R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Saddle Pack TC owners, show yourselves, its time for a comeback.

So all you guys still having that old Pro TC from 10 - 8 years ago, its time to dust them off the shelves and bring them back into action. You guys with HPI RS4 Pro2s, X Ray T1s, RC lab 7-7, speedmind Daytona, Tamiya Ta04, TRF414,Kawada Alcyons, Losi Street weapons...Now is the time for you to shine, you can use brushless Motors and lipo batteries without needing to add any weight, and you can shift the weight of the battery around, forward for more steering, or rearward for more rear traction. i have tried it on my kawada alcyon2, and it works awesome!! still corners really well, very consistent, and lots of traction. must be the center mounted motor. though the CG is abit high, this old saddle pack layout still works great. a friend of mine recently dusted off his old Xray T1 (he always drives a HB cyclone nowdays) and he was amazed at how well it cornered. So you saddle pack car owners, show yourselves and let us all know how you are doing with these good oldies.

alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm still running an HPI Pro 2 with the saddle pack configuration. In two years of racing, I have yet to break a part. *knock on wood* The hub carriers are much beefier than the new cars. I just ordered a saddle pack lipo last week, so I'll see how that works out.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
I'm still running an HPI Pro 2 with the saddle pack configuration. In two years of racing, I have yet to break a part. *knock on wood* The hub carriers are much beefier than the new cars. I just ordered a saddle pack lipo last week, so I'll see how that works out.
yep, heard a lot of great stuff about the pro 2 being really strong, also in my opinion, it was the pro2 that really made HPI really popular back in 1999-2001.
So how is the car handling compared to todays cars, motor on left battery on right?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
...you can shift the weight of the battery around, forward for more steering, or rearward for more rear traction.
I think CG adjustment is a very overlooked tuning method, but I suggest that using a forward CG position generally won't give more steering. Rather it could be used to improve the stability of a car that may otherwise oversteer or be difficult to drive on low grip track conditions. Moving the CG back will reduce the stability and give more steering.
UniRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRacer View Post
I think CG adjustment is a very overlooked tuning method, but I suggest that using a forward CG position generally won't give more steering. Rather it could be used to improve the stability of a car that may otherwise oversteer or be difficult to drive on low grip track conditions. Moving the CG back will reduce the stability and give more steering.
hmm, i will give it a try...thanks !!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
yep, heard a lot of great stuff about the pro 2 being really strong, also in my opinion, it was the pro2 that really made HPI really popular back in 1999-2001.
So how is the car handling compared to todays cars, motor on left battery on right?
I think it handles really well. Seems nice and balanced.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Here's my HPI Pro 2 with lipo saddle packs.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd like to think saddle packs are going to make a comeback in this class. I'm running a Kawada SV-10 Alcyon on a weekly basis, but I'm still running round cells to my great weight disadvantage the balance of the car is outstanding left to right, but the extra weight in a 19turn/13.5 class keeps it from holding the corners tight with the speed up, which was actually something I remember about the car from when I first raced it in 1999 or so - those NEW TC3's were holding speed on a tighter line in stock (27t) class.

I've tried a stick lipo in the car, but it put the weight too far to the sides for my taste (not to mention hanging over the sides of the chasis!). The UK seems to have some really good saddle pack lipo's available to them in hardcase with a high C rating that will fit in the stock location, unlike what I've been able to find in the states (ROAR approved).

Here's my tricked-out saddle-slinging TC entry
Attached Thumbnails
Saddle Pack TC owners, show yourselves, its time for a comeback.-img_7472s.jpg  

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Thirtybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The HPI pro, pro2, even the SPORT and SPORT2 were some of the best cars. And good balence, good feel, nice high speed turns.

Simply a blast to drive back in the day
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I still do drive a saddle pack losi weapon. It still runs great, but I haven't tackled brushless quite yet. I can still keep up with people with my brushed. I let them make the mistakes and just drive on by.
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Funny i had though about this recently, take the suspension setup from a current touring car and add it to a chassis which used the old motor in the middle, high layshaft and saddle packs chassis. Near perfect left/right balance right out of the box but with a spool and modern suspension geometry they should go like a rocket. Having a layshaft and spur above the motor level shouldnt effect cg a great deal as they are fairly light in weight.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rctouringracer

Sounds like I may have to pull my TRF 414 M2 out off the shelf and update the monster!
rctouringracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just retrieved my old(90's?)kyosho t2 from the basement boxes.Still had a p2k in it-loll- Put a 3800 lipo in it and--Wow I like---Don't plan on anything more than a 17.5 cause I'm afraid of the belts --I understand belts for these cars are non-existant-too bad as I really like the way this thing corners.And light too-meaning virtually no tire wear(28r's)no tire dust anywhere after3-4 hard runs.I will be racing this car this weekend in 17.5/27t am anxious to see the results.
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

My XRay T1FK "004"

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)