R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #541

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So after tonights 4 cell race I threw in the SMC lipo and the Voltage booster from hobbyking wiht the 17.5 and still setup for 4 cell in my DB12RR. (same pinion also)

The car was pointy and twitchy, but nearly as fast as the 4 cell. The fast lap was 4/10ths slower than the 4 cell times. With some more teeth on the spur I could probably cut that down to 3/10ths or 2/10ths. Pretty impressive.

I was running the booster by just taping off the BEC line from the ESC and boosting it into the Rx. The Novak GTB had no issue for over 8 minutes!

The motor was luke warm and the ESC was cold as was the voltage booster.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #542
Tech Rookie

I race single cell on a oval and used no receiver pack or boosters. I've been running it for two weeks and no problems.
dragwrxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #543
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

A question for thous using this lipo. Will personal transponders still work with out a receiver pack or booster?

-=light=-
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #544
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by light View Post
A question for thous using this lipo. Will personal transponders still work with out a receiver pack or booster?

-=light=-
The cloned transponders should work but an AMB transponder won't. I've had problems with 4 cells and AMB personals.

It's going to take a little time to figure out what works for each combination. I know that my Novak is slower unless I power it with a receiver pack. It works with just the single cell but it is slower.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #545
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The cloned transponders should work but an AMB transponder won't. I've had problems with 4 cells and AMB personals.

It's going to take a little time to figure out what works for each combination. I know that my Novak is slower unless I power it with a receiver pack. It works with just the single cell but it is slower.
We've got two guys running at my track with 1C lipo, no reciever pack or booster and they haven't had a prob counting with an amb transponder. This is with the novak speedo. Granted it may be a freak thing that it works ok with this setup but I just figured I'd post it in case someone wanted to give it a shot as well.

Thanks
360rcspeedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #546
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Like Donny said, I run mine with no receiver pack nor booster, and my Rev.5 has no problem what so ever..... 2 straight weekends and it counts fine, runs great,....... even after the 8 min. mark.

My set-up is the same for my 4-cell runs...... Pretty much run the same for both confirguations. In my Speed Merchant car, I run the Novak 4-cell BL Speedo, Specktum Micro Receiver W/ Cap, JR Mini Servo........Jaco Liliacs Front/Yellow Rear.......Red center spring, .020 in the front and.023 on the sides, TQ Sensor cable and wires, 13.5 DUO BL Motor...... Car is dialed and lots of fun to drive. No wear on the tires and I can go for weeks on a single set. The car does not tweek.......... Tires can be chuncked just a little bit and no ill affects.

The car runs with everything working properly. Never had problems with skipping lap counting and the car has plenty of punch. At the end of the runs, I'm usually 1 to 2 tenths off my good lap times early on my run. Motor and speedo are never very hot and the motor is lupe warm after a run.

This set-up is growing every week at our track and bringing in new drivers. One battery all day and you have the chargers already for your sedans. Buy a set of tires and a body and your ready to go........Oh and BTW, the CRC Black Art Body is dialed in that car. Another body that works good for me is the proto 12....... Good everywhere I go.

..........Bottom line Guys, you need these batteries in stock at your local track. Cars handle real nice(including you T-Bar owners) and the wear is huge on these cars. At first it felt "lite on it's feet" but with testing bodies, gearing and tires combo, it simply feels awesome to drive. At the end of my runs, I dust it off with a air compressor, charge the battery and chill with your friends.

Some Guys at this weekend's Grand Slam Race at 360 will see our 1c cars run and they can check back here with what they witnessed. We'll have some footage of some of our runs on video real soon and post them here.......... So stay tuned.........

.............Hope this helps out anyone..........Enjoy!!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #547
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So what are you guys at 360 doing with respect to running 1S Lipo/13.5 with 4Cell/NiMh/17..5 cars ?

Are you making it a separate class ?

If not, are you making the 1SLipo cars add weight ?

We have a few 1S Lipos running at our local track and we are trying to decide how to keep it fair for everyone, and run both together. So far the 1S Lipo is reasonable close to the 17.5 NiMh, based upon the racing results from the fastest drivers. But we really haven't worked hard to get the most out of the Lipo setup. We are currently adding about 3 extra ozs to the Lipo cars. That doesn't fully bring them up to the same as a NiMh car, but it gets them part of the way.

Not looking for opinions on why it should be one way or the other, just curious what your doing at 360 at the moment.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #548
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
So what are you guys at 360 doing with respect to running 1S Lipo/13.5 with 4Cell/NiMh/17..5 cars ?

Are you making it a separate class ?

If not, are you making the 1SLipo cars add weight ?

We have a few 1S Lipos running at our local track and we are trying to decide how to keep it fair for everyone, and run both together. So far the 1S Lipo is reasonable close to the 17.5 NiMh, based upon the racing results from the fastest drivers. But we really haven't worked hard to get the most out of the Lipo setup. We are currently adding about 3 extra ozs to the Lipo cars. That doesn't fully bring them up to the same as a NiMh car, but it gets them part of the way.

Not looking for opinions on why it should be one way or the other, just curious what your doing at 360 at the moment.

Ive been racing with guys running 13.5 and a 1 c lipo and ive been running the 4 cell and 17.5. I cant see why the 13.5 cars should have to make the same weight . In fact , most of us are goint to make the transition to the lipo setup 'cause of the fact that maintaining round cells sucks donkey meat. lol and well, the 13.5 cars do need to add some weight but only to get the rear end working properly. Lets just go ahead and rewrite the rules ourselves. If we have to wait for ROAR to tell us what to do our cars will collect too much dust from sitting on the shelf. Personally I'd like to see a 1 cell mod class at our track. HINT HINT !
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #549
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360rcspeedway View Post
We've got two guys running at my track with 1C lipo, no reciever pack or booster and they haven't had a prob counting with an amb transponder. This is with the novak speedo. Granted it may be a freak thing that it works ok with this setup but I just figured I'd post it in case someone wanted to give it a shot as well.

Thanks
Might be a change to the transponders also. Mine's from one of the first batches back in the day. It had problems if the loop was at a spot where you were accelerating hard. If the loop was at the end of the straight where the draw was lower it was fine.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #550
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ok, finally got my car the way I like it. Will have to see how it does tomorrow at the race but I got the wiring cleaned up as best as I can.

First, what is with the super stiff monster wire ?!?!? This stuff is soo stiff that i had the pack taped in the car last night and when I got up this morning it pushed the RX off the servo tape holding it on !!!! Yes I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out how to get all the wiring clean, no luck I guess. See pic.

Next, Im pretty sure that most of the cars out there have the battery slots cut so that you just need to break the edge and the cells fit flush with the bottom. Why would you make the bumps on the bottom for the old chassis that needed to be filed to fit flush ??? The pack just floats side to side. Have to figure that out with out adding weight or making it ugly.

DK
Attached Thumbnails
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-picture-098.jpg   SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-picture-099.jpg   SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-picture-100.jpg  
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
Ok, finally got my car the way I like it. Will have to see how it does tomorrow at the race but I got the wiring cleaned up as best as I can.

First, what is with the super stiff monster wire ?!?!? This stuff is soo stiff that i had the pack taped in the car last night and when I got up this morning it pushed the RX off the servo tape holding it on !!!! Yes I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out how to get all the wiring clean, no luck I guess. See pic.

Next, Im pretty sure that most of the cars out there have the battery slots cut so that you just need to break the edge and the cells fit flush with the bottom. Why would you make the bumps on the bottom for the old chassis that needed to be filed to fit flush ??? The pack just floats side to side. Have to figure that out with out adding weight or making it ugly.

DK

HEY DANNY ! LOOK AT HOW SWEET THE BARREL CONNECTORS ARE ON ONE OF YOUR PACKS > THIS GUY KNOW WHAT HE LIKES BUT STILL HAS TO TAKE HIS PANTS OF AND JACKET> IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN>>> probably not tho

Last edited by John St.Amant; 01-13-2009 at 05:44 PM.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #552
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Soft wire

Quote:
First, what is with the super stiff monster wire ?!?!? This stuff is soo stiff that i had the pack taped in the car last night and when I got up this morning it pushed the RX off the servo tape holding it on !!!! Yes I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out how to get all the wiring clean, no luck I guess. See pic.DK
Look at http://www.tqracing.com/rc_products.htm

Last edited by lidebt2; 01-13-2009 at 06:48 PM.
lidebt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #553

Quote:

DK

the barrel connectors look damn nice on that pack... hmmm I may have to do that.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #554

So I did some hacking on my SMC cell to make it more useful. I cracked it open and removed the 12GA monster wire from the cell and replaced it with 16GA that is running on my car already. Nice, light, and flexible. I then ran the new wire around the front and to the top where I soldered them to Trinity Barrel connectors and zip tied those to the top of the battery (carving away some of the inside foam so the zip ties didnt encroach on the battery cells)

Looks good and seems pretty stable and easy to work on.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

But I did have an issue tonight with the Hobby King Voltage Booster.

I have it installed so its pulling directly from the battery. Then I have its own switch. I have my Novak GTB plugged directly into the rx. Leaving the ESC switch off and turning the Voltage booster on, everything comes to life as expected. So I was just playing around with the car and I noticed the voltage booster was getting hot... very hot.

So I pulled the red wire going to the ESC thinking it was trying to back flow power to the drive components. No change, the Voltage booster was still running quite hot. Only change was that instead of feeding the voltage booster off the BEC from the ESC in this case I was feeding it off the battery directly.

Any thoughts/ideas?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #555
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The wire on the single cell is 14 gauge not 12 gauge. I know 12th scale racers like 16 gauge wire but this pack is also being used in Oval and they use 12 gauge so we made the wire 14 gauge.

I never understood why 12th scalers use 16 gauge wire as this limits the voltage under load.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote