R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Airtronics M8 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/2539-airtronics-m8.html)

BHenderson 01-18-2002 04:37 PM

Airtronics M8

Ive got a question.

I have an Airtronics M8 with only one channel. Is it necessary to buy more modules or can i simply remove the crystal cover on the back and just replace the crystal. Im asking this because of what I saw on tower hobbies:

Replacement module allows the transmitter frequency to be changed easily without retuning.

Crystal is pre-installed (channel 61-90)

The last thing I want to do is dmg my current module. Has somebody tried to replace just the crystal, if so did it hurt anything??

antoniop 01-18-2002 04:47 PM

You can just buy more pairs of crystals.

I assume you don't race because you would need two pairs of crystals. Your main frequency and one alternative (at least) just in case you frequency colides with another racer.

It's very very common to change crystals (on the pistol and on the receiver, of course).

As long as you handle them with care no harm will be done.

BHenderson 01-18-2002 04:57 PM

well why would someone buy just a module then? And also why is it such a pain to get the crystal cover off the back of the M8. Does anyone know if Airtronics will be coming out with a synthesied module like hitec did so that it works with the Novak XXtra receiver??

Just Curious

PeterC 01-18-2002 08:21 PM

I remember reading somewhere although I don't recall where that changing crystals is illegal under FCC law, mandate, code, whatever they have. This is the reason why recivers and thier corresponding TX modules come with pre-installed crystals. You are expected to get lucky and end up with the desired channel.

Yes, the crystal cover is hard to get off, but I like it that way since you know it will not fall out unintentionally.

uppy 01-19-2002 12:12 AM

I think that people buy separate modules in the event they want to run a different frequency range... I use a Ko Mars that was originally 40 Mhz but since 40 band recievers and crystals are hard to find in North america and plus it isnt legal to use 40 band in America right? So I switched to a 27Mhz module and use 27mhz recievers which are pretty common here in canada. Modules just allow a radio to be used in different places where different frequency allocations are in effect.

BagofSkill 01-19-2002 02:36 AM

I have an M8. The only time you could ever need to change the module is if you want to change bands between 27MHz, 40MHz and 75MHz. To move within each band all you have to do is change the crystal set in the transmitter and reciever. This is just as easy to do as in any other radio on the market. I did read somewhere that the US has a law saying that you have to treat the module as one unservicable unit, but that's crap. Just change your crystals, it's easy and causes no damage at all. Just make sure you get spare crystal sets in the right range. You can't use a 40MHz crystal in a 27MHz module. It won't work. And you have to treat the module and reciver as a pair. Only 27Mhz modules will work with 27Mhz recievers, only 40 with 40 and only 75 with 75.

antoniop 01-19-2002 04:09 AM

Originally posted by PeterC
I remember reading somewhere although I don't recall where that changing crystals is illegal under FCC law, mandate, code, whatever they have. This is the reason why recivers and thier corresponding TX modules come with pre-installed crystals. You are expected to get lucky and end up with the desired channel.

Yes, the crystal cover is hard to get off, but I like it that way since you know it will not fall out unintentionally.

That's certainly not the case in Radio Control...
If you go to a race you need to have at least two frequencies (two pairs of crystals) in case someone the same freq.

The Sanwa/Airtronics is sold in the american market with the Airtronics name on it, but in Europe it's the Sanwa M8.

In here we use 40 Mhz but there you use 27 and 75. The pistol is the same but the module must be the correct one for any given geographic area. That's why it's a separate piece.

A racer coming to Europe needs a module in 40Mhz and a receiver in 40 Mhz (of course).

BigDogRacing 01-20-2002 08:39 AM

Originally posted by antoniop

That's certainly not the case in Radio Control...
If you go to a race you need to have at least two frequencies (two pairs of crystals) in case someone the same freq.

The Sanwa/Airtronics is sold in the american market with the Airtronics name on it, but in Europe it's the Sanwa M8.

In here we use 40 Mhz but there you use 27 and 75. The pistol is the same but the module must be the correct one for any given geographic area. That's why it's a separate piece.

A racer coming to Europe needs a module in 40Mhz and a receiver in 40 Mhz (of course).

Why, you can't use 27 or 75 mhz in Europe?

antoniop 01-20-2002 12:19 PM

We can't in some countries because the 27 and 75 Mhz is allocated to other uses.

With the EEC the members agreed on using RC equipement on the same ranges, namely 40Mhz for surface and 35 Mhz for air.

If this was enforced correctly a sanctioned race would only allow 40Mhz but we see guys with radios bought in the US using 75 and even 27 (this is really risky). They run the risk of getting signals from wquipement other than RC. I stick with the approved ranges.

(I wonder if I can use 40 Mhz in a plane unable to take off :confused: ) LOL. That is surface anyway....

PeterC 01-20-2002 08:07 PM

What I stated earlier was just hearsay. I know that you are expected to bring at least two different crystal sets to a race. Thinking a little harder, I recall the receiver being the item you cannot change crystals on. It might be different in Europe.

Yeah, I knew the M8 is marketed under the Sanwa name outside of North America. The wheel does have the Sanwa logo on it. :D
Is JR known as Graupner(sp?) there too?

Running an illegal frequency such as 40mhz in the US will get you a preety big fine of up to $10,000 if you get busted.