18 gage wire. The result is a slight voltage reduction under the initial acceleration, which then goes to almost nothing as you reach top speed. Since the Voltage drop = I (current amps)X R (resistance ohms). On super high amp draw motors it also limits the max current to help the motors live.

Here are the acutal resistance of standard wires in Ohms per 1000 ft: 18 ga=6.5, 16 ga= 4, 14ga= 2.5, 12ga=1.6, 10ga=1

John
Reluctance is not included in those measurements . only from resistance not coiled up. the choak u get from coiling the wire adds reluctance and increases that value which you were measuring in those slot cars . but remember also you used to use an amazingly long piece of wire compared to what we use on oue esc's. But yes I understand what you mean. Also please note that the amount of strands effects the resistance not only the flexibility.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #588
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The wire that comes on this pack is 14 AWG wire, not 12. Its reather stiff and with an extra layer of heat shrink makes it pretty much usless in a 12 scale as far as I see it. Love the pack otherwise.

Danny, how many cycles to get these packs to break in? And how many cycles in a day can they handle before falling off?

DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #589
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
So options are to run a receiver pack(yuck) or a booster unit (something else to deal with) or sacrifice the servo speed and go back to a normal setup. For those that are running speedos with no booster or receiver pack, the steering servo is only seeing 3.5V or so. If this is acceptable we can adjust our unit to work with no additional things needed also. We are still watching how this plays out and what everyone wants. It is currently engineered to maximize performance with 4cell. We are on the track today looking at it and making the adjustments.

Slower servo is acceptable?

With our current suggestion of using a receiver pack or booster and leaving our red wire in and power switch off, we are getting all the power possible to the motor. As long as we can still get all the power this is an easier solution for spec motors. If we get to faster motors and start using more of the battery capacity in a race I think a receiver or booster will be needed to get it all. We have run a 2.5turn in a 1/10 TC with the single cell and it is pretty impressive. We will see how the battery liked it over time. I can also see 1S with a 13.5 or 17.5 in a TC being the speed real beginner stock should be.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Josh Keller; 09-26-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Josh Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #590
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred kellner View Post
Why would we want to go slower than 4 cell 17.5?
I'll tell you exactly why we need to go slower in 17.5 12th scale. 12th desperately needs to get new racers to start running. It's a major problem when the slowest class it too fast for new racers. And it is. A stock class that's a reasonable speed is exactly what I think 12th needs.

If people want to go faster then maybe they should be running something other than the slowest class we have.

On the wire thing, it's not just onroad 12th people running this pack. I just soldered on female bullet connectors. Not a big deal.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #591

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

1/12th is the slowest class at your track?

at our track with 4 cell/17.5 the cars are on pace or .3 sec off the prace of 13.5 rubber sedans. And we have a handful of people who want to move the class to 13.5/4cell because they want more of a challenge.

I dont think 17.5/4 Cell is too fast. I think the class itself is a fast class. If you want slower, maybe run VTA? 1/12th is supposed to be pretty fast. The kits are expensive, the electronics are expensive, the tires are expensive, weight is everything - its a racing class. It's deffinitely not a newbie class.

But then again... I got into 1/12th Mod from running Nitro sedan. the 1.12th mod was the first electric I ran - I found it to be a good challenge. And think todays 17.5/4cell is a good pace. Enough to make you sweat a little in a tight race, and slow enough so that you dont smoke the tires in a few runs and you dont bust parts every race.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #592
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

17.5 and a single cell.... 730 grams
done!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #593
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
The wire that comes on this pack is 14 AWG wire, not 12. Its reather stiff and with an extra layer of heat shrink makes it pretty much usless in a 12 scale as far as I see it. Love the pack otherwise.

Danny, how many cycles to get these packs to break in? And how many cycles in a day can they handle before falling off?

DK
The wire is fine and we put a protective clear shrink to help the wires from getting cut and shorting out.

Lipo should not take any amount of cycles to break in. You can run Lipos as many times per day wihout any drop off.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #594
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Novak has the new 1s booster listed on their website. It's scheduled to be realeased later next month. Looks like this booster should help solve some issues people are having with running the single cell pack.

www.teamnovak.com
cla5675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #595
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla5675 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Novak has the new 1s booster listed on their website. It's scheduled to be realeased later next month. Looks like this booster should help solve some issues people are having with running the single cell pack.

www.teamnovak.com
Donny Lia at 360 has been running the prototype and has had very good success with it.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #596

I'd be curious if it is really that much better than the HobbyKing one that costs $4.50 or so. The HK booster is only up to 5v but still gets the job done.

regardless I'll probably buy a novak one down the road to give it a test.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #597
Tech Master

Quote:

www.teamnovak.com
Kick ass man.. thats more what I was looking for . ty for the link and ty Novak for doin' it right!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #598
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I hear ya', John!! I know the Novak booster is more expensive then some others currently on the market, but I like the fact this booster is "purpose built" for our application. I can't wait to hear some reviews of the production version!!
cla5675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #599

Quote:
I hear ya', John!! I know the Novak booster is more expensive then some others currently on the market, but I like the fact this booster is "purpose built" for our application. I can't wait to hear some reviews of the production version!!
To be clear, the HobbyKing version is also purpose built for 1 cell LiPo operation of a Rx, Servo etc... Its just limited to half the amperage, and looks to be 1/2 the size and probably lighter. Not to mention 8x cheaper.

But as I said, I'll probably buy one down the road if I end up killing another HK booster, but I dont see a need right now as this lil 4 - 5$ booster is rocking quite nicely (just so long as you dont short it out lik I did on my first one ) And the fact the HK booster is available now and not 1.5 months out still, thats something to keep in mind also. If you want to run LiPo with a booster in the next month and a half you have really only one option.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #600
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
I'd be curious if it is really that much better than the HobbyKing one that costs $4.50 or so. The HK booster is only up to 5v but still gets the job done.

regardless I'll probably buy a novak one down the road to give it a test.

If Bob Novak designed it you know it's over engineered.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote