R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
I have the same problem. My friend asked me why I didnt make my son do all the work on his car.

I remember how overwhelmed I was with my first RC car and how I almost quit a few times so I'm having him start out with small things and eventually work his way up.
My son doesn't do the work yet, but he watches and wants to learn. Even something as simple as putting in the batteries and putting on the body. Watched a few times, then asked if he could do it.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
I have the same problem. My friend asked me why I didnt make my son do all the work on his car.

I remember how overwhelmed I was with my first RC car and how I almost quit a few times so I'm having him start out with small things and eventually work his way up.
It can be frustrating for sure, but I sarted him with small things like when we went racing he would be on tire duty, cleaning tires in between qualifiers.Then graduated him to tires and keeping his car cleened off. then to actually start maintaining it and fixing it when it broke.Now we are up to the only things I do for him are shocks,diff re-builds and any soldering work.Shocks are next for him. One other thing I started doing along the way is trying to teach him responsibility as far as if he breaks it, he replaces it.He gets an allowance for doing chores around the house, so If he breaks a steering knuckle He buys a set to replace the ones that get used from our parts box.He kinda thought that was unfair, so I said OK Ill tell you what, I will buy all the parts if you just pay your entry fees when we go race.That happened 1 time when he realized that his entry fees were like $30.00 a race day he thought it was a pretty good deal that he just replaced what he broke.His next step in financial responsibility will be tiresHe's going to learn how much tires cost During the summer when we race dirt and we both run 2 cars I spend about 100.00 a month just on tires. During the winter when we race 1/12 its like 80.00 a month. I will say I have seen a difference in how he treats his cars since he has started shelling out some of the money to keep them going.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My son had been racing off and on since he was 5. It started in off road, but because of the throttle issue and not being able to clear the jumps like the rest of the adults he hated it. I finally started taking him to a on road track and he ran his first tcs race, came in 3rd in spec and loves it. I think the difference is in on road you can slow the car down to a drivable speed, and all he has to do is keep it between the lines. Off road has jumps etc. I have him set up with a dual diff combo, it really seems the easiest for him to work around the track. Good Luck!