Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
IFMAR Electric Chairman resigns over decimated 12th worlds attendance? >

IFMAR Electric Chairman resigns over decimated 12th worlds attendance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFMAR Electric Chairman resigns over decimated 12th worlds attendance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default IFMAR Electric Chairman resigns over decimated 12th worlds attendance?

www.ifmar.org

Go to Contacts

It appears that the IFMAR Electric Chairman has resigned.

My understanding is that he was pivotal in forcing a decision to run the just completed 2008 12th worlds on asphalt. The result was a halving of the entry count compared to Italy 2006.

Sounds like a good enough reason to me. Hopefully we can get back to real 12th scale racing in 2010.

12th is a carpet class. The people voted with their feet. Lets not make this mistake ever again.

Regards

Mark
Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Boo hoo.. This guy should have grown a set of balls and kept his position. If drivers didn't make preparations for racing on asphalt and decided not to come, it's their own fault. Everyone was racing on the same asphalt, so competition was just as fair as it would have been on carpet. Honestly, I think it's more interesting to watch racing on asphalt. Seriously.. when was the last time that real race cars were screaming around on a giant rug???
Old 11-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

He has resigned since August. I don't know why IFMAR haven't published that earlier
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Boo hoo.. This guy should have grown a set of balls and kept his position. If drivers didn't make preparations for racing on asphalt and decided not to come, it's their own fault. Everyone was racing on the same asphalt, so competition was just as fair as it would have been on carpet. Honestly, I think it's more interesting to watch racing on asphalt. Seriously.. when was the last time that real race cars were screaming around on a giant rug???
When was the last time you an AWD Mohawk or R9 racing in full-scale? I say rotate the surface for 12th scale AND TC. This year was asphalt, they should BOTH be on carpet in 2 years.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
When was the last time you an AWD Mohawk or R9 racing in full-scale? I say rotate the surface for 12th scale AND TC. This year was asphalt, they should BOTH be on carpet in 2 years.

I seriously hope they don't run sedan on Carpet...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I seriously hope they don't run sedan on Carpet...
Sedan is AWESOME on Carpet, especially on the gigantic flowing tracks they run ETC races on. The first time Sedans appeared at an IFMAR event they were run on Carpet.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ernie P is a D-Bag. End of story.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

can someone explain why 12th scale has to be on carpet? I'm sure the true racers can adapt their cars to either or with ease.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

12th scale is gay
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by redbones
can someone explain why 12th scale has to be on carpet? I'm sure the true racers can adapt their cars to either or with ease.
It doesn't HAVE to be on Carpet, but that's where the cars are at their best. Running 12th scale on asphalt is like racing off-road in the grass. It's still racing, but not really the way it was intended to be.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
12th scale is gay
And touring car is nothing but 4wd off-road's inbred little cousin.......
Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
That's what I was wondering as well. A good driver will be able to run on ANY surface.

I second the idea of alternating the surface, Asphalt one year, carpet the next etc.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

I would say that 1/12 cars need, due to the size and construction of the car, a very flat surface, and dustfree as well. Meaning practice on your own is useless. On carpet, the chanse to gain information is higher even if the race is on higher grip tracks.
A full suspension 1/12 would work on asphalt, but it would just be a downscale touring car with another body.

The information regarding Ernies resign was interesting!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think almost ALL JMRCA 1/12 racing is on asphalt...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
It doesn't HAVE to be on Carpet, but that's where the cars are at their best. Running 12th scale on asphalt is like racing off-road in the grass. It's still racing, but not really the way it was intended to be.
Loving this quote... Most UK off-road racing is on grass ("this green and pleasant land") - you'll find plenty of people that disagree with what you are saying. The UK has produced an off-road world champion in Neil Cragg and multiple European champions.

And a lot of Japanese 12th racing is on asphalt - I don't think multiple WC Masami thinks it is not as it was intended.

Sounds like a lot of this is sour grapes because US drivers are not winning world titles, and in many cases not even bothering to enter. Just because the world championship is not to the US rules doesn't mean they are not as the racing was intended to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.