Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Please tell me why there needs to be a saddle pack when the current pack has already proven that it works in T-Plate cars ?

If you say it's because of looks that is not a reason that is worth considering. These are race cars not show cars.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help, I need it.

Originally Posted by 360rcspeedway
Hi
Yes I have run the 1c lipo with the 1.89 software in a Tekin RS and it runs great. My setup was full timing (30) sensored only mode, with the motor timing at 0.

Your setup sounds good but you will need to run the red wire IN, not out. And turn the car on with the reciever pack, not the speedo. Again make sure you leave the speedo switch in the OFF position when you run the car.

Thats the way I've been running it and have not had an issue.
I hope this helps!
Donny
ps-start with 42/76 with 1.75 tire for track your size.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Please tell me why there needs to be a saddle pack when the current pack has already proven that it works in T-Plate cars ?

If you say it's because of looks that is not a reason that is worth considering. These are race cars not show cars.
1) Weight distribution. The weight distribution of the t-bar car with the lipo on one side and electronics on the other must be off quite a bit which is going to affect handling.

2) The saddle pack will work with current 1:12 and 1:10 t-bar chassis designs.

3) Because there is a demand for it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got a new Smc 3.7v LiPo and am having trouble charging it on my GFX. Keep getting a low voltage error. What are you guys using a GFX setting for max charge rate and max charge secs.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Make sure you have it set to 1 cell, not 2 cell
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apex
3) Because there is a demand for it.
Yes but how much demand?

For several years the link cars have dominated 1/12. It's only recently the t-plate cars are making a comeback.

Danny does a good job, but SMC is not some huge conglomerate. He can't just snap his fingers and make a new product available. He has this pack available, and it hasn't been universally accepted yet. Remember ROAR will have to come up with a new set of rules for this battery, and before the discussion has even started you want to introduce something else.

Patience my friend, this is gonna take time.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Apex;5226600]1) Weight distribution. The weight distribution of the t-bar car with the lipo on one side and electronics on the other must be off quite a bit which is going to affect handling.

This is not an issue at all, i have seen phils car run and i have seen his car on balance buttons, balance and handling are not a problem.

Sean
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
Yes but how much demand?

For several years the link cars have dominated 1/12. It's only recently the t-plate cars are making a comeback.

Danny does a good job, but SMC is not some huge conglomerate. He can't just snap his fingers and make a new product available. He has this pack available, and it hasn't been universally accepted yet. Remember ROAR will have to come up with a new set of rules for this battery, and before the discussion has even started you want to introduce something else.

Patience my friend, this is gonna take time.
I'm not expecting SMC to make a 3.7v saddle pack anytime soon especially when there aren't any rules yet. I'm just saying that I will buy some when they are made by any manufacturer.

[quote=Sean Powers;5226892]
Originally Posted by Apex
1) Weight distribution. The weight distribution of the t-bar car with the lipo on one side and electronics on the other must be off quite a bit which is going to affect handling.

This is not an issue at all, i have seen phils car run and i have seen his car on balance buttons, balance and handling are not a problem.

Sean
Are you sure he didn't have to add weight to the electronics side? With LiPO, most likely 1:12 scale minimum weight is going to drop which will make it even harder to balance a t-bar car with a 1 cell LiPO.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveL
Just another vote for a saddle pack design.

If the cars cut ties with the NiMH past then the cost could be cheaper and the performance better in the long run. I would think simple brick pack it would be hard for a single car manufacutre to create a class killer car that would smoke all the rest. With a single brick design, the results could be very close competition. A single pack would prevent any confusion in rules and allow manufactures to design a dedicated LiPO/BL car.

On a side Note

I really hope the IIC, Birds and other big U.S events will add 1:12 13.5 Lipo and WGT 13.5 Lipo to the mix along with WGT Spec and 1:12 17.5 4-cell.

If sedans can have seperate classes for foam or rubber tires, then maybe 1:12 could have seperate classes for LiPO or NiMH.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi guys i am responding to everyone who has the weight balance of the t bar issue............i had the caron the pins today and with positioning of receiver the car is balanced ..........sunday i beleive my best laps were only off 2 tenths of what donnie lia runs ......and he is a national champ.......i put another t bar car together today i will be installind the battery tomarrow.....i will post more on this ....danny from smc did a great job with this cell i want to test with 10.5 with this car............i will send a pic to donnie to post for me tomarrow..........if you love t bar there is no need for a saddle............................................ .................................................. ........................iwill have these cars at the grand slam race .........bgi phil
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have added no weight to this car in pic on post #410 .......weight is 688 grams.....heavy body.........it is an original 1st design t fource lite chassis......
Old 12-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JACK HAMMER
i have added no weight to this car in pic on post #410 .......weight is 688 grams.....heavy body.........it is an original 1st design t fource lite chassis......
Thanks for clarifying.

1:12 going fully LiPO is still a year or so out and a lot of things can happen until then. I'm sure some LiPO company will offer a saddle pack eventually.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 360rcspeedway
Hi
Heres a pic of a 1 cell lipo in a t bar car. This guy is one of the faster 1/12th racers at the track and this car is working really good configured this way. Seems like it will work in a T bar car.
Gotta appreciate the nice, short wire runs in the T bar car set up. Nice work.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC

Right now I have to race against single cell LiPO at up to a 200gram disadvantage. I run a t-bar car. The only track I race at that allows the 3.7 LiPO is 360 Speedway. We have a Grand Slam series race coming up this month where the 3.7 will NOT be legal. Everyone who runs 1/12 will have to run NIMH.

No problem for the link cars, just take out the 3.7 and drop in a 4 cell stick.

For me, it'll be a case of remove the brick, then tear all my electronics off the car, then rewire the car for the new layout. Soon as that race is over, I can tear all the electronics out again and rewire the car for the brick. Not so bad for a one time thing, but any time I race at a different track, it's time to tear out the electronics ands rewire the car two more times.

If I'm racing at 360, for that matter, and something happens to my 3.7 brick I have to fall back to NIMH to finish the day. Again, tear out all the electronics and rewire the car between rounds. Not an issue for the link cars, just swap packs and go... change some springs. Not a whole reinstall of the electronics.

Or I could buy two bricks to have a backup... but we don't even know how things will shake out with ROAR yet... I'm pretty sure it'll go the way of the 3.7 pack, but it's not set in stone yet. I'd sure hate to buy two of these packs only to find out that ROAR comes up with a different formula... Some of my buddies went through that with the brushless changeover... My friend bought some 13.5's to run in stock class. Before he even got to race it, ROAR decided to change the rule to 17.5. 360 adopted the 17.5 formuala right away and his new 13.5.s were expensive paperweights. I don't want to go through that.

You said at one point (may have been another thread) that you expected your first run of the 3.7 packs would be good for a year, and then they all sold out rather quickly. Why are you so sure it won't be the case for a saddle pack version?

I see plenty of new t-bar cars coming on the market... Serpent, Xray, Corally, HB, all t-bar cars. The full throttle and team Kwik cars are t-bar cars. The FF07, t-bar. IRS rugrat, Powell, OD12, t-bars.

Finally, you say looks aren't worth considering? Most race cars, r/c or full scale have paint on them. Why is that? Please don't imply that there's something wrong with me for caring how my car looks. If the "these are race cars, not show cars" statement were true, how do you explain all the custom body painters out there? Just because you may not care about looks, then looks aren't worth considering?

Last edited by Trips; 12-30-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Three of the local guys have been running lipo and 13.5 against my old brushed 27t and all of the 17.5/Nimh and all the lap times are pretty close. (All within .01-.02/lap) It really boils down to who runs the cleanest for 8 minutes as it should be. 17.5/lipo is light going to a gun fight with a knife though.

I think it's great that Danny is leading the way for lipo in 12th scale and inveriably, lipo will probably be the batteries of choice within a year. Someone out there will be doing a saddle pack version at some point as the market obviously has enough t-bar cars to support it. The only car I would consider running right now other than a t-bar car is the BMI, but I've not had the chance to test one. I plan on holding out until all this shakes out and there are some diffinitive rules established. Having been in the R/C business before, I completly understand Danny's hesitance to throw a bunch of development money at something that is not widely accepted yet. Heck, within 12 months we could see 4.8v lipo's and all of this will be moot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.