R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2003, 07:37 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Me+RC=$$$ Send a message via Yahoo to Me+RC=$$$

Well, I have a question. If I made my second pass not so light, is it going to affect my bit that much, or do you think i'll be ok? I mean it wasn't really deep, but it wasn't as light as the others. Thanks a lot guys!
Me+RC=$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:04 PM   #17

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Just make sure you dont gouge it, just keep making light skims. It cuts better that way. Also put some lube on the where the armature spins, prevents marring of the armature.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:57 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Me+RC=$$$ - If you make a cut that is too deep you'll usually find that the finish sucks, but if you go back and make another light pass it should make it nice and shinny. I've made about 15 passes so far and my carbide bit still gives a great cut. Just take your time and you'll get really nice results.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 10:33 PM   #19
Tech Regular

thanks fatdoggy. I got it done and it came out VERY shiny When I hold it up to the light it has little wavy lines in it, is this normal? Thanks for all the help-Mike
Old 10-05-2003, 11:15 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Making a pass with the bit is only the first step. After you take the arm back out of the lathe, take your exacto blade and run it along the inside of the three grouves in the comm, to get out the junk. Then take a ball piont pen, and run the tip back and forth a couple times along each of the 3 grouves in the comm. This will take off the sharp edge left.

FYI, I run the 55t motor with a normal 1400 6 cell, and the speed is perfect.. no need to break it apart.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:19 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Yea, I did all that good stuff, put it in and it wasn't bad for a Trinity
I'm beating my head on the desk now for taking it apart after hearing that. I get like maybe 4 minutes out of the battery before it dies. Had to recharge it 3 times before I finally got it done. Oh well, I have another 6 cell I'll use
Old 10-05-2003, 11:21 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
wasn't bad for a Trinity
...maybe thats why it was in my junk box
Old 10-05-2003, 11:27 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Me+RC=$$$
I get like maybe 4 minutes out of the battery before it dies. Had to recharge it 3 times before I finally got it done. Oh well, I have another 6 cell I'll use
hehe.. i can cut and clean up the comm in less then a minute, and the lathe usually doesnt run for longer then 15-20 seconds.

Dont forget to oil your comm before you cut.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:37 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Me+RC=$$$
thanks fatdoggy. I got it done and it came out VERY shiny When I hold it up to the light it has little wavy lines in it, is this normal? Thanks for all the help-Mike
Yes that's normal.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #25
Tech Regular

I did, I marked it with marker before I cut it, made my first pass, oiled it, and made another pass, then oiled again for the other 2 for safe measures It shouldn't have taken as long as it did for me to do it, but I was fiddly farting around while it was on, I'm stupid that way
Old 10-05-2003, 11:42 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, it all sounded so complicated at first like when I first charged my NiMh's a while back, but it's pretty simple. I think I'm going to stock up on bits. My buddy has 7 motors he needs cut
Old 10-05-2003, 11:43 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by holycow
hehe.. i can cut and clean up the comm in less then a minute, and the lathe usually doesnt run for longer then 15-20 seconds.

Dont forget to oil your comm before you cut.
Cool, it usually takes me quite a while to get the depth right so I can make a light pass. You get better with practice I guess...
Old 10-06-2003, 06:33 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Default depth of cut

Ive been a diemaker for 30 years and the best method to get the depth of cut you want is to go to a tool outlet like harbor freight and pick up a cheapo mag base and an indicator to go with it. You can usually get the whole deal for around $20 or less. set it up to show the travel on your carriage and your good to go. This is a whole lot more accurate than the scribed dial. Also, once you get the indicator and base you'll find a bunch of other uses for it.
ghoulardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:36 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

Default ooops!

I forgot to mention that you'll have to remember that a move of .001" on the indicator will make the diameter of the com .002" smaller.
ghoulardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:04 PM   #30
Tech Addict

You dont need tools or even a shapie to make a perfectly light pass... this is what I do.

I put my depth meter (whatever it is called) at 0. Then i loosen my bit set screws, and move the bit up so that it makes contact with the comm, then tighten down my screws. Then i back the bit off, turn on the lathe, then just go 1 mark past my 0, and vuala, a realy tiny cut, perfect every time. Everybodies lathe will be different, just pay attention to how far you move your guage, and soon you will be able to just set it, and go.