R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

When running mod(3.5-4.5BL), Trackpower 4900 25C packs, and SMC 5000 28C packs provide more acceleration and rip off the line, and gets to top speed quicker than 20C packs, Like Orion 3200, 4800, CORE5000, etc.

It is a noticeable difference!!! The Trackpower and SMC packs just give you more punch, acceleration, and do remain cooler after a 5 min run, than the 20C or 15C packs.

In stock or super stock, I really havent noticed a difference, except when going from an Orion 15C 4800 pack to an SMC5000 pack...but milder.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

With batteries you get what you pay for so you should get the best battery you can afford. Better cells will not only provide more puch but also last longer.
track-attack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
When running mod(3.5-4.5BL), Trackpower 4900 25C packs, and SMC 5000 28C packs provide more acceleration and rip off the line, and gets to top speed quicker than 20C packs, Like Orion 3200, 4800, CORE5000, etc.
The combo of mah and C rating will always trump a pack that hinges on C alone.

I've always gone with the 'stuff the biggest pack you can into your car' rule of thumb
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Default amp draw???

= load on the motor.
1983.TC3,XXXS,MI3,JRXS,DB12R,TC5R,JRXSR,PRO4,CYCLONE,SC8,SC10,009,HPI BLITZ,LOSI 8,b4.1,b44,serpent impluse,serpent impact 2wd,serpent impact m2 4wd.HotBodiesD8.RC 8.2 .SC 10#2.sc10 4x4.b4 2wd buggy.scte4x4 losi.techno dno8 conversion.Techno Rc8.2. Amsoil.Vp.TeamManager Fuel throttle motor sports.G's . JUICE RACING LLC.COM AND ON FACEBOOK. THE JUICE RACING.
baf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #20
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

Yep, my general rule of thumb for lipos is "biggest C rating with the biggest capacity you can afford"
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Just to throw a spanner in the works IB's are rated at 10C and yet are still good enuf for mod.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #22
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
Just to throw a spanner in the works IB's are rated at 10C and yet are still good enuf for mod.
yeah but with 5 cell the packs really heat up...
6 cell no idea, never got a chance to run mod with 6 cell nimh
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
yeah but with 5 cell the packs really heat up...
6 cell no idea, never got a chance to run mod with 6 cell nimh
its the same for 5 cell and 6 cell more voltage on offer equals more current draw by the motor. so they may even heat up more!!
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire [View]

Which IB's are you referring too?? NiMh's??

Last edited by FFR1; 11-13-2008 at 02:11 AM.
FFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

probably, since he mentioned 10C, and no car specific lipos have that low of a rating.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
I tend to disagree. A higher C pack will ALWAYS be able to provide a higher voltage under ANY load. Both packs may still be in their usable C range, but a higher C will hold hold a better voltage, providing more current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
A winner !!!

More C = more speed
Not really,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Packs with a lower internal resistance will almost always feel like they have more "punch", since they can deliver that current easier.
C rating is really a safety rating for the battery. Exceed the C rating on the pack, and the safety of the pack is compromised.

Interal Resistance is totally responsible for voltage underload which equals accelleration.

There is a corelation to C rating and lower IR, but not all similar C rated lipos will hold the same votlage under load because of the IR. Look at A123 batteries. They were the first 30C battery, yet thier voltage underload was like 2.0V. It was the fact that the battery could withstand the abuse of a 30C load is what makes them awesome. Now that LiPOs are catching up in C rating, A123's are loosing their edge.

IMO the best way to rate LiPO's and all other batteries would be by PEAK WATTAGE! There comes a point where an increased ampload will result in a greater decrease of volatge under load. At that point, any load higher will have less total wattage delivered. The Rating could be as simple as 560watts @ 100A and it would end the confusion about C ratings.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

Location: Too close to the great mouse house known as Disney World.
Send a message via Yahoo to Stone D

I'm running an iP 3200 mah 30c pack. By the above formula, it produces 96 amps. My esc is rated at 400 amp/phase bl. I'm running a Novak 13.5 SS pro.

I realize this is not a real "hot" motor, so I believe I should be safe with this setup. But can anyone tell me how to figure the power draw of this motor? I didn't see anything in the spec sheet that came with this motor.

But I am worried that I tried to go too cheap getting back into the hobby, and may have gone too cheap on the battery. Will this provide the proper power?

Just practicing in parking lots, I seem to have very long run times. This indicator tells me that I'm not overdrawing the pack, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Especially when I do start to feel ready to step up and try my hand on race day.
Stone D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Trailranger, C rating is not only a safety rating, it is also a measure of the total performance of the battery. How do you think that manufacturers come up with the C rating anyway? They measure it by measuring the batteries voltage under current loads and seeing how well it holds up. A 35C battery can handle 23.57% more current and maintain the same voltage a 25C pack would.

Absolutely will a higher C pack make you quicker, especially for stock. A stock motor will indeed draw well over 100A. Please refer to my dyno thread and see for yourself. Both a Novak and Hacker 13.5 will draw over 100A for almost half a second and by that time, the motor is already spinning close to 4000 RPM. A higher C rating means that the battery has a lower internal resistance and the voltage will hold up under load, meaning you will have more torque. You should notice more punch with a 35C battery.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have run a Core 5000 20C old, a fairly new SMC 5000 I think 28C, and a TP 5000 40C and I am appreciably faster as the C rating goes up. This is in 17.5 the C rating or something is making a difference both in lap times and seat of the pants rip.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #30
Suspended

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Here is Antonio explaining what is his definition of the C-Rating
hobbypartz is offline   Reply With Quote