R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #451

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The chemistry of LiPo's dictate the voltage, not development dollars. 3.7 is how it is. You'd think that with all the development money put into NiMH they'd be at 1.5v by now if chemistry wasnt the limiting factor, but its the same deal. its 3.7v today and LiPo cells will be 3.7v tomorrow
Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #452
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER View Post
if you love t bar there is no need for a saddle... iwill have these cars at the grand slam race .........bgi phil
Phil,

what would you say are the differences between running a NIMH 17.5 at 850 or so and the LiPO 13.5 at 688?

Not having driven one, I'm really curious about that...
\
D

Last edited by Trips; 12-31-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #453
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
The chemistry of LiPo's dictate the voltage, not development dollars. 3.7 is how it is. You'd think that with all the development money put into NiMH they'd be at 1.5v by now if chemistry wasnt the limiting factor, but its the same deal. its 3.7v today and LiPo cells will be 3.7v tomorrow
Maybe there will be a different chemisrty?

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #454

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague View Post
Maybe there will be a different chemisrty?

Yeh... then it wont be LiPo, it would be a different battery, differnet charging, and different drama in the R/C world... err maybe the same drama as every technology change brings.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #455
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFND7 View Post
One of the other racers was running 13.5/single cell without a receiver pack or booster, so I plugged in a 13.5/single cell for the next round. I had no radio issues of any kind, and runtime was no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts View Post
Also had no problems without the receiver pack. GenX, f9650, GTB, and 13.5; 720g. Loved using a battery that put out the same power all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts View Post
the Spektrum micro receiver. KO is also known to be good. ESC bec maybe a factor as well. Anyway GTB and spetrum micro is fine.

You run Futaba John?
This is encouraging news, but there's NO way I'm believing for a minute the servo speed (and torque) hasn't fallen off. Not sure if this is a problem or not, I guess, as it sounds like the lap times are in a very similar ballpark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Finally, you say looks aren't worth considering? Most race cars, r/c or full scale have paint on them. Why is that? Please don't imply that there's something wrong with me for caring how my car looks. If the "these are race cars, not show cars" statement were true, how do you explain all the custom body painters out there? Just because you may not care about looks, then looks aren't worth considering?
Uh...because if the body's painted no one can see how you've mounted anything on the chassis?

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #456
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
1) Weight distribution. The weight distribution of the t-bar car with the lipo on one side and electronics on the other must be off quite a bit which is going to affect handling.

2) The saddle pack will work with current 1:12 and 1:10 t-bar chassis designs.

3) Because there is a demand for it.

So you tried this or you assume that the weight distribution can't be the same ?

Were not against making a saddle pack but at this moment it will not happen as we need to see what will happen with the rules.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #457
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC View Post
So you tried this or you assume that the weight distribution can't be the same ?

Were not against making a saddle pack but at this moment it will not happen as we need to see what will happen with the rules.
I didn't try it. I added up all the weight of the components and determined it wouldn't work. However, looking back I didn't take the steering servo weight into account. Personally, I want a saddle pack because it will work with my t-bar car without having to make lots of changes if any. I can tape them in and go. Plus, I think it would make a lot of t-bar car companies happy.

I wouldn't do anything either until more rules come out. But I'm just afraid that will be too late. I mean I think you've pretty much set the standard by being the first with your 25C 3.7v 4000mah Single Cell LiPO. Wouldn't you just be setting the standard again with the saddle pack?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #458
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It would be nice to set the standard but the 3500.00 dollar cost is hard to justify at the moment. Sometimes it's better to sit back and see what will happen. ROAR is suppose to use our current pack to freeze the case size. If this is happens we will see what they will allow for a saddle and may do it.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #459
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Yeh... then it wont be LiPo, it would be a different battery, differnet charging, and different drama in the R/C world... err maybe the same drama as every technology change brings.
Truer words are seldom spoken my good man.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #460
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
For anyone who is concerned about weight distribution... it's not the issue. Phil's tbar car balances fine with the single cell pack on one side and the rest of the electronics on the other.

My concern is mainly having to rearrange and rewire every time I race depending on the rules of the event... We're running a points series at 360, the LiPo cars will not be eligible for points so on points days I'd want to run NIMH... January Jam at RC Madness, NIMH only, club races, LiPO... Northeast Grand Slam NIMH... the saddle pack would make life MUCH easier.

Quote:
THIS is some encouraging news. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #461
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
It would be nice to set the standard but the 3500.00 dollar cost is hard to justify at the moment. Sometimes it's better to sit back and see what will happen. ROAR is suppose to use our current pack to freeze the case size. If this is happens we will see what they will allow for a saddle and may do it.
I'm with you! If/when you sell them I'll be first in line!!
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #462
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

TEKIN RS PRO - has anyone gotten it to run for 8 minutes WITHOUT a rx pack?

I am able to get my SpeedPassion to run about 9 minutes without a rx pack, straight 1 cell lipo power.

I ask because I just purchased a new Tekin RS PRO and would like to give it try.
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #463
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Welp, I wired up the Tekin as standard connection and the damn thing doesn't even power up. Yes, neg is to neg and pos is to pos. Tried different packs, absolutely nothing.

RS PRO is DOA. Kind of disappointing, put my SpeedPassion back in and works like a charm.

TeamTekin - you want me to take this thing back to the LHS or do you want to send me a shipping label so you can send a NEW replacement, not refurb. I just bought the combo kit yesterday.
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #464
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

What, exactly, do I need to purchase with my 1S lipo to take voltage back up to 5.5-6v for my receiver/servo? I'm interested in a "boost" solution, NOT a receiver pack.

Thanks.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #465
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

boot all u want .. Ill run my flight pack,, thanks
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote